220V fridge off inverter

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Nitro
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 2.2

220V fridge off inverter

Post by Nitro »

Morning gents,

I have a Waeco 12V / 220V fridge/freezer which I am very happy with. It is only a 50ltr and sometimes is a bit small for a weeks trip for a family of 4. I am looking at getting another fridge/freezer and I see the prices for the 12V/220V are more than double the cost of a 220V only freezer :(
Question is can I run a 220V only fridge with an inverter? I have a 500W inverter and it will be cheaper to get a bigger inverter if necessary than to buy a 12V/220V fridge. Is this feasible?
Dadz Toy BFI

Re: 220V fridge off inverter

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Nitro wrote:Morning gents,

I have a Waeco 12V / 220V fridge/freezer which I am very happy with. It is only a 50ltr and sometimes is a bit small for a weeks trip for a family of 4. I am looking at getting another fridge/freezer and I see the prices for the 12V/220V are more than double the cost of a 220V only freezer :(
Question is can I run a 220V only fridge with an inverter? I have a 500W inverter and it will be cheaper to get a bigger inverter if necessary than to buy a 12V/220V fridge. Is this feasible?
Fridges are moosa power pullers bru

You'd need a 2500w (constant supply not peak) to run even a small mains operated fridge and it would hammer the heck outa your battery (unless you have a 24v XHD Truck Battery)

Funnily enough I'm come across plenty Oens who go camping with "full size" fridge/freezers on the back of their vehicles :shock:

But, I've only ever seen them being used at campstands with 220v outlets :roll:

Rich
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Hi Victor,

My 1st answer will be no. Reason will be that most inverters you get do not give constant 220VAC & run on about between 45-60Hz, this cause the compressor to overheat within an hour and "poof"the compressor is gone.(It was done by me, I poofed my small 220V freezer)

Solution to this is to get an inverter that give constant 220VAC, help me if im wrong, their pricing is about R2800 and more. Add the 2 together, the 220v Freezer and the Good Inverter and you get almost to the 12V/220V freezers.

Regards,
Louis
3RZ
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2004 Legend 35 Hilux 2.7 DC 4x4

Post by 3RZ »

I agree with Louis

The inductive motor of the compressor does not like running of a modified square wave like with the cheaper inverters, it needs a decent pure sine wave. Pure sine wave inverters are a LOT more expensive. Once you have bought a decent pure sine wave inverter and added the cost to the fridge's price you will be paying the same or more for the combination
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Hi Victor,

My 1st answer will be no. Reason will be that most inverters you get do not give constant 220VAC & run on about between 45-60Hz, this cause the compressor to overheat within an hour and "poof"the compressor is gone.(It was done by me, I poofed my small 220V freezer)

Solution to this is to get an inverter that give constant 220VAC, help me if im wrong, their pricing is about R2800 and more. Add the 2 together, the 220v Freezer and the Good Inverter and you get almost to the 12V/220V freezers.

Regards,
Louis
100% Correct

If you google Solar Systems you'll find the Inverters that the guys are referring to and yep they are very expensive items indeed :shock:

I've done a fair amount of research in this matter for a Client who is considering a full Solar/24v Inverter System for his household.

It involves:
lots of 24v batteries (minimum 10)
2 x 2500w True Clean Constant Output Inverters
4 x 750w Panels

I'd love for the project to go ahead, the Client must just find the serious $$ it's gonna take to buy the goodies, I'm even prepared to subsidise my labour.

Hope this helps a bit :P

Rich
Nitro
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 1993 Hilux D/C 2.2

Post by Nitro »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. My Waeco 50ltr operates for 2 days off a 95AH battery without the need to charge it. With the dual battery system in the bakkie now this should stretch it a little longer. But, as you say, most campsites have 220V supply but we always want the option to be able to go to remote places. :D

Victor

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”