There is still hope

Have your Hilux just been stolen. Please report it here and let everybody help to keep an eye out for your Hilux.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:10 am

In April 2009 our Tazz was stolen. Since it was really intended as a vehicle for the kids to use, it was not fully insured - just balance of third party, so I suffered the loss of the vehicle.

I often wondered whether it had been stripped for spares or was till riding around, and if so, would it still be recovered in a road block or some other type of vehicle check. Now almost eight years later it has been recovered ... in a really poor state by comparison to when it went missing, but recovered nonetheless.

How this happened was that insurance companies in an effort to recover costs are now looking at VIN / engine / chassis numbers from de-registered / scrapped vehicles that are making their way back onto the enatis register. Apparently this is a well used method to "legally' get a police clearance on the scrapped numbers and then transfer them onto the stolen vehicle. Such a check refers anomalies to SAPS vehicle branch who then follow it up (hopefully).

The vehicle was registered in PE and the "owner" was paying the licence, claiming that he had bought the vehicle some years before from a JHB person ... wonder how true that is, but when SAPS did an inspection of the vehicle they picked up that the engine and chassis numbers appeared to have been changed and that the VIN plate belonged to a totally different vehicle.

The front of the vehicle had also been changed to look like the later 'face-lift' model so that the vehicle, although still the original colour, wouldn't be as easily recognised.

After fitting a new battery (the battery had mysteriously gone missing at some point), stamping in newly allocated engine and chassis numbers, the vehicle was drivable and made it all the way back to East London with surprisingly good fuel economy.

So now, with an added 234000kms on the clock (standing at 417000), rings and valve stem seals that need replacing (it was smoking a little), a timing belt that will certainly need to be replaced, a clutch that is on it's last and also needs to be replaced along with some body work and a re-spray, it's just not worth keeping the vehicle. I suppose I will fix a few things that are not going to cost much, put it up for sale and recover what I can on the loss.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Andy, that car now has a HISTORY, one might even say it has "Gees"! You can't sell it, you need to keep it, especially now that the engine has just been run in :)

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Nah. Sentiments aside, the cost of bringing it back up to scratch is just too high. I had thought of letting my daughter and her hubby use it as a second car if the condition was reasonably salvageable, but I'm not particularly happy to do so in it's current state. It doesn't make financial sense either.

If I were to take the repair costs together with what I could get for the vehicle as-is, I could buy her a fairly decent small car with a much lower mileage and better resale value down the line when she no longer 'needs' it. They have been getting along with one vehicle and the cost of a second one just for convenience sake is also an unnecessary cost .... I'm already paying licence fees on six vehicles.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

FIRSTGEER
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 am

Andy I don't think you'll battle to sell that car.The immigrants from up north seem to really favour the older toyota and they dont stand for long at our local second hand dealers.when you'r ready to flog it,give me a call .

Mud Dog

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks Tony, will do. :winkx:

Return to “Stolen Hiluxes”

• Information