CKGR

Planning a trip or you need information about trails in your area.
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

CKGR

Post by warrenaken »

Hi Guys,
I’m looking for a bit of advice on traveling times in the CKGR. I have read a few trip reports and articles and have seen times vary quite a bit.
I need to travel from Khutse (Molose) to Xade, which is about 250km
And the second leg is Xade to Passarge Valley (Manong), which is about 240km.
I have heard everything from 8hr to 2 day, if you have done the trip, please can you let me know what I’m in for! :crazy:
Thanks
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: CKGR

Post by Mud Dog »

Never been, but would love to do the Central Kalahari Game Reserve myself. That's a trip report I would look forward to! :wink: Best of luck with the arrangements. :D
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Warren I have been to Kutze but not as far as Xade.

First problem is that the speed limit is 30km/h so 250km is going to take you 8h+ to travel.

Mapsourse says it wil take 18hours 50min from Gabs to Xade, also take into account gate entrance delay and stopping for pics, wee breaks, food and, and, and!

You could also look at another route I see via Kang, towards Ghanzi(east). There appears to be a road. Which will take you 15 hours, km wise mort though!
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Warren I have been to Kutze but not as far as Xade.

First problem is that the speed limit is 30km/h so 250km is going to take you 8h+ to travel.

Mapsourse says it wil take 18hours 50min from Gabs to Xade, also take into account gate entrance delay and stopping for pics, wee breaks, food and, and, and!

You could also look at another route I see via Kang, towards Ghanzi(east). There appears to be a road. Which will take you 15 hours, km wise mort though!
warrenaken
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: 3.0 KZ-TE 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X04

Post by warrenaken »

Thanks Mark, my plan so far is:

Sat Molose Pan(KHMOS02)
Sun Molose Pan(KHMOS02)
Mon Xade (CKXAD01)
Tue Passarge Valley
Wed Passarge Valley
Thu Deception Valley (CKDEC02)
Fri Deception Valley (CKDEC02)
Sat Khama Rhino Sanctuary
Sun Home

I assume it must be possible as it is the only halfway point to stop really ????
Mapsource says the Khutse - Xade is about 11hr. is this based on peoples averages from the tracks submitted to make the T4A or is it calculated on the speed limit (25km/h). always wondered that :think:
Toyota Hilux KZ-TE
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Warren, just outside the Southern gate of Kutze, coming from Gabs (500m to the right) there is a nice big tree where you can bush-camp. :thumbup:

Return to “Places to go”