Accommodation in Kasane.

Need some information for an upcoming trip or have questions about a camping site, etc, ask it here.
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Accommodation in Kasane.

Post by Racing snake »

I've stayed in the Kasane area 4 or 5 times before. First at Chobe river lodge (Camping) and lately at Senyati. Looking for an alternative where: 1) Chalet. 2) They don't charge dollar rates. 3) I can park my vehicle close by to clean out and re-supply after a bit of camping.

Senyati was always a good option but the rates have risen at the same rate as level of service has dropped. The newer zinc roofed units are as hot as hell and don't keep any insects out. Seems one cannot book and pay for the thatched units and expect them to be available when one arrives. You, apparently, just get what's available on the day. Totally unacceptable.

Toro lodge seems to be off the grid.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Re: Accommodation in Kasane.

Post by ChrisF »

Look at Waterlilly lodge
Racing snake
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Fortuner

Post by Racing snake »

As it turns out Savuti was horrible. We left a day early and headed north towards Kasane. Came across Muchenji Chalets and Camping. What a find. Beautiful shaded campsites most with views over the Chobe flood plain. Top class ablutions plus a swimming pool. Bronwyn, the proprietor, produces the most amazing salad packs, from her own veggie garden. We bought a couple and were still eating fresh salad 4 days down the trail. She also has a limited stock of very good meat and basic essentials. Muchenji is just short of the Ngoma border post into Namibia. It's also just short of the south entry into the Chobe river road area. Easy access with no congestion.In my opinion, the find of the trip. We will definitely be back.
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy

Post by ChrisF »

Sounds like a real gem. Thanks for sharing.

Please tell more of your trip.
mushroom
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: '16 Legend 45 DC 4x4M

Post by mushroom »

What made Savuti horrible ? like Chris, Im keen to see the TR :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Q20 if its stuck, duct tape if it moves :shock2: :shock2: :shock2:
DeonV
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Hartbeespoort
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 d4d
Club VHF Licence: HC229

Post by DeonV »

Muchenje is great, stayed there in July, nice views over the wetlands. Stayed in Kasane for a few days afterwards and will definitely take Muchenje any day over the place we stayed at in Kasane.
Attachments
Muchenje forum1.jpg
Muchenje forum.jpg
Haboob
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: King Williams Town
Vehicle: Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC129

Post by Haboob »

Thanks for this feedback. I had it in the back of my mind to camp there, but Chobe Lodge Campsites were just to close and convenient for our River cruise and for the game drive into Chobe the next morning at sunrise.
Agree that Senyati has got very expensive and gone downwards in their setup.
Will definitely look at going to Muchenje on our next outing in that vicinity.
Also interested on your take about Savuti, as this was one of the wifes favourite campsites in the bush. We were also supposed to go there now past August, but we broke a shock, for which we could not find a replacement, so cut our trip through Bots by more than a week. We lost about 110mm of ride height, but still managed about 7 000 kms with the broken shock. A little nerve wracking, but still did most of what we wanted to do including the thick sand going out of Chobe near Ngome gate. We did more ploughing than driving, but still managed.
HABOOB means "Dust Storm"

Return to “Route Planning questions/discussions”