Difflock does not disengage!

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Brett Steyn
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Raider, Legend 35, 2.7l

Difflock does not disengage!

Post by Brett Steyn »

Hello,

Can anyone perhaps help? I have a 2005 2.7l petrol with diff-lock. I for some reason can't get my diff-lock to disengage. Initially when I bought the vehicle, the diff-lock did not function so I replaced the solenoid valve in the engine area. I switch the diff-lock on and she engages after a little swerving around on the gravel road. When I switch it off, the diff-lock does not disengage but if you remove the pipe from the solenoid to the diff she only then disengages after a little swerving around on the gravel road. I took it to Toyota for a service and they had a look. They recommended I take it to an auto electrician. Can anyone help, any thought?

Regards,
Brett
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Re: Difflock does not disengage!

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

It sounds like an air one. THere is a pipe from brake master to solinoid then another to diff. Before removing the pipe, did you try reversing a short distance first? Sometimes it doesnt disengage but if reverse it will unlock. I dont think it is an electrical problem if the solonoid is working.
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If the solenoid valve is clicking for both on and off positions, then it's not an electrical fault. the fault will be that the vacuum is not being relieved. Normally there will be a one-way valve in the line between the brake booster and the manifold and quite often guys will fit an extra one-way / non-return valve in the line from the brake booster to the solenoid valve (the one that feeds the valve with vacuum). If this valve for some reason has been erroneously fitted to the line going to the diff, tthen you will have that problem.

;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Brett Steyn
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Raider, Legend 35, 2.7l

Post by Brett Steyn »

Mud Dog wrote:If the solenoid valve is clicking for both on and off positions, then it's not an electrical fault. the fault will be that the vacuum is not being relieved. Normally there will be a one-way valve in the line between the brake booster and the manifold and quite often guys will fit an extra one-way / non-return valve in the line from the brake booster to the solenoid valve (the one that feeds the valve with vacuum). If this valve for some reason has been erroneously fitted to the line going to the diff, tthen you will have that problem.

;-)
Thanks "Mud Dog" I appreciate the feedback. I will go have a look and see if I can locate this / these one way valves then!
shaunmeizter
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Bellville
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 2.4 DC & Fortuna 3D4D 4x4

Post by shaunmeizter »

I had the same problem with my 2003 2.7 2x4. I replaced the valve in the engine bay. Opened the old (broken) one to see how it works. When you turn on the difflock the electric current run and make it magnetic inside, this picks up a weight to "lock" the air, if you turn is off the weight drops again and free the air for the difflock to disengage. If you have the same one there is a rubber cap on the top, spray bit of anti rust or Q10 in and shake it to losen the weight it worked on my 1997 2.4 4x4 (exact same difflock).
2.8 d/cab SFA
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

yes mine was same "rubber cap on the top, spray bit of anti rust or Q10 "
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”