Number of bends in air pipe versus performance?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Number of bends in air pipe versus performance?

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi There,

I have a quick question. Will the number of bends (90 degree) in the air pipe influence the performance of the engine? I was looking at mine, and the air filter already introduces 2 x 90 degree bends. If the bends do restrict the airflow, wouldn't it make sense to do a mod where the airfilter's outlet is nearer to the intake of the throttle body? If you could turn the filter around, the outlet would be nearer and you could elimininate the 2x90 degree bends.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Re: Number of bends in air pipe versus performance?

Post by ThysdJ »

I guess if you are hunting that extra .01 sec on a quartermile that would be something you would seriously look at, but in the Hilux scheme of things, I dont think it has such a big influence. Yes, it is true, "less is more" and the more bends the more turbulence and restriction on the flow, but you wont really feel a big difference. You can also increase the ID of the pipe and the bends. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
LoneRanger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 95 Hilux 2.2 4y double Cab 4x4

Post by LoneRanger »

The other thing is that a staight pipe would increace in the noise factor as well - the sound now runs direct instead of being bounced around - consider your silencer - the air goes into the front section the gets squeesed into a pipe that leads to the middle and the then again and then out! so if you want performance ...... get rid of the silencers :D
My Toys - and freedom
Old man emu suspension,snorkel,PowerFlow exhaust and branch,burnco bumpers front and back, burnco aluminium canopy,awning, 31" Bridgestone A/T,dual battery system, long range fuel tank and water tank and rear lockers.
1100cc Honda Blackbird 2002
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

The intake manifold on a 4Y is so restrictive, that it doesn't really matter to much how many twists and turns come before it!

The important thing is just not to use ribbed air pipe, as it acts as a major air flow restrictor and generates alot of unwanted turbulence... rather use piping with a smooth inner wall!

mr b
Sifu-Lux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Mount Vernon Illinois
Vehicle: GMC Sierra SLT Z71 (Used to drive a '91 SFA Hilux YN67R 4x4 ,Full OME, ARB lockers front and rear, Ford 3L V6, 35mm axle move, 33" General Grabber X3's and dual transfer cases....... Keep her safe Mud Dog!

Post by Sifu-Lux »

If you have a look at modern engines with variable geometry intake manifolds, you will see that when the engine revs are low, with a lower demand for air (say under 3000 RPM) the variable geometry intake runner is switched to a longer intake length, which increases the velocity of the incoming air charge and results in increased torque at lower RPM's.

As the revs rise, and the engine sucks more air, the variable geometry intake runner is switched to utilise the shorter intake runner which allows a higher volume of air with less restriction to the flow allowing for greater power to be developed (more air + more fuel).

For the Hilux with the 4Y/22R and even the Ford V6 which are not rev happy motors in standard form, a long smooth intake runner with as few bends as possible would be the best.

Airfilter direct on the carb with no runner creates very turbulent flow and reduced torque due to the low velocity, turbulent air flow. Not what you want with an offroad vehicle.
Sifu-Lux....I will miss you
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Thanks everyone.

Here is a picture of my setup. Would it be a case of "krap waar dit nie jeuk nie" if I modify the air filter housing. In the photo you cannot clearly see the 2 bends in the metal outlet from the filter. If I rotate the filter so that the back is in the front, the outlet will then align better with the throttle body.

What are your thoughts - should I rather use the money and tile the lounge - (will make my wife happy...)
Air-setup.JPG

Kind Regards,
Jaco
andrew doherty 90
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: ipswich
Vehicle: hilux 1998 ifs 2.7 petrol - 31" maxxis tyres, 4 hella spotlights, uhf radio (9db), custom sound system (1200 watt sub, 2x 300 watt 6" splits, custom 8" component splits

Post by andrew doherty 90 »

I think, if ur worried about costs and if it will make much difference, you can do an intake made of pvc pipe (storm water pipe) and attach a pod filter or other aftermarket filter.
You can then increase the diameter of ur intake aswell. The main downside is it usually looks cheap and cr@!.
But turning ur filter box around could be easier, depending on the mounting brackets.
If u know what colour ur car is you havnt had enough mud!
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

Jaco

I removed the pipe on the dyno to see if it made a change in your performance and it did not make a difference at all if I removed the pipe, so there goes Bretton's theory about the restrictive aircleaner and ribbed pipe as well.

Some engines like Riaan's Oupa actually loses performance if you remove the restriction.

SO far the only vehicle we had on the dyno that we had to change piping on was Marius's Rooiwyn with the 3RZ mouter on the SFA and the guys used some plumbing that belonged to the origional 3L's turbo conversion and was less then 50mm ID on the one bend. Removed it and put ribbed sleeve on, increased the top en by 10HP on the dyno.

So yes tile Swambo's lounge rather
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

andrew doherty 90 wrote:I think, if ur worried about costs and if it will make much difference, you can do an intake made of pvc pipe (storm water pipe) and attach a pod filter or other aftermarket filter.
You can then increase the diameter of ur intake aswell. The main downside is it usually looks cheap and cr@!.
But turning ur filter box around could be easier, depending on the mounting brackets.
Said it many times before on this forum after market cone filters on a 4x4 is a no no, only good to filter out stones, birds and small pedestrians, dust go straight through it, PVC will not withstand the heat it will become soft and deform.
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Kaspaas wrote:I guess if you are hunting that extra .01 sec on a quartermile that would be something you would seriously look at:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Just check how straight the air intake pipe on the Interceptor is...
Attachments
Hilux interior makover 116-1.JPG
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

Yes very effective it will only allow 1 Cubic Inches of sand stones and insects through with every 5 Cubic Inches of air. :twisted: :twisted:
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

Jissie, maar that is effective!!!! I thought it was a 1 to 1 ratio...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
King Rat
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by King Rat »

Tak, moenie stry nie, wat weet jy :twisted: :twisted:
Datsun GX Coupe 1200
99 Subaru Legacy GT
07 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2 V6

Lampropeltis getula californiae, Orthriophis taeniura friesi, Morelia spilota, Python brongersmai, Epicrates chenchria maurus, Python regius
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

V8 Interceptor wrote:Jissie, maar that is effective!!!! I thought it was a 1 to 1 ratio...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
But if you secure the the pan properly on the carb so that it does not such in air past the ambrella ag I mean air cleaner, the ratio becomes 1:1
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

BenHur wrote:Jaco

I removed the pipe on the dyno to see if it made a change in your performance and it did not make a difference at all if I removed the pipe, so there goes Bretton's theory about the restrictive aircleaner and ribbed pipe as well.
Yes yes... wise man... go read my post... firstly I never mentioned the aircleaner... according to people more knowledgeable than me... the intake manifold on a 4Y is the issue, so therefore ribbed vs smooth wall pipe(of the same internal diameter) has little or no effect on engine power... hence your correct deductions on the dyno...

dankie...
thank you...
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Cone filters let dust in like nothing. My Silver Lux had one and after 1 month I had to replace it.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

If you maybe want that 1 to 5kw more on a 4y / 22R you should rather concentrate on the exhaust side. Get some heat insulation tape and tape up the exhaust manifold. This will increase the heat in the pipe making it less dense and gets out of the system faster. It also has a cooling effect on the air temp in the engine bay which will also help with performance as cooler air is denser air.

To God be the glory
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

I will look into this...

:thumbup:
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Moenie te diep kyk nie... it might be a scam
To God be the glory
DOELLOOS

Post by DOELLOOS »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny guy, I kill you last....
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

V8 Interceptor wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny guy, I kill you last....
:wth: :wth: :wth: :wth: :wth:
To God be the glory
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by BenHur »

point is Jaco's 4y is as good as it will get on a stock cam end head, time for tiling now

Return to “The Workshop”