Removing Fuse

Have your Hilux just been stolen. Please report it here and let everybody help to keep an eye out for your Hilux.
StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D-4D Xtracab 4x4

Mon May 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Would removing a fuse responsible for starting the engine help in preventing a theft?

I RTFM'ed and saw that fuse number 17 in the engine bay is for engine ignition (2014 Hilux). Would it be feasible for me to remove that in the morning when I get to work?

Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Mon May 14, 2018 2:29 pm

Yes it should help. Considering the fact that the thieves are in a hurry to get out of there as quickly as possible they may think the ignition is not coming on due to a second immobilizer forcing them to "troubleshoot" which takes more time. The problem is that their troubleshooting involves breaking off the covers one by one looking for the other immobilizer.
In that state of hurry they might not think of looking for a missing fuse. Problem is that there are plenty of other fuses around to swap in should they realise that the fuse is missing.

Anything that wastes their time can serve to dissuade them.

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Mon May 14, 2018 10:54 pm

I used to do that and came back to an empty parking with the fuse still in my pocket. The thugs are a lot more savvy than we give then credit for. They either pick up on the missing fuse and just bridge it with a paperclip / wire or they run a jumper straight off the battery. A fuel cut-off solenoid valve (hidden) and a control switch in the cab (also hidden) may be more effective.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Tue May 15, 2018 8:10 am

Oh that's disappointing. Anyway, I just checked the fusebox and it's too much hassle to do every morning to be a feasible solution.

A fuel-cutoff sounds like a better option. I do have an anti-hijack installed though.
does that perform a similar task?
would it be redundant if I added a fuel cutoff as well?

Someone suggested I remove the starter relay. Could that work?

Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Tue May 15, 2018 9:12 am

Not sure that removing the starter relay alone will work that well either .... they'll just jump it from the battery and being a diesel won't make that much difference either if the ecu is live ..... a diesel does not need glow plugs to start if it's not a cold start like in the morning. If it has been running and the motor is warm it will fire up immediately, most often even a cold start in the warmth of the day.

The more "tricks" you use, the better the chances. You could check and see if your anti-hijack has a fuel cut-off function incorporated - if not, adding one can't do any harm.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 am

what about a wheel clamp?

Mud Dog

Tue May 15, 2018 1:56 pm

:laugh2: That might be going a bit far but depends on what lock you use. I have already cut a clamp off one of my vehicles with a bolt cutter after an argument with a stupid security guard who then decided to be clever and clamp my vehicle while I was still there (huge-ass bolt cutter that I used to keep in my work bakkie) - long story, but in the end I got an apology from his employers after they contacted me and I gave them the full story. :D:

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Tue May 15, 2018 2:11 pm

Mud Dog

Tue May 15, 2018 2:23 pm

Looks OK. Why not try it. Not expensive either.

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 am

Fair enough. I've ordered it. Let's see how it works...

niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 87 DC 2.8D

Fri May 18, 2018 8:21 am

Anywhere that fits car alarms sells solenoid operated fuel valves. Put one onto the fuel line, with a hidden switch.
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies"

yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: Fortuner 3.0D-4D 4x4

Fri May 25, 2018 8:24 am

StuckInTheMudd wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 7:56 am
Fair enough. I've ordered it. Let's see how it works...
I'm watching this with interest. Would be mighty nice if you could give feedback, i.e. how strong / durable the unit is.
My Toyota is my passport to freedom!

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Fri May 25, 2018 8:42 am

Anywhere that fits car alarms sells solenoid operated fuel valves. Put one onto the fuel line, with a hidden switch.
I've noticed that Autowatch have fuel solenoids as an extra. I already have their Anti-Hijack fitted.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www ... tAL4GcknBA
I'm watching this with interest. Would be mighty nice if you could give feedback, i.e. how strong / durable the unit is.
I got it and I'm not all that impressed. It's feels very flimsy. Almost as if a crowbar could easily bend it open. I haven't tried it, but it looks as if deflating the tyre would allow for the clamp to just fall off.

I wouldn't expect it to offer any security.

yotaman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Hartenbos Western Cape
Vehicle: Fortuner 3.0D-4D 4x4

Fri May 25, 2018 8:50 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'm terrified every time I park my beloved 1400 Nissan. It has a fuel cut off and gear lock installed but I'm not yet satisfied and looking to install a 3rd additional deterrent/device.
My Toyota is my passport to freedom!

dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2007 3.0 d4d DC 4x4

Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 am

StuckInTheMudd wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 8:42 am

I got it and I'm not all that impressed. It's feels very flimsy. Almost as if a crowbar could easily bend it open. I haven't tried it, but it looks as if deflating the tyre would allow for the clamp to just fall off.

I wouldn't expect it to offer any security.
i think takealot got 7 day no questions asked return policy ??
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - current) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 tdi LX D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Fri May 25, 2018 9:12 am

dalkill wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 am
i think takealot got 7 day no questions asked return policy ??
if it is "undamaged and unused".
yotaman wrote: but I'm not yet satisfied and looking to install a 3rd additional deterrent/device.
I'm looking for a solution that locks my breaks.
Hopefully this will make towing more difficult. You can install every immobilizer that exists. Shit, you can even take your engine out, but it helps nothing if they just tow your vehicle away.

Mars

Fri May 25, 2018 10:14 am

Well even if the brakes are locked they can still winch it onto a low-bed.

There was a (local if I remember correctly) guy some time ago that invented a mechanism that locks the propshaft. That could also be worth looking at.

Any mechanism that locks your brakes will either use the handbrake mechanism to lock the rear wheels or apply pressure to the hydraulic system so that the brakes are engaged. If you cut the handbrake cable in the first instance the system will release and if you simply open a bleed screw on any of the wheels the excess pressure will be released, releasing the brakes. Plus I would be worried that the mechanism can inadvertently engage whilst I am driving.

StuckInTheMudd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Fri May 25, 2018 11:13 am

Interesting. How invasive would such a system be? I am also very concerned about safety.

The handbrake is too weak to stop a 3.0 diesel engine. I know this because I forgot my handbrake on and went driving (I am not a smart man).

So I looked at something like a steering lock that jams the brake pedal. But that either jams it up, the opposite of what I want. Or there is no sturdy base to jam it against. I also don't want to drill bolts into my floor.

Winching onto a trailer is definitely still a problem. But they will need to bring said trailer. They won't be able to throw a rope to the back of a taxi and drive off.

Mars

Fri May 25, 2018 11:39 am

Agreed. The bottom line is that one should adopt an approach of using several different mechanisms and deterrents to dissuade them. Sad as it is the only thing you want to achieve is to let them realise it is easier to walk to the next one.

JAMES399
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Alejandria Antioquia Colombia SA
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4x4

Sun May 27, 2018 7:50 am

I disconnected the solenoid wire on the starter, and ran it through a switch that I installed inside the glovebox. When I park the truck, I flip the switch and the starter won't engage even with the key. If you have a locking glovebox, it gives a second layer of security. Nothing will stop a real professional thief, but maybe you can slow him (her) down enough to get him caught.

- JAMES

Return to “Stolen Hiluxes”

• Information