Roads that need permits

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Roads that need permits

Post by Mikie »

So when I did my long weekend trip (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25024), after Kaapschehoop, I tried to avoid the N4 and my gps routed me past Sappi and up a road that seemed to be a forest road, but I got to a boom and teh Guard said I needed a permit to use the road.

Does anyone know anything about these roads? Where do we get permits? Where are these roads? It looked like it could be very scenic and I would have loved to take the road, where can I find out about more of these types of roads around SA? Would be nice for future trips
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Roads that need permits

Post by OOOOMS »

I don't know where you can get permits of if it even exists.....

My mate stays out in White River on a farm, and the just put up a boom gate to stop trucks and quads racing up and down the roads. Suppose you can get a permit from him if he is in a good mood..... :mocking:
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

OOOOMS wrote:I don't know where you can get permits of if it even exists.....

My mate stays out in White River on a farm, and the just put up a boom gate to stop trucks and quads racing up and down the roads. Suppose you can get a permit from him if he is in a good mood..... :mocking:
:lmao: :deadhorse:

This was a Sappi road, and the guard had no issue letting us through, but provided we had a permit
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Dept of Fisheries and Forrestry should be able to assist. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Mud Dog wrote:Dept of Fisheries and Forrestry should be able to assist. ;-)
Nope. Most of the plantations around here in the Lowveld are private or para-statal property- Sappi, Lomati, Komatiland or just plain private farms. They're becoming very touchy about access through the plantations- fire-safety mostly, but also danger- logging trucks have right of way- not good for smaller vehicles. Then also unscrupulous loggers actually steal timber from the plantations/forests. Also if you don't know your way in those plantations- you will get lost- most of those logging roads/tracks are not on T4A.

It is not impossible to get permission, but not easy...
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Thanks Hennie, this one I was routed on with the GPS was there, I basically follow the GPS, taking unmarked roads isnt somethign I often do
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Thanks for that Hennie :thumbup: ..... makes complete sense .... am fully aware of all those conditions because of our place on the Hogsback (Amatola mountains) where we have our own forestry plantation which borders on govt forestry reserve. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

:thumbup:
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”