Hold on to your hilux

Have your Hilux just been stolen. Please report it here and let everybody help to keep an eye out for your Hilux.
ratel's raider
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 1995 Toyota hilux SFA, 2007 2x4 hilux 3l d4d

Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:47 pm

As we all know hilux's are in demand with the affirmative shopping crowd. As I found out the other day, they popped both door locks, jimmied the ignition and broke the whole ignition assembly and some how cracked the windscreen in their attempt to steal my vehicle.

Yip thats the whole ignition assembly that had to be replaced total cost R2500. incl. windscreen.

I found out one interesting tip the door lock barrels that are supplied by non-dealer parts don't lock the door. So just take the original arm off the damaged lock barrel you have removed and put it on the new barrel and it works a charm.

Spoke to the cops and they said mine was the 4th toyota bakkie that was broken into or stolen this week.

So hold on to your hilux, they are wanted.
Natural stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time

george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: Prado 90 VX 3.4 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:15 pm

Die bliksems :evil: :evil: :evil:
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:44 pm

Sorry to hear about your misfortune and it looks like you have a gearlock and they still tried?

SYRON CONVERSIONS
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Tamboekieland
Vehicle: SFA HILUX

Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:17 pm

Yeah a few of my friends have already warned me that my grade 3 pepper spray system will get me one night or day when I am drunk :oops: But luckily I do not dring "hard tack or beers" thus I have nothing to worry about, but concerning your Hilux, it is not nice to know that these :twisted: people tried to steal your Hilux, I am lucky that I normally do not have to use my Hilux every day, it is more of a fun vehicle, yes I do use it to work sometimes, just to give it a run, but I suppose, it is better to be prepared for these guys, thus just get some signs, that state Pepper spray, be warned and maybe this will help to prevent your vehicle from been broken into.

Yes Hilux vehicles are stolen often, because they are excellent vehicles to own and drive. :wink:
1992 Slightly Modified Hilux, 2008 VW Caddy panelvan work, 2010 Isuzu 2.5 td bakkie for work, a pair of big 'balloons' as well hanging at the rear of my Hilux

simoan

ratel's raider
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:51 am

Thanks chaps, yes it is really #%&^*&% that they tried but at least they never got it, look on the bright side. My bakkie is JHB kitted gear lock, immobiliser, fuel cut out, and they still tried :evil: . Oh well respect to the Toyota ignition barrel, they broke the whole ignition assembly off its retaining bolts but still couldn't turn the ignition. Any way she is still mine so all's well that ends well. :P

d4d
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 1996 2.4P Raider DC Hilux

Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:54 am

Must really be stupid Thieves. I removed my ignition the other day to have a key cut.
If you look on the left of the ign where the Wire loom attaches. There's 1 philips screw, take it out and pull the plastic essembly out, then you can use anything flat to turn it and crack the car. The ignition/key only turns a flat piece of metal which in turn turns the plastic assembly (have the wires make contact).

So really if you want to be fast, break the cover around the steering, undo the screw and start, no need to go and break the whole ignition.

I'm worried, had to leave mine at the Airport for 4 days. Hope she's still there when i return, otherwise i'm going to %#@$@ the lady that forget to arrange my Airport transfer.
1996 SFA Hilux DC 2.4P 4x4
2005 D4D 2.5 SRX DC 4x4 - SOLD
1988 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 HT - SOLD
1993 SFA Hilux SC 2.4D 4x4 - SOLD

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:04 pm

I know what you guys mean I am really worried about mine coz it stands out side my house all week unattended and being in a secure complex does not help.

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:11 am

If you do not use your vehicle oftne, or leave it at the airport for some time, you can try this:
In the olden days when cars still had distributors we use to remove the rotor from the distributor or the HT lead running from the coil to the distributor. Not many thieves take these objects with them when going shopping.

The Toyota's distributor cap screws on, so it is not that easy to remove the rotor, but still you can remove the HT lead when not using the vehicle.

BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:09 pm

Piet

A friend of mines Combi was stolen in PTA mid city and all he as left is the rotor and coil wire.

D4D

They brake off the ignition to disable the stearing lock. Its quicker then unscrewing it.

Ratel

Most probably the fuel cut off that prevented them from driving it away.

Riceburner
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: JHB
Vehicle: D2 V8

Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:08 pm

Where did this happen?

ratel's raider
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:03 pm

This happened in Fairie Glen (Pta) at a shopping center, with cars coming in and leaving all the time, at 15H00 in broad daylight. These chaps were total amateurs, they just broke everything they didn't even get it started. The screwdriver end broke off in the ignition which didn't move and they then broke the whole housing. All it would have taken to start is as said above take out one screw and the ignition cap pops out. Thats how I got it home. The fuel cut off wasn't even needed. Happened once before where they bent my gear lever a few years ago due to the gear lock which is actually quite a nice mod as you have more space up front with the gear lever moving closer to the dash, especially when driving with three up front.

Return to “Stolen Hiluxes”

• Information