The Promised Land, of every second vehicle a 4x4. . .

Other Toyotas like Twin Cam Corolla, Tazz, RunX, etc
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Richards Bay
Vehicle: 1984 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 SFA ; 2011 Fortuner 4x4 ; BMW 650 GS

The Promised Land, of every second vehicle a 4x4. . .

Post by cyborg »

The Promised Land
Hi All,
I find myself in Nigeria, (first serious African trip. for work... and not in my own Hilux either, so that does suck, but hey...)
I am amaised at the amount of HUGE bakkies, 4x4’s and SUV’s.

I’m sure this is nothing new to many of you, but it is awesome! Many big American Fords, GMC’s, G-Wagon, Range Rovers, the beautiful Toyota Tundra and a Prado for every Corsa, Getz and Yaris that we have on the road in SA…
Look, it’s doing nothing for our planet, and there’s a lot to be said about their Oil industry and the pollution etc. but for the moment I simply can’t help but missing my Hilux . . . And day dreaming of buying one of these beauties and driving all the way home... I've long since been attracted the the Tundra
Attachments
Mooi.jpg
Hilux 4x4. . . . :thumbup:
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Re: The Promised Land, of every second vehicle a 4x4. . .

Post by cyborg »

The picture is of a Sequoia. Huge thing. Here the Fortuners are almost a Mid Sized Family vehicle...
Agteros
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Post by Agteros »

Gerald - what is the price of the Tundra over there?

What engines do they come out with?
2020 FJ Cruiser
1986 Hilux DC 4x4. Sold to the Boss :cooldude:
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Have been driving through Moz and now in Tanzania and it is Toyota galore :celebrate: Lots of Hilux's.I was even made on offer on mine. Must say apart from the Hilux the Surf stood out :thumbup: I also saw the V8 Diesel Cruiser Truck :drool:
http://www.toyota.com.au/landcruiser-70 ... Mate_Specs
Power
- Maximum power kW 151
- Rpm for maximum power 3400
- Maximum torque Nm 430
- Rpm for maximum torque 1200
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Rockhead
Town: Black Creek BC
Vehicle: Tacoma

Post by Rockhead »

This is my Sequoia with the 5.7 petrol engine. It would sure be nice if it was a diesel.We don't have any big SUV's with diesel engines anymore.
Speed is a substitute for clearance.
Lappe
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Groot Marico posbus 02 2850
Vehicle: hilux v8 Lexus

Post by Lappe »

Because of the oil, there is a huge American influence, you will also see this if you look at the houses build all over Nigeria.I worked over there in 2004, and we travelled with the newest Prados at that time.But that is one country where you don't want to be the driver and i gladly swapped the driver seat for a crew seat.If you think the taxis in SA , have bad road manners, give Nigeria a try.
Hiding doesn't stop evil, Return fire does
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by cyborg »

Agteros wrote:Gerald - what is the price of the Tundra over there?

What engines do they come out with?
Well, they're mostly V8's and the the prices are crazy. ( http://www.cheki.com.ng/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) go check out this website for some pics.
The Naira is +- 155 to $1
So for a 2010 Tacoma V8 you can pay about $30k - $35k, they import a lot of USA cars, they call it Tokunbo = fairly used. And the Surf features very heavely too.
What I found interesting too was that you can buy a Tokunbo Super Bike, like an '05 CBR 1000 for N300 000 +- R10k
I just wish I could figure a way of getting something like that into SA. Though if you see what the cars look like, you probably wouldn't want one anyway, since you'd spend more on body repair, because, it seems to me that not many cars make it to 15 years, max, before they just start falling apart.

But there is so many vehicles, the traffic is so hectic that if you leave the island to go to the mainland around 5 or 6 you will get home maybe 20 - 30km away in no less than 2 - 3 hours.

Like when the guys leave to go home, they opt to go to the airport around 3pm to make sure you catch your flight at 10pm, just incase you hit traffic. There's been reports of people getting out of a car to get onto a bike with a big suitcase to get there on time.
cyborg
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by cyborg »

Lappe wrote:Because of the oil, there is a huge American influence, you will also see this if you look at the houses build all over Nigeria.I worked over there in 2004, and we travelled with the newest Prados at that time.But that is one country where you don't want to be the driver and i gladly swapped the driver seat for a crew seat.If you think the taxis in SA , have bad road manners, give Nigeria a try.
This is so true, here it works that if your flicker light is able to get into the gap the space is yours! It is such chaos, but again, it all just works.
The SA Taxi drivers are nothing compared to here.
And heaven help you if you get stopped by the police...

Return to “Other Toyotas”