Sani pass

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: IFS 2.7i 4x4. IPF spotlights. Duel battery system. Custom roofrack.

Sani pass

Post by Velo son »

Hi all

We are planning a trip through Sani pass. Not sure when though.
The idea is to drive from Pretoria to Underberg and sleep there somewhere.
The second day we would go up Sani pass and enjoy the rest of the day there.
Third day we want to hike to the summit of Thabana Ntlenyana and sleep somewhere in the veldt.
Fourth day hiking back to Sani top and drive further into Lesotho and sleep somewhere.
Fifth day: travel further until reaching the border near Fouriesburg, enter SA and back to home in Pta.

I would like to add that the "we" I have been referring to is a group of students with minimal monthly allowance.
THUS, accommodation shouldn't be fancy and as cheap as possible (preferably camping).

Do anyone have any ideas or tips regarding the drive, accommodation and hike?

Thanks
Life starts when the tarmac ends.
I'll only lose my way in the city lights.
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city.
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Sani pass

Post by george »

Sounds like fun
Sani Top have backpacker accommodation and if you have time visit the Katse dam and do on of there tours.It something like R20 a person and is very much worth your while.There is also camping at Katse
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
grobbepj
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

Subscribed...
Am planning a similar trip for aug and will be nice to see the inputs you get.
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

Hi SW,

To answer all the questions involved here.

Best is to take one day to Himeville, sleep in the Himeville arms hotel, but ask for the back packers room. Sleeps 4 pax at ease, bathrooms is close by and neat and so is the braai facitlity. There is also a pool and bar to cool off. next day rise early, take time and enjoy the pass and stop often to enjoy the views and waterfalls ect. Don't be tempted to rush to the top. Try to reach the summit round 11- 12 midday. Backpackers @ Sani top is popular so booking is highly recommended. Neat but very basic facilities.

Camping is option two but is then a relative short walk from ablutions.

Have done both options and camping is my prefered option.

Arrange the guide to take you to the summit of Thabana Nltlenyana. Do this when you get to the pub, speak to the barman he knows the people there and will tell you when to meet the guide to discuss options. Hike is tough and takes about 8/9 hours to the summit and back. Negotiate the price first but be ready to leave before sunrise on the hike. It is worhtwile doing it.

Going in from Sani Top lodge, Katse Dam is a full days driving and camping is available there also. Other route is via Oxbow lodge and the northern route. You can stay over @ chalets in the sky on the northern route also as it is close to a mine but still require 4x4 to get to.

Hope this helps a bit.
Johan Marais
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Good advise by Johan
Going in from Sani Top lodge, Katse Dam is a full days driving and camping is available there also. Other route is via Oxbow lodge and the northern route. You can stay over @ chalets in the sky on the northern route also as it is close to a mine but still require 4x4 to get to.
We took the southern route to Katse which has a lot less tourist.
You can stay at the Molumong Lodge.
Here is some info on our trip.
http://jmvgt.blogspot.com/2012/08/lesotho.html
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Velo son
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: IFS 2.7i 4x4. IPF spotlights. Duel battery system. Custom roofrack.

Re: Sani pass + Katse

Post by Velo son »

Update on the information I have gathered to this point:

We will travel to Himeville _ Underberg area and speep at Sani Lodge backpakers. The next day we will do the Sani pass and spend some time at the pub, then we will make sure all equipment is ready for the hike. Third day, hike to Thabana Ntlenjana and spend the night there, somewhere. Fourth day, hike back to Sani top where we left the Hilux, travel North towards Mokhotlong, sleep next to the road. Day 5 - 8: Travel further into Lesotho, spending time in the rivers with the fly rods in search of those nice yellows. During day 5 - 8 we will pass through Mokhotlong, Thaba Tseka, Katse and Katse. There are 2 roads traveling parallel to the Katse, we will be driving the western road, its a dirt road and it would offer safer open air sleeping spots. During day 9 we will pass through Hlotse and Peka, exiting Lesotho through Peka Bridge border post, we will sleep on a farm near Clocolan. Day 10 we drive back to Pretoria through Marquad, Senekal, Arlington, Lindley, Petrus Steyn, Frankfort, Villiers, Heidelberg and finally home.

I spoke to Johan Badenorst who confirmed that the roads to be travelled in Lesotho are very scenic and the Katse is a must see when visiting Lesotho. The Sani top lodge is a safe place to leave the Hilux for 2 days and that we should be safe sleeping next to the roads. We will take some extra fuel and water. He said that beer (Maluti) should be for sale everywhere.

We will do this trip early January 2015. We will be 4 students, each contributing about R2700, this covers all expenses as well as a roofrack on the Hilux itself (I will manufacture the roofrack myself) (Enquiries: swroofracks@gmail.com).

I traced the path we will be traveling with red on the attached picture, green is inside SA.
Lesothosml.jpg
Life starts when the tarmac ends.
I'll only lose my way in the city lights.
I'd rather be lost in the woods, than found in the city.

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”