1991 Hilux spruce up questions

If you drive a 4x2 Hilux, do NOT think you are not welcome. Post your questions here
Inprogress
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Motorcycles

1991 Hilux spruce up questions

Post by Inprogress »

Hello every one.

I am a member of three forums (Wilddog, ADVRider, Thumpertalk), this being my fourth. I hope you knowledgable folk can give me some advice.

Every since 1998, my parents promised me the Hilux 2.4 diesel which is used on the farm....."one day when we sell the farm".....well that day has come. Now, the H worked hard, and is very much weathered. I had a look at it today to see what I will need to do to it to figure out a budget to get it back to a nice condition...not show stopper, not mint, just neat. It starts willingly and pulls very willingly. From my little knowledge, I will have to replace the leaf springs, shocks, all rubber bushes, the seat, the dash (unless that can be fixed) and do some slight panel beating on the tub bottom over hangs, plus spray (not absolutely required, but will complete the spruce up), and a few other bits and pieces ranging from fixing the hand brake, to cleaning the brake system etc.

So my question is, based on the very minute amount of info that I have given you all, what would you think my budget will be and where can I get parts. I got this bakkie for free, and only want to spruce it up so that I can use it on the odd day I need a tub (I ride Dual Sport bikes 99% of the time - even sold my car in August) to move stuff.

What is the consensus? What capital investment am I looking at roughly (excluding the spray work)? I think what might be a good thing to do as well is service properly, which I think will be great if I replace wheel bearings as well. The steering either needs replacement, or adjustment as it is a bit loose. The right front wheel has play at one of the linkages, and although nothing wrong, the gearshift could benefit from new, I suppose, linkages and guides.

Am I in for a shocker, or could I do this for relatively cheaply and end with a very much usable bakkie in neat condition.

Thanks a million to you all and I wish you all a very happy weekend and coming week.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 1991 Hilux spruce up questions

Post by Mud Dog »

Welcome here Frants! :thumbup:
Is this a 4x4 or 4x2 Hilux? Shocks and suspension bushes, yes ... but why the leaf spings? Are they really that bad that they need to be replaced? If it's IFS suspension in front, it can usually be adjusted if it has sagged. Seats can be re-covered cheaper than replacement.

It sounds that the vehicle is mechanically sound but a good full service may be in order, at which time the brakes would be attended to anyway. After working hard on a farm, a body job and respray would normally go a long way to improve the appearance. A second hand replacement dash might be the way to go. As for wheel bearings, it would depend on mileage and if they're starting to get noisy. Steering linkages that are worn and need replacement may be pricey, but depends on what needs replacement.

Can't even give you a rough estimate of costs, but I don't think it would be a train smash, especially if you can do most of it yourself. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Inprogress
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: Motorcycles

Post by Inprogress »

Thanks Mud Dog. Yes, its a 4x2.....ahahhaha, almost said 2x4 which sounds really funny on this forum.

I will take some pics tomorrow and post them. The leave springs, from what I see, they are almost straight sitting on the bakkie (ok, there is about 150liters of water on the back in a fire fighting spray tank with petrol engine).

Spray I think I could get away with about R7000 IF I just hand over the cab and tub bare. Well, they charged my friend in that little town just outside Graaf Reinett R6000 (he also gave them the stripped UNO with only the engine still inside) and they smoothed out the metal work he did etc. Made it look brand new.

I could recover the seat which will probably be best, although it is completely worn through on the driver side and currently I think even some of the foam is missing. Could probably get a seat in such a condition to recover from a scrap yard.

Don't mind doing the work myself really, could be fun and could give me more excuses to buy some more tools...I like tools.

My very rough estimate was R15,000 total (considering my dad had a 1995 Isuzu 250 redone for R20k, it was rolled on the farm - not sure what condition it was in, but looks good now.....just the small details are missing from the job, hence I will had them the cab and tub stripped). But the R15k budget is really a guestimation since I have no idea what the springs cost etc. I'm working on worst case scenario here where things needs to be replaced with either new or used parts in good condition.

Thanks for the welcome and I hope to get this going in the next couple of months (the bakkie is just outside Newcastle and I live in PE, currently looking for a new place to stay......relationship breakup). But I could either get TONS of space to work on the bakkie in Elands River area, or Kareedou. Or who knows, my new place.

Happy trails.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Most upholsterers will replace the seat foam anyway. I'm still thinking you don't need to replace the springs, especially if it's going to be used mainly on-road. The steering / front suspension parts / linkages that are worn is where you are going to pick up your bigger mechanical expenses. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “4x2 Hilux's Welcome”