KZTE Gearbox wanted

Looking for something? Ask for it here.
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:02 pm

I am looking for a R151 KZTE 4x4 Gearbox.

If you know where I can find one please let me know.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC. Rear diff-lock, Red Peppor Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Kirisun radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Rear Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:00 pm

You wrote:If you know where I can find one please let me know.
Usually found behind a KZTE motor. :twisted:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
GRWLR ZN
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux - Lexus V8

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:23 pm

Usually found behind a KZTE motor. :twisted:
[/quote]

:lmao: :lmao:
Funny :taunt:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm

Somehow I don't think Pieter was as amused as you, Louis. :D:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
pietpetoors

Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:13 pm

Ha ha, I was dumbstruck, I could not beleieve that I could miss the obvious.

By this time I should know where to find it. :D:
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC. Rear diff-lock, Red Peppor Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Kirisun radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Rear Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front, 25watt LED Spots
Mud Dog

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:55 am

Jest aside, what are you needing it for? You going to swop the 3RZ for a Lexus 1UZ?

pietpetoors

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:20 pm

MMmmmm , no 1UZ not for me

5VZ
Mud Dog

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 am

I like the 5VZ as well. Nice strong reliable motor, just the fuel economy that sucks. But then the 3RZ is not really better on economy either.

Your 3RZ must be getting a bit long in the tooth now and the 5VZ is a much younger series. Spares for this motor should still be available for a long time to come.

I have toyed with the idea of a 5VZ myself in the past, but the poor economy always put me off. Now with the recently bought SFA that has an old Essex V6, I might be forced to look at it again. The old Essex was a fairly good motor in it's day and a popular conversion but on economy it's useless (worse than 3RZ, 5Vz and 1UZ), and although it's been rebuilt I'm not going to throw money at it if it starts giving trouble.

The thing is that the old SFA box could handle the Essex because the power was not very much better than the original 4Y or 22R and if I were to go the 5VZ route when the time came to replace the Essex, I would have to change the box as well. Because of this I was thinking that the 4GR or 5GR may be possible options - they're both 2.5lit V6's and probably have less torque than the 5VZ, so the old box may be able to handle them.

Being a much younger generation than the 5VZ, they should perform pretty well by comparison and with better economy. I'm just wondering if you gave them any consideration?

pietpetoors

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:49 am

To me performance is not the major thing. I like torque, if I never have to rev the engine above 3,000 rpm I would be happy.
George gets 8km/l with his Prado, I get between 6 and 6.5 with the Hilux. Fuel economy will either be the same or better.

We once towed an old Landy on a car trailer for Barrydale to Langebaan with George's Prado. The Prado did not notice the empty trailer on our way there and on our way back it did not battle with the Landy. Where my Hilux with 3RZ even battles with the empty trailer, not even to speak about the trailer with Landy.

My current gearbox is apparently strong enough for the 5VZ but I am after the lower revs of the KZ-TE and also as far as I could find out the KZ drives it's 5'th gear with a gear and my current gear box drives it with a chain.

If George do 120km/h in the Prado with the overdrive on, his engine runs about 2,500 rpm and the engine is happy there.

O ja, and I think the 5VZ is as ultra reliable as the 3RZ and reliability is also a main concern to me.

For my taste the 1UZ is too big, too wide, battle to get it in, battle to service and has too much power, start breaking things if not careful.
Mud Dog

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 pm

Makes sense, also why I don't want to go the 1UZ route when the time comes. Did you not even consider the 4GR or 5GR motors?

pietpetoors

Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 pm

No I haven't, I want someting simple.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:27 pm

pietpetoors wrote:
Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:49 pm
No I haven't, I want someting simple.
V6 Vigo or Revo!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.

Return to “Wanted”