Transkei Trip.

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Raam
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Legend 40

Transkei Trip.

Post by Raam »

I am planning to make a trip down to Transkei over the coming long weekend.
do you guys have any recommnedations on places there for accomodatin ?

Tx
Raam
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Transkei Trip.

Post by Mud Dog »

Do you have a destination in mind?

It's been quite a while since I was along that coast ... camped every time, but there are guys here on the forum that have been to various places from both ends that should be able to give you a more up to date report on accommodations. "Firstgeer" and Haboob" are also planning a trip for next weekend. Hopefully you will get some input from them. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Raam

Post by Raam »

Thanx.
Have never driven 4wd before... only picking up my bakkie tomorrow morning... so any advice/help will be appreciated.

I have made enquiries for accomodation at the White CLay Resort... await their feedback. Wanted to go to Coffee Bay or Mazeppa.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Transkei, my favourite place in SA, stlill want to do a 2 week trip through there.

Coffee bay, backpackers is good and have a cosy campsite, good party scene
Also there is Mdumbe backpackers 1hr north from Coffee bay, also have nice campsite bit more relaxed than Coffee Bay.

Then there is Breezy point, place is beautiful,
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
James S
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux D4D Auto

Post by James S »

I visited White Clay this past December. What a nice place!! They have only a couple of campsites but the view, location and little restuarant (with bar and DSTv for rugby / sport) is a really nice to have.

Location is almost on their private beach and close to all other spots in the area. You won't be dissapointed!!
James S
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux D4D Auto

Post by James S »

Forgot to add some pics!
Attachments
IMG_0386-800x600.jpg
IMG_0373-800x600.jpg
IMG_0372-800x600.jpg
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

White Clay is nice and tranquil, but so is Mazeppa Bay ..... Mazeppa Bay and Coffee Bay are much more scenic. You can camp at either or there's the Mazeppa Bay Hotel (we always camped or stayed at a friend's cottage). The Backpackers in Coffee bay sounds like it's a lot better now than in years past. The road down to Mazeppa used to be quite bad, but I doubt whether you will need 4x4 anywhere unless you go on little excursions along the coast at the place you choose to stay.

Just thinking ..... I may have got it wrong, Firstgeer and Haboob might be doing the Eight Passes, so they wouldn't be anywhere near the coastal resorts.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Frost
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Fortuner 3.0D4D, Gadgets.

Post by Frost »

Raam,

White Clay is most definitely a good spot to stay over.
Little bit further down that road is Coffee Bay Hotel, which offer good rates and ofcourse, the hole in the wall!
Many good memories from the backpackers there!

The Port St Johns route is also always a good destination and very scenic, bit more of a tropical surround than the coffee bay route.
If you do go that way, I would suggest Jungle Monkey Backpackers at First Beach, or Amapondo backpackers at second beach. Always something happening there.

Then theres always Haga Haga and Mazeppa further down the coast toward East London, not sure what your travell time looks like, but also worth the trip to go and check out teh Trennery's and Wavecrest hotel route closer to Kei River mouth.

Let us know how you go.
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Haga haga is a nice enough place .... not in the T/Kei though .... close to EL, about half way to Kei Mouth.

Looked back for ant pics I might have .... only found a couple of Port St. Johns ..........

PSJ268.JPG
PSJ275.JPG

Just don't try book in at the Cape Hermes Hotel! :D:

PSJCH93.JPG

What a pity, used to be a pretty good and well know hotel in it's time. (Another black empowerment project that saw it's Moses). :(

Padmaker
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: De Aar
Vehicle: 2.7 vvti

Post by Padmaker »

Don't forget to plan the trip to go over the ferry at Kei mouth. I think there is only 2 ferry's still in use in SA. I stand to be corrected.
Raam

Post by Raam »

Wow... I wasn't expecting such helpful advice and pointers... :thumbup:

Thanx guys.
Frost
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: Fortuner 3.0D4D, Gadgets.