Etosha, Caprivi, Chobe and eastern Bots

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Etosha, Caprivi, Chobe and eastern Bots

Post by mushroom »

Howzit Gang,

Its that time of year again...travel time :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

So heres the plan...
Nam 2013.jpg
Leaving JHB on the 26 October and returning 17th November. Is anyone else going to be along the way for a cold beer and a howzit? In particular, will anyone be up in Mamili? I have heard you don't go there solo (we are solo :thumbdown: :thumbdown: ), but Im dying to see the place....

Till then.....
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Re: Etosha, Caprivi, Chobe and eastern Bots

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Maggies lyk na n lekker trip - n paar interessante plekke -julle moet dit geniet
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

did it SOLO in May - no issues :) :)

it is so busy with tourists there is no such thing as "solo" any more.

Caprivi - DONT underestimate the length of this stretch !! And it is mostly at 80 km/h ! That said, if you race you may well miss the elephants standing 20 to 30m away from the road.

In the Caprivi strip, well just before it actually, we stayed at Kombat Lodge - WELL WORTH IT !! :)

Kwando Camp near the "end" of the Caprivi strip was also VERY nice.

Just left of the Ngoma border post, on the Namibia side, there is a "Chobe lodge", interesting place even though we did not stay here.

At the Ngoma border post, DO have a picnic/lunch pack ready ready - as you drive over the river the bridge has THREE parking spots to stop and picnic ! JIP, the river is that wide .... sadly the river may well be LOW at the time you are going, still may be a nice picnic in no-mans land.

Drive through the Chobe park to Kasane. For lodges, try Water Lilly Lodge - 2-star, but good value for money, about P700 per night for 2. Or drive past Kasane to Senyati Safari Lodge - NICE camp, and only P270 for two per night.

If you have spare time in Kasane DO stop in at PANGOLIN photographic safaris (opposite the Fire Department).

PS - as you enter Botswana you pass a foot-and-mouth point, and your red meat and fresh produce may be confiscated ... You CAN restock everything in Kasane. From Kasane down to Nata everything will again be confiscated - we were not able to get meat in Nata (the sight of a butcher cutting pieces of meat off a slab of red meat is not something we are used to..)

ENJOY !!

ENJOY !!
Johan Kriel
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Okahandja
Vehicle: 2.5 SC 4x4

Post by Johan Kriel »

How long is the trip, its a lot of driving!
Johan Kriel

Legend 50
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Hi Guys,
Its over 23 days, with a couple of long days (400klms odd), and then lots more rustig days...we basically do Rundu to Katima over 4 days, with stops at Ngepi and Malyo on the way. We will certainly take a picnic on the bridge Chris, as for Kasane, we are booked into Ihaha for three nights, and from there we might push to elephant sands or re-visit Senyati (nothing like sucking a cold one on Oom Louws deck late in the afternoon with all those ellies coming down to drink :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: ).

We have 4 days to get up to Etosha, via Kang, Gobabis, Naankuse, Otjiwarongo. 6 days in Etosha, and then on down the Caprivi area. Has anyone done the Mudumo, mamili to Katima stretch?? - it looks lekka, and better than hitting the tar from Ngepi through to Katima.

(the sight of a butcher cutting pieces of meat off a slab of red meat is not something we are used to..)
:laugh2: :laugh2: been there, done that in Nata. We learnt very quickly that one needs to shop for the "night" when heading south - the hacking of meat off the block wasn't the issue, it was the layer of flies on the meat that put me off a bit :o: :o:

Thanks for the tips guys.....
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

I see you say long days (400 kms odd) - reminds me when we drove from Etoshia to Cape Town in 23 hours :lol: or from Vic falls to Etoshia. Enjoy
Rianc
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2.8GD6 Double CabHilux 4X4

Post by Rianc »

Looks like a lekker trip you planned. At least the flies keep the meet moist! Enjoy
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Niel wrote:I see you say long days (400 kms odd) - reminds me when we drove from Etoshia to Cape Town in 23 hours :lol: or from Vic falls to Etoshia. Enjoy
Niel n vriend was bietjie "haastig" van Windhoek tot in die Kaap - op n super bike ...... was iets soos 10 of 11 ure gewees !! :shock:
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Daai moes n adrenalien rush gewees het. :thumbup:
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Has anyone done the Mudumo, mamili to Katima stretch?? - it looks lekka, and better than hitting the tar from Ngepi through to Katima.

Yes, I have done this stretch, but a number of years ago. We stayed at a very nice community camp on the river (can't remember the name, but if I went through old photographs, I may be able to find it), which was still being built at the time. Hippo come out at night & eat around the vehicles parked on grass/lawn (kept trimmed by the hippo's. Mudumo & Mamili should be nice at that time, as it could be just before the rainy season. The road is a good gravel road, with turn offs to the different places. Was not at all well sign posted when I was last there, & I did not have GPS in those days, so had to explore all the little trax to find anything. Enjoy...
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by mushroom »

Okay, so the ETD has been pushed out by one day....now there's no excuse to leave anything behind :lol: :lol: T-2 and counting...cant wait... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beach: :beach:

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”