Cold-Factor freezers

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Cold-Factor freezers

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi There,

Does anyone have any experience with the Cold-Factor range of freezers/Fridges (http://www.cold-factor.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?

Prices are very good. The units work with absorption units - silent operation, no compressor. They work on LP Gas, 220v and 12v.

According to Cold-Factor: "The 45L runs for more than three weeks on a 9kg LP Gas cylinder"

I did a quick calculation, don't know if I am correct: The 45L (Cold-Factor) is a 130W device, so at 12V this equates to 10.8 Ampere. Comparing to National Luna: 12V - 2.5Amps average running current, the Cold-Factor uses about 5 times more current...

How does the Cold-Factor compare to other brands - Waeco, etc.?

Specs on their website for the 45 L (http://www.cold-factor.com/Camping45lt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;):

Total Capacity
45 liter / 1.42 cubic feet
Freezer Capacity
Refrigerator Capacity
Boxed Dimensions
(H) 515 mm
(W) 675 mm
(D) 545 mm
Un-boxed Dimensions
(H) 495 mm
(W) 655 mm
(D) 515 mm
Colour
White / Grey
Boxed Weight
25 kg / 55 lb
Container Load 20'

Container Load 40'

Container Load H40'

Wattage Input
130W
Power Consumption / 24 hours

LP Gas
400 gram (approx)
Electricity
0.13 kW.h
Paraffin / kerosene
N/A
Paraffin / kerosene tank capacity
N/A
Energy Source
LP / Propane Gas
Electricity 220 volt
Electricity 110 volt
Electricity 12 volt dc
Performance

Freezer
-16 degrees Celsius
Refrigerator
+2 degrees Celsius

Product Information

Electric Thermostat (220v / 12v)
Flame Indicator
Safety Valve
Metal Lock & catch
Metal Carry handles
Metal Hinges
Round Bar Protective Back Cover
Basket Shelves
Warranty
3 Years National
Country of Origin
South Africa
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Re: Cold-Factor freezers

Post by Scooter »

Jaco, Fristly what is the price?

Secondly, I dont know about this particular brand but the way I understand it the absorbtion type units will always draw alot more current and therefore are not the best if wanting to run it mainly off 12V.
Also it is said that getting them to run is a pain in the butt. Having had a Zero 3 way in Mozambique this last December that never worked no matter how level it was, I can honestly say it was a waste of space. Fortunately it was not mine.

I have a NL 50L twin and a Tropical 45L, both working from the danfoss compressor and both worked without an problems for the three weeks we were on holiday.

Yes some guys have had good experiences with 3way units but I asked myself the question "Am I willing to take the chance that it doesn't work when I need it most?"

With the compressor route, yes you have to make sure you have battery power all the time but rather that then having a unit that doesnt work very well on 12v to begin with and may not work on gas when needed most.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Thank you very much. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

Kind Regards,
Jaco
Scooter wrote:Jaco, Fristly what is the price?

Secondly, I dont know about this particular brand but the way I understand it the absorbtion type units will always draw alot more current and therefore are not the best if wanting to run it mainly off 12V.
Also it is said that getting them to run is a pain in the butt. Having had a Zero 3 way in Mozambique this last December that never worked no matter how level it was, I can honestly say it was a waste of space. Fortunately it was not mine.

I have a NL 50L twin and a Tropical 45L, both working from the danfoss compressor and both worked without an problems for the three weeks we were on holiday.

Yes some guys have had good experiences with 3way units but I asked myself the question "Am I willing to take the chance that it doesn't work when I need it most?"

With the compressor route, yes you have to make sure you have battery power all the time but rather that then having a unit that doesnt work very well on 12v to begin with and may not work on gas when needed most.
GOKU
Town: Fish Hoek
Vehicle: Isuzu

Post by GOKU »

Hi Scooter
I read your comment and then registered to leave a statement. I am the marketing manager for cold-factor. I would like to clear up some miss understandings you have regarding gas absorption. Absorption was invented by Albert Einstein and has been around for many many years, it is in a completely different class than compressor freezers and comparing the two is senseless.
Absorption camping freezers are for off-grid locations to the average family that enjoys 2-3 weeks on the beach in Mozambique, or somewhere in the Botswana game park. I say average family because the average family does not want to spend 8-9 thousand on a compressor freezer plus couple thousand for the dual battery conversion plus a couple of thousand for the solar panels, for 3 weeks per year holiday.

You say: I understand it the absorbtion type units will always draw alot more current and therefore are not the best if wanting to run it mainly off 12V.

You are right about absorption drawing more current on your vehicle than a compressor, that is why with absorption when you reach your final destination you TURN ON THE GAS and for 3 weeks you don’t have to worry about a thing.

You say: Also it is said that getting them to run is a pain in the butt

You level your freezer, press and hold the gas knob, after 10sec you press the igniter and there you are. Would you kindly elaborate on “getting them to run is a pain in the butt”, because it sounds very easy to me?

You say Having had a Zero 3 way in Mozambique this last December that never worked no matter how level it was, I can honestly say it was a waste of space.

Shame on you, although they are our competition, like us Zero is an all South African company that manufactures the complete freezers with South African material. As with any compressor / absorption brand name you get the odd one that give problems, (if that was the problem,) and thats why they are backed by a 3 year warranty, but the way you dramatize the whole situation tells me you don’t like absorption units for whatever reason, if you would like to contact us we will be more than willing to show you a demonstration on how well these absorption freezers work and answer any of your questions
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

I have a Zero which have been providing me with good service now for the last 5 years. I only had one issue with the gas and that was due to a blocked burner. It took 30 minutes time out to strip an clean it. And it went of like a charm again. I have not had any bad experience with mine.
Traveler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Springs
Vehicle: Pathfinder 2.5 LE AT
Club VHF Licence: X81

Post by Traveler »

Christo,
Thanks for taking the time to register so that you could make your post, which I have found rather interesting. I have been looking at 3 way for a while to fit in my trailer, and moving the unit in my trailer into the vehicle. But every time it has been the sales person convincing me that 3 way is a mistake. Having a gas bottle in my trailer makes more sense.

What is the current prices for these units??

Know what you don't know.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Christo, welcome to the forum and thank you for your interesting post.

I have a 30 year-old Edesa 3-way Caravan freezer, works (worked!) off 220v/12v and gas. While it was working, I never had a moments bother with it, but it stopped working a couple of years ago and I have been unsuccessful in finding anyone here to look at it. The usual remedy of turning it upside down and shaking it around did not help. We have been running it on 220v mains for the past 10 years.

Would this be repairable, and are there any Agents in the North West Area?

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Bosfebok
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Roodekrans
Vehicle: 1995 Hilux Raider 2.2
Club VHF Licence: X248

Post by Bosfebok »

Hi

I have both type of fridges. The 3-way I only use when I stay at one particular place and also for a number of nights and I only put in frozen stuffs. It works quite well (if the ambient temperature is not to high,) but it does not like to be opened a lot, so even when I use this fridge, I also take the Campmaster 12V jobby with as well...to keep the beers (and mama's salad dressing of course) cold..and it is not affected that much by opening it more frequently.

Having both serves me well...
Otto X248
1995 Hilux Raider 2.2 EFI Turbo DC
Alucab Canopy with Kitchen and Recovery sections
National Luna Split Charge system and Dual Battery
80W solar panel and MPPT controller
20.5" LED BAR
5ton tow bar with recovery points
Nudge-M front bumper
80l Long Range Fuel Tank
90l Water Tank
Slide Drawer System
Safari Snorkel
Double Lockers - Toyota Electric selectable
Diff breathers
The worst anti hi-jack alarm system ever, SANJI!!

A bad day out is still better than a good day in!!
86 Hilux 2.4

Post by 86 Hilux 2.4 »

Hi Christo, I picked up this post. Although it has been ageing a bit, I can add that these fridges seem to be a bit temperamental. I bought a Cold Factor / Zero CF70 in June 2009 for a trip to Namibia. I was very keen on this fridges and sold my older (working) model 70L 3-way Zero, which was slightly higher and bought the new lower model. I tested the fridge on 220V before leaving, and it worked fine. The theory was to use the Gas at night and make some ice and then drive during the day using it as a cooler box. This unfortunatelly never worked. I tested the Boiler and the Gas generates the same heat (exhaust temp) of 125-128 deg C as the 220V, but it only cools and freezes with 220V. The 12V is a bit heavy on the battery, so that mode hasn't been tested fully. I did measure the Amps to be about 10A on 12V similar to the other respondent. Maybe my gas cylinders are incorrect pressure? How do you make sure the gas pressure is correct, or what else can be wrong? The fridge is level. The fridge brand new, and has only been use for 3 weeks (carted around in the back of the bakkie through Namibia).
Royco
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: '09 D4D 3.0 Raider 4x4 D/Cab
Club VHF Licence: X88

Post by Royco »

Hi Noel,
Sorry, but I have to ask... you DO have a Gas Regulator on your gas bottle, right?
The other thing I found was that you need a spirit level to get the gas to work correctly. I used to carry a few pine planks with me to get the fridge 100% level.
I could never get the fridge to work off 12v.

(The best thing that happened to me, was that my 3-way fridge was "stolen" by my brother-in-law!!)
I now have a NL Weekender. Works like a charm!! :clap:
Image Image Image Image
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Post by george »

Hi Noel
One thing you also have to keep in mind is that these types of freezers is not meant for over landing.
Here is a quote from a previous post
Absorption camping freezers are for off-grid locations to the average family that enjoys 2-3 weeks on the beach in Mozambique, or somewhere in the Botswana game park.
I have one of these in my caravan and it takes about 12 hours before it starts freezing.

Have you tested the freezer at home with the gas?
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
86 Hilux 2.4

Post by 86 Hilux 2.4 »

Hi, yes I have tested the fridge at home. Levelled with a spirit level and all. I even swopped the regulator with our Home gas stove 2.8kPa regulator. Also Changed gas bottles. Same story. It cooles down to minus 5 overnight on the 220V, but on gas it cannot even keep the temperature, the box temp goes up to +10 after a couple of hours on Gas heating of the Boiler. On 220V there is light snow formation in a 80mm wide band halfway round the box. On gas, there is only mild sweating in the same area.
Do you know of anyone that want to buy this unit? My camping days are between over and far into the future, anyway as we recently had twins added to the crew. Paid R4350 for it new a year and half ago.

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”