The latest trend in Moz?

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

The latest trend in Moz?

Post by Mikie »

has anyone else heard about this trend?

Kidnapping for ransom

A good friend of mine was warned by a travel agent on a rise in these occurences, more up north, apparently mor Somali involvement as well, targetting travellers in quiet more secluded places.

Any truth to this rumour?
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: The latest trend in Moz?

Post by george »

Mikie wrote:has anyone else heard about this trend?

Kidnapping for ransom

A good friend of mine was warned by a travel agent on a rise in these occurences, more up north, apparently mor Somali involvement as well, targetting travellers in quiet more secluded places.

Any truth to this rumour?
This is bad.I will hide this thread form SWAMBO. I am planing going north in November :evil:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I am doing Ponta in 2 weeks and if all goes great there then want to plan a trip further north next year.
SO when I heard this I was not impressed.

A quick google search give a few links on this, seems to be some sort of Gang targetting Asians and Muslims, the folks with lotsa cash. lets hope so, and leave the travellers alone
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Mikie wrote:I am doing Ponta in 2 weeks and if all goes great there then want to plan a trip further north next year.

A quick google search give a few links on this, seems to be some sort of Gang targetting Asians and Muslims, the folks with lotsa cash. lets hope so, and leave the travellers alone
Geez lets hope so.I drive a 99 Hi-Lux so hopefully they will think I dont have lots of cash
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

george wrote:
Mikie wrote:I am doing Ponta in 2 weeks and if all goes great there then want to plan a trip further north next year.

Geez lets hope so.I drive a 99 Hi-Lux so hopefully they will think I dont have lots of cash

:lmao:
Put some fur on your dash they will really think you not worth targetting
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I have not heard of that one, but the one I heard off goes like this.

Do not drive at night because they take the corpse of somebody who died of aids and through it in front of an oncoming vehicle. When you stop they accuse you that you killed the guy. They then claim thousands from you because they lost an income.

A friend of a friend has been locked up like that and still have to go back to Moz for the trail, after a month they at least let him go but have to go for the court hearing.

While in the cell he learned of another guy who had bigger problems, same happened to him but he decided to drive away. They caught him and I don't know what happened to that guy.

This was about 18 months ago.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Its so sad that things like that happen in a place that stand to benefit so much from Tourism

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”