Where can i get good Recon Diff or Second Hand Diff

If you would like to discuss the functionality of this web site or have any suggestions, please out it here.
DANIELK
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 1990 DC V8

Where can i get good Recon Diff or Second Hand Diff

Post by DANIELK »

Needing to replace my rear diff after this weekend after turning at the robot felt like the diff fell off the truck.. rear wheels seized up after, got a the flatbed truck to bring it home the following morning locked in the front hubs and drove in slowly into the driveway..

seems to be no drive at on to the rear wheels at all, rear wheels off the ground truck in gear and running running prop spinning but wheels are standing still.. :(

I'm needing to try and find a rear diff for 1990 SFA Double cab 4x4.
Attachments
PHOTO-2019-07-08-10-20-54.jpg
Regards
Karl

Trucks
1990 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V8 1UZ-FE (Current)
1998 Ford Courier SC 4x4 3.4 V6
2001 Ford Ranger DC 4x4 2.5 TD
1996 Ford Courier DC 4x4 3.4 V6
Tim86
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux

Re: Where can i get good Recon Diff or Second Hand Diff

Post by Tim86 »

Located close to you in Magaliesburg are Jaco & Henk Groenveld of Living SFA (look it up on faceboet) - Jaco: 060 451 5714.
Further afield is Arrie in Steelpoort who just yesterday was advertising brand new diffs for that axle - Arrie: 082 357 6023

The V8 may be the cause of your diff failure, possibly consider something stronger for the back.
DANIELK
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by DANIELK »

Tim86 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:27 am Located close to you in Magaliesburg are Jaco & Henk Groenveld of Living SFA (look it up on faceboet) - Jaco: 060 451 5714.
Further afield is Arrie in Steelpoort who just yesterday was advertising brand new diffs for that axle - Arrie: 082 357 6023

The V8 may be the cause of your diff failure, possibly consider something stronger for the back.
Thanks Tim was also thinking the same, most of the damage was done by prev owner, Replace full prop and clutch after buying the truck just under 2 years ago.. Will ask the guys what would they recommend for a stronger solution for the back.
Regards
Karl

Trucks
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Karl I might be wrong. Your bakkie load sensor valve need adjustment. Do you have 33/35 tyres fitted?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
DANIELK
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by DANIELK »

The Legend wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:18 pm Karl I might be wrong. Your bakkie load sensor valve need adjustment. Do you have 33/35 tyres fitted?
33 12.5 x 15 Tyres, I don’t get locking up on the rear breaks when breaking in wet or dry conditions ?
Regards
Karl

Trucks
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

That looks like a import diff which is a very strong diff so you can normally have it re-conned or you can have a look at putting the d4d center portions in for better ratio.
DANIELK
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by DANIELK »

Scott wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:57 pm That looks like a import diff which is a very strong diff so you can normally have it re-conned or you can have a look at putting the d4d center portions in for better ratio.
Taking the diff out tomorrow and sending if off for recon... I'm not sure what abuse the prev owner gave the truck, I know these import diff's are strong.
Regards
Karl

Trucks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

They are indeed tough, much stronger that the local GearMax one. Refurbishing is the better option, changing the ratios means changing the front diff as well - the front and rear diff portions (3rd members) are interchangeable, a nice option to have if you have diff trouble out in the styx.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
DANIELK
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by DANIELK »

Mud Dog wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:13 am They are indeed tough, much stronger that the local GearMax one. Refurbishing is the better option, changing the ratios means changing the front diff as well - the front and rear diff portions (3rd members) are interchangeable, a nice option to have if you have diff trouble out in the styx.
Diff is out and i will go for recon next week... I must be honest i don't even what to try gearmax diff with the V8... i have not heard good reports
Regards
Karl

Trucks
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Here's the thing to be careful for .... that drive train was never designed for the torque of a V8 and with a standard motor the drive train already takes more strain than designed for when you fit 33" tyres. Now take those 33's and drive them with a V8 - you're gonna break something in time .... just the wrong amount of torque at the right moment.

Just also make sure the guys doing the recon know that they're dealing with V8 power so that they don't cut corners or fit sub-standard parts. :winkx:

Then learn to drive like a blouse. :D:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scott
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: Hilux SFA

Post by Scott »

yes agree with Andy that is same as taxi diff as far as I know so there will be very good replacement parts and very bad parts out there i remember when I done the bearings the spares shop pulled a no name brand out and I said try again and they had name brands in stock at a price difference but worth it.

Return to “Web Related Discussions and Suggestions”