Buying a Roof Top Tent (RTT)

Your view on different camping gear, off-road trailers and nice non-electronic gadgets
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Buying a Roof Top Tent (RTT)

Post by Niel »

What are the thing(s) that one have to keep in mind to make the correct choice when buying a RTT.

Your tips will be appreciated.
swifty
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Sutherland
Vehicle: Hilux 2.7 SC

Re: Buying a Roof Top Tent (RTT)

Post by swifty »

First on my list would be the effort required to erect and fold the tent. Most of today’s tents are water proof, wind resistant and durable.
It is quite embarasing if you are in a group and everybody is waiting for you while you are struggling to get your RTT packed.... :oops: It should be a one person operation.
2003 HILUX 2.7i SRX S/C; Solid front axle conversion with Cruiser coil springs, 4.88:1 diff ratios, Iron Man rear suspension with extended greasable shackles, Gearmax diff lock, 150 liter feul tank, NudgeM bumper with recovery shackles, BF Goodridge Baja 33x10.5x15 tyres
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

The hard shell ones are more aerodynamic than the canvas bagged :wink:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Niel wrote:What are the thing(s) that one have to keep in mind to make the correct choice when buying a RTT.

Your tips will be appreciated.
Hi Niel,

Quite a lot of things to consider:
Space: I like a bit of space to stretch! Also elbow room!!
Floor type: wood or ally. I have a Howling Moon, with a double foam injected ally floor, which is great, good insolator and strong. Wood also great for insolation, but maybe need maintenance at some stage. Stay far away from single ally sheet floor, very cold in winter
Space 2: does it have space so that you can leave the sleeping bags/duvets inside when you fold it? (Some don't)
Ease of folding up: I think the Easy Awn does have the best method of pulling in the sides and roof, but the fly sheet you still have to fold in by hand. I've made some other bungy cords which goes outside the tent, so it pulls in the fly sheet as well.
Ease of folding up 2: How easy is it to get the bag over the folded tent? And how easy to secure? Again, I've modified my HM to be quick and easy.
Aerodynamics: I think most RTT's comes with the option of a moulded glas fibre container nowadays, maybe also easier to fold in everything.
Fly sheet material: some tents (Echo) had a plastic fly sheet which didn't breath at all, people complaned of water droplets inside, not good
Matress: You need a high density foam one at least 80 mm think (At least I do :D )
Windows and doors: Must have gauze (sp?) as well as canvas, everything must have zips.
Must have good ventalation and breathing qualities.

Best is to have a good look around, and let the shops demonstrate the pirching/folding. No use getting one where you battle to get the thing folded, then you can just as well use a ground tent.

I bought my HM about 6 years ago, very satisfied. The contenders at that stage were the HM, Easy Awn and Hannibal. Echo was crap. But lots of makes/models on the market now.

Good luck,

CP
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
SuidWes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Yis Niel, ek het 'n HM RTT en dis 'n goeie tent maar die opgevou staan die outjie 450mm hoog waar van die ander 300mm en minder is so kyk daarna. Die Hanniball is ook goed :thumbup:
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Ek het 2 RTT's. Een "home made" job, wat baie lekker werk en plat opvou en 'n Easy Awn. Die EA tent het 'n bungy cord system binne-in, wat al die tentseile intrek as jy die tent toemaak. Dan is dit net 'n kwessie van die cover oortrek en ry. Hy vou ook bietjie platter op as Jaco sinne. :twisted:

Ek gebruik deesdae net die EA want hy is baie ligter as die ander ene, maar hy is effens smaller. :shock: :twisted:

Die home made tent het ek self gemodify om so plat as moontlik op te vou, want ek was nie bang om daar te boor en te modify soos ek wil nie. Hoe platter hy toevou hoe meer compress jou die beddegoed binne-in en hoe minder plek is daar vir stof om in te kom as jy oor grondpaaie ry. (Stof is 'n blacksam). Die opvou-workings van 'n daktent is maklik om te modify as jy net mooi kyk hoe dit werk voor jy begin. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Scorpion
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Emmarentia
Vehicle: 1988 Hilux 4x4 D/C with more attitude than Mike Tyson

Post by Scorpion »

Maak seker jy pas binne in... :twisted:
1988 Hilex D/C 4x4 (Import spec), Lexus V8; Marlin Crawler; Custom Suspension: front and new 4 link in the rear; Disc Brake conversion rear; 35" Cooper STT tyres; Xenon lights; Custom bullbar;Next? Aircon; new front seats, redo the whole interior in nice soft leather, Respray, Double Lockers
1978 Land Cruiser HJ45
1971 Mercedes Benz 280S Automatic
2011 Land Cruiser 79 V6 (60th Anniversary Edition)
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Ja Niel met jou vaskop lyfie sal jy 2 moet koop een vir die vrou en kinners en een vir jou
Niel
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Dis serker maar reg dan "biker mice" :roll:

Return to “Camping gear, Trailers and Other Non-electronic Gadgets”