Dirt Road from Long Tom Pass to God's Window?

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Midrand
Vehicle: 3.0 D-4D 2X4 Manual Fortuner

Dirt Road from Long Tom Pass to God's Window?

Post by WildWill »

Hi

Im putting together a combined road/off-road ride for a buch of adventure bikers and the idea is to ride from Lydenburg to God's Window, covering as much of the distance on dirt as possible. So far I know of the dirt road opposite the Misty Mountains Lodge, which is approximately 20km into the Long Tom Pass from Lydenburg, direction Sabie. This road is know as the Old Mail Coach Pass and it bascially takes us all the way down to Sabie. I thus need something from Sabie towards God's Window, and would like to know if there are any recommendations on potential offroad routes/tracks. Assistance highly appreciated!
Dingo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 95 4x4 DC Hilux, 7MG engine, EFS suspension, Home made custom off-road canopy.

Re: Dirt Road from Long Tom Pass to God's Window?

Post by Dingo »

Willem, yes you're correct, that road starts basically directly opposite the entrance to Misty Mountain and comes out on the Bridal falls road.

We did a trip from Sabie all the way to Mariepskop via dirt, I'll see if I can get the details of that road for you. This road runs at the bottom of Gods Window.

You can also go basically from Sabie to Pilgrim's Rest via dirt aswell.
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

Thanks Dingo! Look forward to your info.
Arras
Town: Graskop
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Arras »

Keep in mind that the roads mentioned is on private property, and that it is preferable to get permission first.
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

Thanks Arras - which routes specifically are you referring to?
Arras
Town: Graskop
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Arras »

There are a few public gravel roads that one can use. But then it will have a "D" number and be signposted by the national roads department.

All the routes discussed above for instance from Longtom to Sabie, or from Sabie to Graskop will entail going through private forestry land for certain stretches. York Timbers and KLF for instance.

The forestry companies are not to keen on the publick traveling their roads, as it is a risk to them in a number of ways.

You can understand the problem they will have if this practice becomes the norm and they have scores of bikes, quads, 4x4 bakkies etc. racing up and down their roads every weekend and even in the week.

Although use of these roads are strictly prohibited and the companies have roaming secuirity that police unlawfull access, you may PM me, and I will see what I can do to be able to get you a access permit.
WildWill
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by WildWill »

Arras, offer of assistance highly appreciated! PM to follow.

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”