Fuel gauge not reading correctly.

Modifications to your Toyota Fortuner
Wild D4D
Town: Johannersburg
Vehicle: TOYOTA FOR

Fuel gauge not reading correctly.

Post by Wild D4D »

Hi my fuel gauge reading wont get to empty. Ive have ran my tank dry and got stuck. Any tip to fix it.

Image Link Broken

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Last edited by Mud Dog on Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image resize
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Fuel gauge not reading correctly.

Post by Mud Dog »

The problem could be originating from the sender unit in the tank. That's where I would start unless this is a common problem with your model where the problem is with the electronics or the gauge itself.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

New cluster. Don't take the tank out its the cluster
Wild D4D

Re: RE: Re: Fuel gauge not reading correctly.

Post by Wild D4D »

MCHILUX wrote:New cluster. Don't take the tank out its the cluster
Tnx. So i must replace the cluster unit.

MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

Yes common problem on them
Wild D4D

Post by Wild D4D »

Hello everyone, update on the issue the cluster was replaced and the issue is still there. My fuel gauge doesnt drop to empty level it gets stuck on quarter empty level. What else can cause this problem.

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

As I said earlier, the problem could be originating from the sender unit in the tank. This is generally more common with older vehicles as the sender units are quite robust and take a long time to wear and develop problems, but if you're in the habit of riding with a ½ or ¼ tank of fuel rather than keeping it topped up, the fuel will sloshing about much more and the float swing-arm will also be more active, particularly in the lower range of the movement.

The way it works is there is a contactor that slides up and down over a winding on a plate as the float moves up and down, and this is where the wear takes place.

Unfortunately to check it you will have to remove it and that means dropping the tank.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Vr2 Instruments
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: None

Post by Vr2 Instruments »

I dont know if you still have this problem. Did you replace the cluster with brand new one or second hand one?
We have found that alot of these clusters give this problem. We have always just repaired the cluster and the problem was solved. If you got a second hand cluster, chances are good that it was already broken.
Dirka
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Doornpoort Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 4X4 Auto DC

Post by Dirka »

That looks like a cluster for a Vigo..yes?
Then it is easy.
Disconnect the 5-pin pump and guage connector at the tank.
Switch on the ignition.
Fuel guage must show E..for empty..as in nothing..all the way down.
If not - then it might be the cluster, or in some cases the harness (which I doubt).

On the 5-pin plug (harness side): short out pins 2 & 3.
Switch on the ignition.
It must now show F..full..

If the above tests correct, then only I will start looking at the sender unit.
Aikona take out tank yet..that is a murske job.
First I will try and find out the resistance measurements for the sender unit at pins 2 & 3.
..then do the testing with a multimeter.
At empty the measurement should be very close to open circuit.
At full something like 8 ohm or so.

Measurements not ok?
Well then...tank removal tools..check...case of beer..check...whole saturday gone...check...
lots of foreign vocabulary...check..

I got arrested for driving naked. I guess I shouldn’t have put four wheels, an engine, and a steering wheel on my bathtub.
I’m a do-it-yourself kind of lover.
” ― J. Kintz
mostert
Town: pretoria
Vehicle: hilux 2013 d4d

Post by mostert »

Vr2 Instruments wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:47 am I dont know if you still have this problem. Did you replace the cluster with brand new one or second hand one?
We have found that alot of these clusters give this problem. We have always just repaired the cluster and the problem was solved. If you got a second hand cluster, chances are good that it was already broken.
hi there! im trying to fix my problem also. it doesnt go to empty and gets stuck between half and 3/4 full.
looking at it my best guess would be to replace the stepper motor, but it doesnt make sense as it does go thru the full range when you start the car? what did you do to fix yours sir?
:thumbup: :thumbup:
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Did you unplug the plug at the tank like Dirka said in his post?
Unplug the plug and see if it goes to E
Switch on the ignition.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Silent Wheels
Town: Newcastle KwaZulu-Natal
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux

Post by Silent Wheels »

Hie guy's, I also have the same problem on my Toyota hilux 2015 2kd, fuel gauge does not go below half even if it's empty, I replaced a fuel gauge bought one from Toyota but still the problem is there, when I unplug the socket on the gauge it goes right down to empty, but when I put the plug back it goes to half tank with the tank empty please help
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Dirka wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:29 pm That looks like a cluster for a Vigo..yes?
Then it is easy.
Switch on the ignition.
If not - then it might be the cluster, or in some cases the harness (which I doubt).

On the 5-pin plug (harness side): short out pins 2 & 3.
Switch on the ignition.
It must now show F..full..

If the above tests correct, then only I will start looking at the sender unit.
Aikona take out tank yet..that is a murske job.
First I will try and find out the resistance measurements for the sender unit at pins 2 & 3.
..then do the testing with a multimeter.
At empty the measurement should be very close to open circuit.
At full something like 8 ohm or so.

Measurements not ok?
Well then...tank removal tools..check...case of beer..check...whole saturday gone...check...
lots of foreign vocabulary...check.

Did you read this and follow the procedure? Did you replace the fuel gauge unit or the whole cluster? The problem described by a lot of the guys is that there is a problem in the electronic circuitry of the cluster itself which causes the faulty reading .... there is nothing wrong with the gauge, it's just getting false signals.

Ronwob
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Stil Baai
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Ronwob »

I just had my Hilux serviced this morning by Toyota Hillcrest.
They removed the cluster from the dash and resoldered some connections. This apparently is treated as a recall. No Charge. It takes less than 15 minutes to solve this problem. This seems to be a common problem with the faulty indication.
Toonto
Town: Southampton
Vehicle: Surf

Post by Toonto »

Hi. Mine kzn185 was, and with a 100% full tank still is reading just under 1/4. It went to full after the fill but then went wrong after I disconnected the battery for other maintenance.
I disconnected the batteries again then took the cluster out and gently slowly moved the needle to full and empty. It was free and ranged fine. I put it on empty and reinstalled the cluster then reconnected the battery. The needle gently went up to where it had been before, just less than 1/4. So the gauge is doing something.
I took the carpet up under the near side rear seat and found the inspection plate. Three screws released it. Ignition on. Reading1/4. Removed the sender plug. Needle went to empty. Plugged it in again, needle went to same 1/4 position.

So I think the sender unit is stuck. What do you think?

Looks like in need to drop the tank now? Is that a terrible job? (Tank is full so it needs to wait for 350 miles) Or drill some extra holes around the inspection plate so that I can undo the screws that can’t be reached holding the sender unit flange on so it can be “jiggled” a bit?
Or just drive around a bit and see what happens?
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

With your symptoms, I tend to agree that it is the sender unit. I would remove the fuel tank. It is not an overly complicated job. If you have access to a hoist it would be easier. It can be a bit of a struggle to remove the fuel pipes as well as the plugs for the wiring. A trick with the fuel pipes is to grip the hose where it is pushed over the fitting and to twist it. The hoses tend to “stick” to the fittings over time and that bond is more easily overcome by a rotational force than trying to pull the hose or going at it with a screwdriver.

Return to “Fortuner”