How many months should a 1000 pieces of wood last you?

What do you like/dislike or use/not use
Post Reply

How many months should a 1000 pieces of wood last you?

2
14
34%
4
15
37%
6
6
15%
8
3
7%
10
0
No votes
12
3
7%
 
Total votes: 41
User avatar
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Real Name: Stephan
Club VHF Licence: X108
Location: Parow

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi guys. A quick poll out of curiosity.

How many months should a 1000 pieces of wood last you?
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Image
Image
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 19884
Joined: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:09 am

Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:19 pm

What type of wood? For fire place...braai how often?
User avatar
Mud Dog
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 28793
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:18 am
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Real Name: Andy
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:23 pm

Is this a trick question? :) .... If it's matches, maybe a month or two ... if it's braai wood and you only use a kettle braai, maybe a year (6 months for an open fire). :think: :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Image
Image

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy
Real Name: Chris

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:26 am

preferably not more than 2 months, in reality it lasts between 3 and 4 months for us.
User avatar
ThysdJ
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16699
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:31 am
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Real Name: Thys
Club VHF Licence: HC102
Location: Brackenfell
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:39 am

nee daai braai en kaggel ons sommer gou op... :lol: :lol:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
User avatar
Mud Dog
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 28793
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:18 am
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Real Name: Andy
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:22 am

Two weeks if you don't have electrickery! :twisted: :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Image
Image

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
User avatar
ThysdJ
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 16699
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:31 am
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Real Name: Thys
Club VHF Licence: HC102
Location: Brackenfell
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:37 am

Problem with the wood here in CT is it is so wet, it takes 2 months to get the fire going... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I usually buy 1000 pieces long before I need it, and let it "dry out" in the rain... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
User avatar
Johannes van die See
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 2211
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 pm

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:08 am

ThysdJ wrote:Problem with the wood here in CT is it is so wet, it takes 2 months to get the fire going... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I usually buy 1000 pieces long before I need it,and let it "dry out" in the rain... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dis nou iets wat sommige mense nie kan verstaan nie, hout wat uit droog in die reen, goeie een.
Ek het meer as n jaar terug 1500 stuk rooikraans gekoop en het maklik nog so 600 stuk oor, maar nou ja ek braai baie wanneer ek by die huis is maar is ook net 6 maande van n jaar by die huis.
http://www.goblacksam.com
Image Link Broken
Langebaan Lagoon & Deep Sea Fishing Charters
User avatar
Hilux 1
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 4084
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:24 pm
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2000 Raider 2700i 4x4 Double cab. met "rock sliders" en Powerflo stainless exhaust
Real Name: Tertius
Club VHF Licence: HC137

Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:58 am

Braai so 1000 stompies binne n maand uit. wil hoekal nou so 2000 stuk weer bestel. wie het goeie pryse? anders ry ek maar weer n ent.
User avatar
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Real Name: Stephan
Club VHF Licence: X108
Location: Parow

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:21 am

Ek vra maar net uit curiosity . . . My laaste 1000 het 4 maande gehou . . .
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Image
Image
User avatar
0000DS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:35 pm
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: Tuna, 4X4, Longrange Fuel tank, BF's AT, Intergrated bumber, Roofrack, Awning, Air suspension,winch
Real Name: Danelle

Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:31 am

SideKick wrote:Ek vra maar net uit curiosity . . . My laaste 1000 het 4 maande gehou . . .
If you look at the poll%, the moral of the story is .....
you braai too little :twisted:
Image
User avatar
NardusJVR
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Posts: 177
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:23 am
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: hilux 2.8TD
Real Name: Nardus
Location: Louis Trichardt
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:26 am

Jong, soos ons braai hi in die noorde is daai hout sommer gou gou op!
User avatar
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:16 am
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4
Real Name: Gideon

Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:11 pm

6 maande en dan braai ek baie, om 1000 stompies in 1 maand selfs 2 maande op te braai wil gedoen wees, jy moet seker 'n bees elke maand koop of 'n bakkie vrag snoek. Hout is duur, rooikrans gaan binnekort R1 'n stompie wees, maar koop sal ek hom koop.

Hoe gemaak as die hout opraak en mens nerens meer kan hout koop nie? Hoop dit is nie in my tyd nie, 'n vuurtjie is darem maar lekker. Ek gaan sommer nou nou 'n vuurtjie maak en rump steak, free range hoender en bees worsies braai. Hoop julle maak ook almal vanaand 'n vuurtjie.
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
User avatar
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Posts: 528
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 pm
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2
Real Name: Anton

Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:13 pm

Kameel-doring so 3-4 maande, die hout wat ons hier kry is gewoonlik nat, brand vinnig uit.
User avatar
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1454
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:34 am
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2007 3.0 d4d DC 4x4
Real Name: Shaakir

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:04 pm

Johannes van die See wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:Problem with the wood here in CT is it is so wet, it takes 2 months to get the fire going... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I usually buy 1000 pieces long before I need it,and let it "dry out" in the rain... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dis nou iets wat sommige mense nie kan verstaan nie, hout wat uit droog in die reen, goeie een.
Ek het meer as n jaar terug 1500 stuk rooikraans gekoop en het maklik nog so 600 stuk oor, maar nou ja ek braai baie wanneer ek by die huis is maar is ook net 6 maande van n jaar by die huis.
OK I don't get it ... :oops:
Is the "dry out in the rain" thing a joke ... or is this a special technique.

I ussually buy 100 pieces at a time, and it last me like a year
Looks like I have to up my game to keep up with you guys :oops:
I ussually buy it, and let it lay around the garage for a few months to "dry out".
I hate using wet wood. I only use wood for braaing, and not for making fire in fire place.
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - current) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 tdi LX D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
User avatar
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 am
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Real Name: George
Club VHF Licence: HC107
Location: Langebaan
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:35 pm

OK I don't get it ...
Is the "dry out in the rain" thing a joke ... or is this a special technique.
Hi Shaakir.The thing about wet wood is not really moisture(water) from outside.It is when the cut the living tree and it still have its own juices inside that are causing the wood to take longer to catch fire."Dry" wood is wood that have been cut down and been laying for a while to dry out its own juices.Think of it as dead wood and wet wood you can rather call it green wood.
Hope that makes sense :alvarin:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
User avatar
Niel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7477
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4
Real Name: Niel
Location: Bellville
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:36 pm

dalkill wrote:I ussually buy 100 pieces at a time, and it last me like a year
then you only do marshmallows :twisted: :lmao:
User avatar
dalkill
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1454
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:34 am
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2007 3.0 d4d DC 4x4
Real Name: Shaakir

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:50 pm

Niel wrote:
dalkill wrote:I ussually buy 100 pieces at a time, and it last me like a year
then you only do marshmallows :twisted: :lmao:
i ussually only braai fish i catch :wth: :lmao:

George, so what you saying it's the juices in the freshly cut wood that makes for poor burning... and even if it lays in the rain, once that juices dries out from the inside it should burn ok?

On that point , what is the preferred wood for braai and potjie? Quite new to this whole potjie business.
End of last month only made my 2nd potjie ever. Was 200% improvement over my first :oops:
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - current) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 tdi LX D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
User avatar
Niel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7477
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4
Real Name: Niel
Location: Bellville
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:57 pm

dalkill wrote:i ussually only braai fish i catch
all good :thumbup:
dalkill wrote:George, so what you saying it's the juices in the freshly cut wood that makes for poor burning... and even if it lays in the rain, once that juices dries out from the inside it should burn ok?
100% wet wood does take longer to burn and does give better coals
User avatar
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 am
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Real Name: George
Club VHF Licence: HC107
Location: Langebaan
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 pm

You must catch more fish then :mrgreen:
IMHO "Kameeldoring" gives the best coal.But in Cape Town Rooikrans/Port Jackson/Rooiputjie is all alien vegetation with a relative decent coal.So with them you just make a bigger fire and you do something for the planet :yahoo: and it is good for the "kuier" :twisted:
dalkill wrote:
Niel wrote:
dalkill wrote:I ussually buy 100 pieces at a time, and it last me like a year
then you only do marshmallows :twisted: :lmao:
i ussually only braai fish i catch :wth: :lmao:

George, so what you saying it's the juices in the freshly cut wood that makes for poor burning... and even if it lays in the rain, once that juices dries out from the inside it should burn ok?

On that point , what is the preferred wood for braai and potjie? Quite new to this whole potjie business.
End of last month only made my 2nd potjie ever. Was 200% improvement over my first :oops:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
User avatar
Niel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7477
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4
Real Name: Niel
Location: Bellville
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:04 pm

george wrote:You must catch more fish then
:lmao: :lmao:
george wrote: and it is good for the "kuier"
kan jy nog want ek sien George Pub was lank toe :wth:
User avatar
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 am
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Real Name: George
Club VHF Licence: HC107
Location: Langebaan
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Jy sal my moet kom wys
Niel wrote:
george wrote: and it is good for the "kuier"
kan jy nog want ek sien George Pub was lank toe :wth:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
User avatar
Niel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7477
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4
Real Name: Niel
Location: Bellville
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:08 pm

se wanneer dan bring ek n paar stukke rooiputjie saam
User avatar
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Posts: 6649
Joined: Wed May 23, 2007 11:16 am
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Real Name: George
Club VHF Licence: HC107
Location: Langebaan
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:16 pm

Klink reg dan red ons sommer die planeet ook :twisted:
Niel wrote:se wanneer dan bring ek n paar stukke rooiputjie saam
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
User avatar
Niel
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 7477
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4
Real Name: Niel
Location: Bellville
Contact:

Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:31 pm

100%
User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy
Real Name: Chris

Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:11 pm

klaar ge-eet, nou steek ek die vuur aan net vir die lekker .... :)

en SO sien n 1000 stukkies GOU sy "as".


en hoe harder die reen knetter op die dak hoe meer hout sit ek op die vuur. :)
User avatar
Gideonvanzyl
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Posts: 546
Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 9:16 am
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 D/C 4x4
Real Name: Gideon

Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:02 pm

nice!!
Toyota Hilux 2.7 Legend 35 (Bullnose) 2003 d/cab 4x4 with Cooper Discoverer AT 3's on with unichip and Powerflow exhaust. Name: Blouwillebees
User avatar
SideKick
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Posts: 1129
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux '89 2.2 (4Y) EFI D/C 4x4, Mikem Suspension, PowerFlow Exhaust, BroSpeed Branch, 31" M/T, Long Range Fuel Tank, Front Diff-Lock
Real Name: Stephan
Club VHF Licence: X108
Location: Parow

Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:57 am

ChrisF wrote:klaar ge-eet, nou steek ek die vuur aan net vir die lekker .... :)

en SO sien n 1000 stukkies GOU sy "as".


en hoe harder die reen knetter op die dak hoe meer hout sit ek op die vuur. :)
Daai is presies waarheen my houd ook verdwyn!
Stress: :irate: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's desire to choke the living $H!t out of some asshole that desperately deserves it!
Image
Image
User avatar
ChrisF
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler
Posts: 8280
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:56 pm
Town: inniedorp
Vehicle: Toy
Real Name: Chris

Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:02 pm

dalkill wrote:
Johannes van die See wrote:
ThysdJ wrote:Problem with the wood here in CT is it is so wet, it takes 2 months to get the fire going... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: I usually buy 1000 pieces long before I need it,and let it "dry out" in the rain... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dis nou iets wat sommige mense nie kan verstaan nie, hout wat uit droog in die reen, goeie een.
Ek het meer as n jaar terug 1500 stuk rooikraans gekoop en het maklik nog so 600 stuk oor, maar nou ja ek braai baie wanneer ek by die huis is maar is ook net 6 maande van n jaar by die huis.
OK I don't get it ... :oops:
Is the "dry out in the rain" thing a joke ... or is this a special technique.

I ussually buy 100 pieces at a time, and it last me like a year
Looks like I have to up my game to keep up with you guys :oops:
I ussually buy it, and let it lay around the garage for a few months to "dry out".
I hate using wet wood. I only use wood for braaing, and not for making fire in fire place.
Put a few pieces of "wet\green" wood on paving and wash it down with a hose pipe.

come back two days later and see the stains on the paving ! This is the moisture in the wood that was washed out by the water.

so YES, rain or hose pipe DOES dry out wood faster - but it is something you do this week to dry it out for next week ....
Post Reply

Return to “Polls”