Meat from Maun to Makgadikgadi.

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Meat from Maun to Makgadikgadi.

Post by Racing snake »

I know this is a topic which has been flogged to death but can one take fresh meat from Maun to Khumaga in Makgadikgadi pans national park? It's going more East than South but there does seem to be a veterinary cordon fence on the way.
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: Meat from Maun to Makgadikgadi.

Post by Thunder02 »

Racing snake wrote:I know this is a topic which has been flogged to death but can one take fresh meat from Maun to Khumaga in Makgadikgadi pans national park? It's going more East than South but there does seem to be a veterinary cordon fence on the way.
The last i remember you may take north,and not take meat south.There is a map of the red,green zones,just can't remember where :think:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Found it :celebrate:
Bots.jpg
(247.26 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

www.4x4direct.co.za
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

Thanks Neil. Suddenly it's as clear as mud. Only kidding, the map shows clearly that we cannot take fresh meat to Makgadikgadi pans. :( :( :(
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

:welcome:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Brian, Make a plan. Vacume pak your meat from a safe area & keep it away from cooler boxes & Fridge/Freezers when going through vetinary points(Pak in RTT). When through the Vetiranary Posts, find a cooler place to store. Pack flat in newspaper & plastic bags, wrapped in bedding will keep it frozen for a whole day. The vacume packed meat will then also not drip blood if it starts to thaw. The vacume pack will prevent it from going off. I would not try this with chicken, pork or fish. I am not advocating the black market moving & dealing in meat products illegally, but am against the exploitation of the meat legally purchsed south, taken north & the same meat then brought back south, by of some of these officials. If found, this meat can be braised there next to the road & taken through as cooked meat. I know that we often do not have the time to do this, but we also do not always have enough cash to give the officials a couple of hundred rands worth of legally aquired meat. I also have heard that you can get perfectly good meat in Botswana, etc. I have on a number of occasions, seen people who do not want to make a plan, stuck with tough meat, for their yearly holiday. Iget my meat from my local butcher. He hangs it for as long as I want it hung, then vacume packs it & I never have tough meat for my yearly break away from work. MAKE A PLAN. I do not steal meat along the way. I do not buy from Foot & Mouth Areas, it all comes from our family butcher, 100 % legal. I just make sure that it accompany's me the whole way there & what is left comes home with me as I will always take a pack or two extra for emergencies. Good Luck & don't get caught.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"
Adventures4Christ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux d4d 3

Post by Adventures4Christ »

It all depends on how bad the infections or sickness are and also how hungry the guys are at these points! Bringing fresh meat down is a BIG no no, they actually search the tourist vehicles especially is there is a fridge in the back.

We were there a few weeks back and they didn't search us or even stopped us once other than having to spray the wheels and dis-infect the shoes. So it depends really on the time and season I think.

I never said this :blushing: but having a hidden cooler bag with ice somewhere for the steaks does help if you know you going through a stop point, just make sure there is a cold coke in the fridge or a few and offer the person one, gets very hot and friendliness always helps :siffler:

The one before and after Nata is rather tough sometimes......but again in my last two trips I had no issues or searches but trips before that, we have lost some nice meat and biltong!!!!
Blessings - Adventures4Christ - Dewald - http://shop.adventures4christ.com/
Gal 6:9 "So let's not get tired of doing what is good. . ."
Rom 10:15 "How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news (Gospel and Salvation)!"
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Please don't stick your meat in the roof top tent,they have become wise to this.

www.4x4direct.co.za
Adventures4Christ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Thunder02 wrote:Please don't stick your meat in the roof top tent,they have become wise to this.
In that heat, they can't take it, as it will be cooked already :lmao: :lmao:
Rom 10:15 "How beautiful are the feet of messengers who bring good news (Gospel and Salvation)!"
optirite
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort Dam
Vehicle: 1993 80 Series Land Cruiser (3UZ-VVTi)
Club VHF Licence: J91

Post by optirite »

Guys it is really simple.
Buy your meat and cook it in a frying pan for literally 2 secs each side, then repack it in zip locks and place back in your fridge. It does not effect the meat and it is "cooked" so will get through any road block or vet fence. Failing that phone the state vet and see what the situation is at the moment.
Image kiss kiss
Adventures4Christ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

optirite wrote:Guys it is really simple.
Buy your meat and cook it in a frying pan for literally 2 secs each side, then repack it in zip locks and place back in your fridge. It does not effect the meat and it is "cooked" so will get through any road block or vet fence. Failing that phone the state vet and see what the situation is at the moment.
Great advice :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”