Eureka City

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 Hilux Raider 3.0 D-4D D/C 4X4
Club VHF Licence: X209

Eureka City

Post by Samurai »

Hi! I would like to find out if anyone here has done this trail and if they have any feedback? I would like to plan it as a day trip, only 1 vehicle, unless there is someone else willing to go too! :cooldude: (Would probably be the 26 April 2014).

https://www.driveout.co.za/trails/eureka-city/

Many thanks :thumbup:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
For he who today shed his blood with me shall be my brother."
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Re: Eureka City

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

looks awesome!! after a quick read of the link and a quick google earth fly around I think this area deserves more than a day trip. Enjoy and let us know what it was like.
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Samurai »

It does look quite awesome! I will be staying at a guesthouse just outside of Barberton for 3 nights, so thought I would do this trail on one of the days! As far as I have gathered, it's free to do the trail, but they do welcome donations. Just waiting for more feedback, especially now after all the rain. :thumbup:

"from this day to the ending of the world... we in it shall be remembered. We lucky few, we band of brothers.
warthog
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Barberton
Vehicle: Fortuner 4.0 V6 Auto, LRFT, Dual Batt, OME's, BFG AT's, ARM comp, 800w inv, Roofrack

Post by warthog »

Stuart, speak to Rassie Schoeman- he owns Oppikoppi guest lodge in B'ton, he'll be able to give you all the jam.

Will send you his nr.
Hennie
ImageImage

Live simply, Love generously, Care deeply, Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Jos 24:15: "As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord"
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Samurai »

Thanks very much, I would really appreciate it! I see you're from that area, have you done the trail? Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

So Samurai Did you go and what was it like? :subscribed: :subscribed:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Samurai »

WQN wrote:So Samurai Did you go and what was it like? :subscribed: :subscribed:
Hahaha, you're on my trail!! :lol: :lol:

Yes, we went... Was a disaster...!

I had arranged the permit well in advance from Barberton Tourism (BT) to do the trail as it was part of the mining area. So we set off in the morning, signed the indemnity forms and got the permit in town and headed for the start of the trail.

We got the the gate and it was locked... Just then the lady from BT phoned me and told me there was some issue with the key, security could not find it or something. Anyway, she asked if we would mind starting the trail from the opposite direction (Sheba Mine's side). So we headed off to Sheba Mine. Now we had to find the end point of the trail, it was not marked at all and the security guards we spoke to at different locations had no idea what we were talking about.

Eventually, after driving around for over an hour at Sheba Mine, we came across a boom gate at a stream. This was apparently the end of the trail. Part of the trail had been washed away due to those heavy rains we had, and there was no ways to cross the stream either...
Boom.jpg
So that was that. Nobody had done the trail since the heavy rains, so that's why the condition of the road / trail / end point was not known. They are apparently planning on sorting out the trail and charging people to do it. If I had paid for the trail and couldn't do it, then I would've been upset! It was rather disappointing though...

Obelix and Dogmatix

Pity as i am planning on going that way in October, will check to see if repairs had been made. :boredom:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Samurai
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Samurai »

WQN wrote:Pity as i am planning on going that way in October, will check to see if repairs had been made. :boredom:
Ok, great! Good luck! :thumbup:

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”