Maanhaarrand Pass

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Maanhaarrand Pass

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Hi All

Has anybody driven over this pass recently from Magaliesburg to Buffelspoort dam over the Maanhaarrand pass? As I will be going to Buffelspoort Damn on Sunday

From a site if found Mountain passes this is what they had to say.

'and the condition ranges from poor to terrible. However, providing you are in a 4x4 vehicle or at least a commercial vehicle with good ground clearance, it is most certainly doable.' not sure when this was written?

By the way the site lists every pass in the country from tar to dirt to almost goat track for those that are intrested here is the link http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Re: Maanhaarrand Pass

Post by Oupa Stig »

This was asked not too long ago - perhaps the chap who asked could tell you...? Went over myself more than a year ago - 4x2. No sweat, but with rains it might have become somewhat worse. No platkar. Ground clearance important.
Let us know, as I like taking the young ones for daytrip to Mountain Sanctuary Park to float around in their pool with a view.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

We went over there about three weeks ago and its not too bad if you have sufficient ground clearance. Definately not meant for a platkat. But having said that one of the families in our party did not know aboutthe condition ofthe pass amd mistakenly took it to buffelspoort in his c class merc. He got over it with only some minor damage to the underside. Had to pack more rocks though. Dont need 4x4 but do need a bit of clearance. Only one section was really bad the rest was okay.
Stunnig views and well worth the effort. I take this route to rustenburg every time just for the view. Even though it takes me an hour or so more (always stop near top for a small picnic)
ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

grobbepj wrote:We went over there about three weeks ago and its not too bad if you have sufficient ground clearance. Definately not meant for a platkat. But having said that one of the families in our party did not know aboutthe condition ofthe pass amd mistakenly took it to buffelspoort in his c class merc. He got over it with only some minor damage to the underside. Had to pack more rocks though. Dont need 4x4 but do need a bit of clearance. Only one section was really bad the rest was okay.
Stunnig views and well worth the effort. I take this route to rustenburg every time just for the view. Even though it takes me an hour or so more (always stop near top for a small picnic)

Ek wil hom sommer gaan ry vir die grap.. gee bietjie inligting hoe om daar te kom asb..
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
Pote
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Fortuner D4d 4x4 & VW Passat
Club VHF Licence: X228

Post by Pote »

Hi Hennie.

Gaan kyk hier. Daar is al die informasie..
http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co ... vince.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ForYota
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: Sold my beloved Lux..

Post by ForYota »

Pote wrote:Hi Hennie.

Gaan kyk hier. Daar is al die informasie..
http://www.mountainpassessouthafrica.co ... vince.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Dankie :thumbup: :thumbup:
ImageImageImageImage

If I can't go in my Hilux I ain't Going
Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Thanks guys

The wife will not allow me to drive that route on our way to the dam but will have no say on the way back.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

The pass is only a bit rough on the top, no serious 4x4ing. You have some lovely views from the top. I went over that route two weeks ago.
Obelix and Dogmatix

[img][IMG]http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p64 ... 196258.jpg[/img][img][IMG]http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p64 ... 3b700f.jpg[/img][/img][/img][img][IMG]http://i1344.photobucket.com/albums/p64 ... 7ec471.jpg[/img][/img]

Here are some photos Taken on the pass, I agree that this pass needs only high clearance and some common sense to drive over. But it is totally worth it as the views towards the buffelspoort dam are stunning and the rock formations are beautiful.

well worth it to do as a Sunday drive.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”