GPS system on new 2012 Hilux

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
JacoPr
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x2

GPS system on new 2012 Hilux

Post by JacoPr »

Hi
I bought the NEW 3.0 D4D Diesel double cab 2x4. All these new models (Raiders) are equiped with this very nice head unit with touch screen and GPS. Unfortunately the GPS is not working, because Toyota is still deciding what software to be used for this device (This is what some dealers are telling us here in Namibia). Is this true? Can someone please give me more info with regards to this?
Thanks
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: GPS system on new 2012 Hilux

Post by OOOOMS »

Hi Jaco, to my knowledge this is still a problem. Last I read 'quintin' was also asking..... :!:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

From Toy SA,
"Kindly be advised that the Audio system fitted to your vehicle is a globally sourced part. The South African models are not fitted with the satellite navigation system, hence the navigation button on your vehicle does not work. The satellite navigation system is not a feature or specification of the vehicle, neither have you been charged for satellite navigation in your purchase price. Toyota South Africa Motors will issue a communication through our dealership network should there be any changes in this regard. Thank you for your time."

Kind Regards
Pinkie Bubu
Customer Relations
Toyota South Africa
Tel: 0800139111
Fax: 0118092917
So there you have it get a Garmin in stead. If ...... if it ever becomes available you will prob pay a small sum of money for it, my guess.... :shh: :shh: :shh:
JacoPr
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Windhoek
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 4x2

Post by JacoPr »

Thanks Everyone. I will still keep my hopes up. :cry:
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Umhlanga
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

They will most probably make it available with the next upgrade then they can say we give you a hole new product. :disgust: :disgust: :disgust:
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
PUW
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux DC 4x4

Post by PUW »

I'm sure there will soon be a way around this...
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 2 x Diff lock, 33" MT Tyre, Lexus V8, Winch, Bull Bar and Tow bar.

Post by Quintin »

that will be very nice the sales person showed me there is a mail that went around with a cost of R2500 for the upgrade, if this is true it will not be a bad idea to just do it.
Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D 4 D 4X4 A/T (4 play). Hilux DC 4x4, Lexus 4Lt V8, Mikhem suspension met 50mm lift, 50 mm body lift, Bilstein Shocks extra length, 33" tyre, 8 J rims, 2 x Lockers, Snorkel. (Blou Job) en dan n Peugeot 107 (Quickie).
KZTE
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 KZTE 4x4

Post by KZTE »

In Europe you can get a upgrade kit for the unit, "Toyota Touch & Go navigation
Toyota Touch & Go is the ideal upgrade if your Hilux is fitted with the Toyota Touch audio, but doesn’t have navigation. TNEX300 integrates with the existing audio functionality to also provide full map pan-European navigation plus a host of other travel guide features"

Look at this link: http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/new_c ... 0-00330-00" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also got the part numbers, the only question is what software can we load?

Part no: 08663-00820

Any ideas?
Hilux 3.0 Kzte 4x4 SAC BFGoodrich Monroe's

Image Image
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

:Yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: I got it. My fortuner now has a build in GPS :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: Toyota can still not help me so I went and looked all over found this radio and there we go a million times better option and it works, Why can Toyota not get it sorted? Only they will know :( Should anybody want one we can arrange a group buy and get a good price maybe around the 7K mark
Attachments
Look at what this thing can do.
Look at what this thing can do.
And here it is.
And here it is.
KZTE
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by KZTE »

Hi Quintin, I have the same unit in my Hilux that came factory fitted, did you get the gps unit together in box and was it bought locally?

Image Image
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Hi this is a totally new unit as toyota could not come to the party, I took out the old radio and use it as a paperweight installed the new one it is just plug and play with very minor differences, the screen is a touch screen, you have 3 g capability, GPS maps are on an external SD card so you can update your maps on your p.c. and then just stick it into the radio. There are a lot more that you can do like dvd, tv, mpe4 or something like that etc , etc. This thing works very nice i love it.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Sorry did not answer your last question, Yes it is locally available with all the guarantees , etc.
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: 2009 Toyota Hilux DC 3.0 D -4D 4X4
Club VHF Licence: HC 136

Post by Whisky »

Quintin where could I get more info on this item?
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

GCT Ice hulle is daar in JHB tel no is 011 4655975
KZTE
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by KZTE »

I've got good and bad news, we can import the upgrade for existing radio but it will cost 613Euro and that is for the wires, gps receiver and euro maps. I think the better option is to go Quintin's way and buy a new system. :eh:

Image Image
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

I Really tried all options, My Summary was should you import the unit you will have to pay import duty on top of the purchase price, buy SA maps, do the installation with no guarantees that it is going to work. If you have a problem with the unit how are you going to get it sorted. On top of all of that the unit will be costing around the R10 000 mark. I got this unit all inclusive with a SA map loaded and you can load Garman and tracks for Africa with a full one year guarantee installed for just over the R 7,500.00 mark. I am sure if we make a group buy we will get it evan cheaper. The best thing of all is this thing works and I can go back should I have a problem.
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Hi this looks great, I have purchased my unit already but for the guys on the forum I think this is a great deal. I must say what I like about the other unit it looks exactly the same as the original one.
Attachments
IMG-20120624-00181.jpg
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

If the phone would stop ringing I am going to add it to my shop just now so it is easier to control orders
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lansdowne
Vehicle: 2015 Ford Ranger T6

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

I like the silver one, looks more stock as well
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

OK seems like the guy who quoted me is a bit expensive.
I see you can buy it at a fraction of that price at
http://www.stopshop.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanx Truckin for warning me
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Now there are to many units to pick from!!!! How do I now know which unit is the better to purchase? I want GPS function and rear view camera. USB and SD card ports. Plus the best price.

You guys that have these units please give us feed back, pro's and con's please.

Ben
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

I wonder if I will be able to make it fit in my Hilux.
I see those at stopshop only have an input for reverse camera but does not come with the camera itself
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

OK, this is why StopShop is so much cheaper:

When you read da fine print da say it takes 45 days for delivery
also it states you are liable for transport ex china and you must pay custom duties

The main difference comes when you have a problem with the unit
Who do you send it to for rapairs?
What do you do if you receive it and everything is not there, like maps or camera?

So it seems like StopShop does not do much because you import the unit yourself
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Ok so the unit Quintin mentions is then a better buy for reasons as mention by Pietpetoors.

Quintin have you fitted yours and are you satisfied with all the facilities it has?

How does this unit compare to the Caska unit supplied by Planetworld???
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Hi Yes I fitted the unit and it was an easy swop, On the rearview camera there needs to be a small mod but for the rest it was plug and play, the GPS works very well and the radio is just as advertised I am happy.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Did you use the maps that came with it or did you load Garmin maps?
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

So 'n bietjie navraag gedoen. Die eenheid wat Quintin het kan nie die banddruk monitor nie. Die Caska eenheid van Planetworld kan alles doen, dis net ekstras. Nou net besluit waar kry ek die $. Miskien kry ek iets terug van die Taksman.

Groete,

Ben
Quintin
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Quintin »

Ek het Garman maps en tracks 4 Africa
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi everyone, Mark here from Stop Shop.

Just thought I'd register on the forum to let you guys know that you're more than welcome to ask any questions regaridng our navigation systems for the new Hilux, Fortuner etc.. The systems are currently on special so it'll cost just over R4k delivered to your door and please note that our delivery period is no where near 45 days (usually within 7-10 working days). There's no duties to pay, only VAT @14% and DHL's disbursement fee of R100.00 so it'll all add up to just over R4000.00 excluding the camera which is optional (+R349.00).

We were the first in the country to sell these systems for the new spec Hilux and Fortuner and so far, not a single complain.

Cheers for now and I look forward to your questions.
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thank you for correct information.

On another post one of your clients first said
Digger. I bought this radio for a fortuner. It's a lot cheeper than the 2012 radio with the Nav etc. This radio also has Nav ,plays dvd , mp3 has a usb port and can also plays a ipod. Have a look at the link below. Regards Jaco
http://www.stopshop.co.za/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and then said
Digger. You have to buy the Gps maps extra. I can confirm. It took a while (4 weeks) and you have to pay for everything but if I'm correct it cost me R5200-00 for everything. The maps and al the taxes etc. Everything is working fine. We'll have to see if something accurs.
Regards
I am not sure how long ago he bought his unit, but have something changed in the mean while?
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Hi Mark,

To follow up on Piet's question on the GPS.

I would like to purchase a unit for my 2009 Hilux, so my requirements are the following: the unit plus GPS (I would want to load garmap and T4A) plus tyre pressure monitor plus reverse camera. What would the cost be? If I have problems where in East London could I have it sorted?

Regards,
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Thanks for the link pietpetroos, just had a quick look but I'm not sure which system he's referring to as we have several different models for the Fortuner (both pre-facelift as well as the facelift model). The way it works is quite simple, 14% VAT will be added to the product's price + the additional R100.00 disbursement fee for DHL. Depending on which system is being purchased and it's respective value but just to give you a quick breakdown on the new system that costs R2799.00; R391.86 (VAT) + R100 (disbursement fee) = R491.86 which is what you'll end up paying to DHL. So if you take the current price (R2799.00) + DHL Express (R742.00) + VAT & Disbursement (R491.86), the system will cost R4032.86 delivered to your door within approximately 7-10 working days.

As for the navigation software and maps, you may install pretty much anything you want as long as it's WinCE compatible such as TomTom Navigator 6, Garmap Drive for WinCE, T4A & iGO8 etc.. Free software and maps for those that don't want to spend money is also available for this link; http://navigatorfree.mapfactor.com/en/

Regarding the above mentioned thread and specifically getting into repairs/warranties etc.., we have local technicians on hand that are ready to assist. All you need to do is to go to our contact page and select RMA & Warranties and email them directly for support. If the unit is faulty and within the one year warranty, they repair it locally unless of course the system cannot be repaired in which case it’s possible that it might have to be shipped back to the manufacturer for repairs. This is extremely rare as most of the times it’s locally repaired but if it is the case, then we pay for the shipping costs to send the system to the manufacturer, our customers are never charged for this. Of course if the system has been damaged, opened or tampered with then that’s a different story and the repair will be charged.

Whisky, I strongly recommend the SSAS-TOYOTA180 (http://www.stopshop.co.za/359-buy-toyot ... gps-satnav) but unfortunately the system does not support TPMS.

Cheers
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Hi Guys,

To those that have this integrated unit how is the functionality of the GPS system? I understand that you cannot route on your computer and then transfer it to the unit in your vehicle. You have to route on the unit in your car. Is this an issue or not.

Regards,
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Kyalami
Vehicle: Hilux 2006 3.0D4D 2x4 DC

Post by Mikie »

I am going to give you guys a try Mark, hoping it all goes as smooth as you have said
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Thanks Mikie, feel free to post your feedback on the forum as I'm sure other members will be interested in knowing what you think of the system.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Mark_Ashford wrote:Thanks Mikie, feel free to post your feedback on the forum as I'm sure other members will be interested in knowing what you think of the system.
And your service ;-)
Cleaner
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 4l V6 4x4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X31

Post by Cleaner »

Subscribed to the thread! Eagerly awaiting the feedback!
ImageImageImage
"Every loaf of bread is tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't. - Walter Thornburgh"
"The best cure for Sea Sickness, is to sit under a tree. - Spike Milligan"
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I have ordered, now the waiting game is on :-)
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Great stuff Mikie, which model did you order?
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

http://www.stopshop.co.za/buy-toyota-hi ... a300-.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

No Maps yet, but once I get it I will consider it
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

That's a good system and the interface is really nice, good choice. I'm assuming you have a pre-facelift Fortuner or Hilux and not the 2012 facelift model, right?
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Mark_Ashford wrote:That's a good system and the interface is really nice, good choice. I'm assuming you have a pre-facelift Fortuner or Hilux and not the 2012 facelift model, right?
Yes 2006 Model
Vitamin C
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40

Post by Vitamin C »

Hi Mikie,

I am new on the forum and also really interested in this head unit. Have you received it as yet?
Really enjoying the feedback and advice that is available on the forum.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Vitamin C wrote:Hi Mikie,

I am new on the forum and also really interested in this head unit. Have you received it as yet?
Really enjoying the feedback and advice that is available on the forum.

DHL Has it, hoping to receive it today will feedback soon as I do
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Just received it, 9 days from order to receiving

And the charges have been just as Mark said they would be, no hidden costs.

Will unpack unit tonight and check it out, installation will happen tomorrow
I am now like a child with a new toy :celebrate:
Vitamin C
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Vehicle: Hilux Legend 40

Post by Vitamin C »

Thats great news.
Haha, I can imagine! All the best with the installation, waiting for your feedback.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

I installed it!! Very cool, and pretty simple to install too, just plug in all the wires into their respective sockets and voila.
Tomorrow I will run through the setup and how it all works, I was suffering from a bit of a babelas today so wasnt in the mood to fiddle much
Attachments
The installed radio
The installed radio
2012-08-09 14.07.16.jpg
2012-08-09 14.06.45.jpg
2012-08-09 14.06.34.jpg
Includes a remote
(62.17 KiB) Downloaded 1861 times
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

looking good, hows the sound quality of the radio and cd compared to the stock unit?
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Sound quality is so much better, havent really used the cd yet but I am willing to bet it will be better, my stock unit used to error out when it played for too long
RiyadhFortuner
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by RiyadhFortuner »

cool, cause I noticed that the stock radio's sound quality on fm is a little soft. Also was it direct plug and play or did you have to make some mods?
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Plug and pray. No mods
Philly
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Jhb
Vehicle: 2014 Toyota Prado VX D4D

Post by Philly »

Hi Mike

What maps are you going to load? Garmap with tracks4africa? Im looking at getting same unit for 2007 Fortuner. Would like to find out as much as I can before I decide to buy the unit.
Thanks
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Hey Phillip

I havent decided yet, I have a Garmin ubnit that I am using still, so still thinking about it, if I do go the GPS route as well I will definitely go Garmin, Updates and stuff will only benefit me having the Garmin unit and the Head Unit.
I see Garmin also has changed their POI downloads, to a subscribed thing, so if I want to know about speed traps etc I will have to pay for the downloads, being ale to do it once for both my units is a bonus
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

I am in the process of ordering me one of these multi units. How do you remove the standard radio? I do not want to start pulling on the cover and then breaking it. Do I start from the ash tray or from the radio side?

Quintin or anyone else who has a reverse camera fitted, where is the camera situated? Do you find where it is fitted is a good place or would you have preferred it to be situated somewhere else?

Thanks,
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Hi Mark_Ashford,

3 questions:

1. Any chance you can give us the key differences between the 4 units for the Hilux Vigo, ref: http://www.stopshop.co.za/359-buy-toyot ... gps-satnav??
2. What is the sound quality of the hands-free kit like?
3. I take it you cannot just take the SD car out your Garmin portable and plug it in these head units?

I'm also very interested as my 2007 radio battles with mp3's via the CD player. Most frustrating. So I'm using one of those FM broadcast mp3 players, but the sound quality is shoddy.

Mr B
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Whisky wrote:I am in the process of ordering me one of these multi units. How do you remove the standard radio? I do not want to start pulling on the cover and then breaking it. Do I start from the ash tray or from the radio side?

Quintin or anyone else who has a reverse camera fitted, where is the camera situated? Do you find where it is fitted is a good place or would you have preferred it to be situated somewhere else?

Thanks,
Very easy, pull the rotating, heater, fan and direction knobs off.
There is one Phillips screw behind the middle one, take it out
Pull the whole panel from below the middle vents, the push in clips just release, whole panel will come out.
Unclip the 2 wires connected to it
Use a 10 socket and take out the 4 bolts holding the radio in
Pull radio out, unplug wires from back.
take the brackets off the radio and screw to the replacement unit,
reverse procedure
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Mr_B wrote:Hi Mark_Ashford,

3 questions:

1. Any chance you can give us the key differences between the 4 units for the Hilux Vigo, ref: http://www.stopshop.co.za/359-buy-toyot ... gps-satnav??
2. What is the sound quality of the hands-free kit like?
3. I take it you cannot just take the SD car out your Garmin portable and plug it in these head units?

I'm also very interested as my 2007 radio battles with mp3's via the CD player. Most frustrating. So I'm using one of those FM broadcast mp3 players, but the sound quality is shoddy.

Mr B
The quality is good, plays through the radio speakers, I have no complaints so far
Its a micro SD card so not sure its gonna work
I have been using a memory stick with videos and mp3s on it, works very well, plugs into the USB port in front, also you can get so many more MP3's on a dvd disk, and it has an Ipod plug too, so another way to play, my phone connected via bluetooth can also play the music on it, via the radio interface, and I was very surprised at the quality

Just my 2c

Mark, what does the maps cost? I am interested in the Garmin maps.
Whisky
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Whisky »

Thanks Mikie,
Mine is the 2009 model, no rotating knobs all push button. So I assume it would be clips holding the panel. I will pull it as you mentioned and see what happens. I will not use force.
Mikie
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by Mikie »

Whisky wrote:Thanks Mikie,
Mine is the 2009 model, no rotating knobs all push button. So I assume it would be clips holding the panel. I will pull it as you mentioned and see what happens. I will not use force.
Yes easy does it shouldnt be an issue.
But more or less where the middle rotating knob would have been, if you can remove whatever is there then there shoudl be a screw behind it.
Its not really clips, but kinda just pushes in snugly :thumbup:
Mark_Ashford
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Mark_Ashford »

Hi Mikie, glad you're happy with the system :)

Unfortunately you can't install Garmin because it's hardware specific so it'll only run on Garmin hardware, basically you can't take the card from a Nuvi (as an example) and use it on the system because it's not WinCE compatible which the systems runs on. Garmap for WinCE for example will work but 2 big problems; cost about R2500.00 last I saw and we've had customers say that it's not that great and rather slow especially when it comes to rerouting.

We’ll be offering software and SA maps soon, you can ask to be notified once it’s available from our webstore by simply emailing sales at stopshop dot coza and just mentioning that you want your email address on the mailing list for the new SA maps. Once launched, you’ll automatically receive an email with a direct link to the software & maps.

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”