Suspension Lift

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Tsumeb
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Suspension Lift

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ek weet n stupid vraag kry n stupid antwoord maar "as" hierdie n stupid vraag is soek ek asb nie n stupid antwoord nie :idea:
Almal sukkel met body lifts en suspension lifts, het nou gesit en wonder, kan mens nie tussen jou blad vere en jou as n spacer in sit nie? Dis tog baie makliker of nie?:crazy:
Is gebed jou spaarwiel of jou stuurwiel?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: Suspension Lift

Post by Hoppy »

Jy kan, jy kry ook sulke 4" kits te koop.

Dit vermeerder nie jou "travel" of "articulation" nie

Dit veroorsaak ook "axle tramp" veral in sand, ek het twee stelle hier wat ek moes uithaal.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

axle tramp
Jo Allan, wat de jorry is dit?
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 1991 Hilux2.2 ---1987 Hilux D/C Hella 1000, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Good Year M/TR, Warn Winch, STK bullbar, Extended shacles, Kenwood VHF-SOLD

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Verduidelik bietjie meer en wat is axle tramp?
'Life is a coin. You can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it ONCE'
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Dis Jorrie se meisie wat onder die bakkie le, Mark... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Axle tramp
A form of wheel hop which is usually found in live rear axle cars. It occurs when sudden torque loads on the suspension cause the driven wheels to shake violently by slightly rotating the wheels and then springing back.
Thanks to : http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/AX.HTM

Another explanation:
Axle tramp used to be caused when leaf springs got wound up by the torque developed by a fast take off. This cause the springs to distort into an 'S' shape which is unatural so the springs tried to straighten out again thus causing a tramping effect of the wheels bouncing.
With the setup on a Supra this I believe shouldn't happen (but I'm prepared to accept differently) and what I believe is happening is similar but not the same.
As you try taking off quickly the wheels will lose their grip as noted by the spinning, the grip starts to come back as the road speed increases but not in a uniform manner so what you're getting is 'spin, grip, spin, grip' again causing a possible bouncing effect in the suspension. You should feel this. If you're not getting any bouncing at the rear then I would check all your bushes because theres some other movement in the drivetrain causing this thudding.
Thanks to: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/archive/in ... t-563.html
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

Dankie :thumbup:

Gelukkig ken ek haar nie!
Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

unknown wrote:Axle tramp
A form of wheel hop which is usually found in live rear axle cars. It occurs when sudden torque loads on the suspension cause the driven wheels to shake violently by slightly rotating the wheels and then springing back.
That's what Bretton's van does on tar when you drop the clutch at 4500, afraid you can't see much though for the smoke pouring off those 33 muds :twisted:
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Axle tramp used to be caused when leaf springs got wound up by the torque developed by a fast take off. This cause the springs to distort into an 'S' shape which is unatural so the springs tried to straighten out again thus causing a tramping effect of the wheels bouncing.
With the setup on a Supra this I believe shouldn't happen (but I'm prepared to accept differently) and what I believe is happening is similar but not the same.
As you try taking off quickly the wheels will lose their grip as noted by the spinning, the grip starts to come back as the road speed increases but not in a uniform manner so what you're getting is 'spin, grip, spin, grip' again causing a possible bouncing effect in the suspension. You should feel this. If you're not getting any bouncing at the rear then I would check all your bushes because theres some other movement in the drivetrain causing this thudding.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Okay kaspaas se 7mge was nou weer vinneger as my 4y..sorry
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

wat noem 'n mens dit dan in afrikaans........'n "As Trass"?
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

Ek sien julle manne ken ook vir Google.... Geluk.. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thys de Jager

Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I've learned something too .... never knew there was a name for it ... always just referred to it as wheel hop caused by leaf spring twist. Incidentally this occurs under heavy braking as well ... one of the other reasons why we have torque rods on our SFA's since the front wheels do most of the braking. :wink:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Allen is die goed dalk tekoop? Kan jy fotos plaas van hoe dit lyk? Moet mens dan jou shocks verander? Het Rancho rs9000xl in op die oomblik
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

As jy so ver is, sal dit goedkoper wees om dit self te maak, sal vir Kaspaas of die engelsman kry om foto's te plaas.
Jou shocks sal werk.
Ek beveel dit nog steeds nie aan nie.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Dankie, waf in spanning
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

As mens van die load hog helpers by die vere sit sal dit nie dalk die axle tramp verminder of weg vat nie??
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

hi-hilux wrote:As mens van die load hog helpers by die vere sit sal dit nie dalk die axle tramp verminder of weg vat nie??
Nee, al wat die load-hog helpers doen is om jou veer-artikulasie heeltemal op te bogger. :shock: :shock:
Thys de Jager

Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

En as mens op die agterste as ook n tipe torque rod kan opsit of maak?
ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

hi-hilux wrote:En as mens op die agterste as ook n tipe torque rod kan opsit of maak?
Ja jy sal so iets kan maak. Ek het algesien dat ouens dit doen. :thumbup:
Thys de Jager

Uys
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2008 D4-d Fortuner

Post by Uys »

Maak liewer langer shackles
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Rather do a proper body lift, it's not that expensive... or if finance is really an issue consider a set of extended shackles...

I did the extended shackles, works great and I got decent lift, same as 50mm body lift!

Mikem Suspensions sells good quality greasable ones at an affordable cost!

Mr B
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Het nie agter n probleem om langer shackles te maak nie, maar as jy voor ook langer shacles maak dan raak die propshaft se angle te veel...of so dink ek.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

any pics Bretton? Its not the finance....its the amount of work
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Will take a foti or 2 this evening, my lux is home in the garage... with the power steering box in pieces!

Mr B
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Sorry to hear. Thanx so far
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

hi-hilux wrote:Het nie agter n probleem om langer shackles te maak nie, maar as jy voor ook langer shacles maak dan raak die propshaft se angle te veel...of so dink ek.
If you have as much as 100mm suspension lift (springs) as well as extended shackles, the propshaft angle should still be OK for the uni's to handle but the length of the shaft may be a problem. If the overall lift is too much you might need the have the prop lengthened & balanced. To check if it's OK, jack up the front till the wheels hang free, then try move the prop from side to side / up & down in the centre. If the slip joint allows more than 10mm overall sideway movement (5mm each side), it's either worn or too close to the end of it's travel. :wink:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

:( :( No pics bretton :cry: :cry:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Trevor sorry man, I had an important visitor last night, and then totally forgot about it... will post the pic this evening if this is ok?

Mr B
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

No problem Bretton...will it be posible to give me the front and rear shackle lenthgs as well? Please..
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

hi-hilux wrote:No problem Bretton...will it be posible to give me the front and rear shackle lenthgs as well? Please..
Will measure this evening, but if memory serves me well it 100mm...

Mr B
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Because the front is shorter than the rear on my lux...therefore i want/need the measurements pleaze
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Hi Trevor, I got extended Mikem shackles (greasable), although I bought it from Alucab tho, give darryl a call they cost around R600 per pair ex delivery, if I am not mistaken they 50mm longer than standard hence giving 25mm lift
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Will it be posible to get 45-50mm lift out of shacles or will it become a danger hazard? coz 25mm isnt much
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by ismail »

i think it will be a hazard, think of it, your bakkie loaded and "floating" on stilts.
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
COREFLY
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: BLOEMFONTEIN
Vehicle: 2200 4X4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X 59

Post by COREFLY »

hi-hilux wrote:Will it be posible to get 45-50mm lift out of shacles or will it become a danger hazard? coz 25mm isnt much
Howzit,if you want to lift to 50mm then you must lift your shackle with 50mm and extend your fixed point with 50mm aswell,if you just lift your shackle at the back you gonna have to lift your shackle 100mm longer than what it already is to get a 50mm lift,dont think it to safe cause yore shackle can flip in the wrong direction without knowing and it wil chow into your chassis
I THINK !!!!
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

On my 1952 Willys CJ3B Jeep The previous owner did a Axel under leave spring conversion from the standard axel over leave spring, and neadless to say I broke the pinion gear on the rear axel (Dana 44) then i fitted a torque rod that helped a lot. but not enough.
On my SFA I've got a 3" Procomp Lift it comes with lift blocks at the back that u use with your standard SFA rear leave springs, altough the Procomp lift is werry impressive and capable i'll cange the rear leaves with the lift blocks for a Mikem as soon as the funds is availible.

With my 31" there is already some axlewrap.

My opinion stay away from the lift blocks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by GeorgeJvR on Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

""if you want to lift to 50mm then you must lift your shackle with 50mm and extend your fixed point with 50mm aswell""

I never thought about this, make sence and alot saver i think than very long shackles alone :thumbup:
Hannes.S
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: 11
Vehicle: 111

Post by Hannes.S »

hi-hilux wrote:""if you want to lift to 50mm then you must lift your shackle with 50mm and extend your fixed point with 50mm aswell""

I never thought about this, make sence and alot saver i think than very long shackles alone :thumbup:
How do you extend the fix point? Never seen this done before.....
Only way I can think of is by cutting of the current U shape mount on the chassis, replacing it with a longer and stronger one?
But don't think I wil trust my own or for this sake any ones welding on this part... Can get very risky.
Asterix
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 1990 SFA Hilux

Post by Asterix »

Mitch,

Please see if you can get some pics of the fixing point change. I totally support the theory, I just need to picture the fixing point mod.

Cheers!
COREFLY
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: BLOEMFONTEIN
Vehicle: 2200 4X4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X 59

Post by COREFLY »

I think it would be best to take it to a engineering shop
Much safer,should get some form off guarantee
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Pics Bret??
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Image Sorry dude... I've been a bad bee! :oops:

Here we go...

Rear extended shackle:
rear_ext_shackles.jpg
Front extended shackle:
front_ext_shackles.jpg
Rear Height(I've got 33's on...)
rear_height.jpg
(21.02 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Front Height:(again 33's...)
front_height.jpg
(20.82 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
I hope all is forgiven now!
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

In my opinion there is no need nor real benefit from changing the fixing position of the shackles. If this were a beneficial mod, there would already be guys that have done it with a whole bunch of threads on the topic. This is something that's critical to safety ... I would'nt consider it. :wink:

ThysdJ

Post by ThysdJ »

I agree with Andy, cutting and drilling on a chassis is not recommended. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Thys de Jager

Dadz Toy BFI

Post by Dadz Toy BFI »

Rember guys them's "Import Spec SFA Hilux" ones hey, different to "Local Spec" SFA Hilux hey :Geek:
Last edited by Dadz Toy BFI on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Dankie vir jou tyd...
Attachments
Vergewe.jpg
front_ext_shackles.jpg
(35.03 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
rear_ext_shackles.jpg
rear_ext_shackles.jpg (37.21 KiB) Viewed 4711 times
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Trevor... from grease nipple to grease nipple... front and rear... 142mm...

Mr B
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Mr_B wrote:Rather do a proper body lift, it's not that expensive... or if finance is really an issue consider a set of extended shackles...

I did the extended shackles, works great and I got decent lift, same as 50mm body lift!

Mr B
Myne meet 80mm agter en 90mm voor, dis 63mm verskil van joune. Glo nie ek sal 50mm lift uit dit kry nie, maar sal dit probeer die naweek en sien wat die lift in mm is. nogmaals dankie vir jou tyd
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

hi-hilux wrote:
Mr_B wrote:Rather do a proper body lift, it's not that expensive... or if finance is really an issue consider a set of extended shackles...

Mr B
Myne meet 80mm agter en 90mm voor, dis 63mm verskil van joune. Glo nie ek sal 50mm lift uit dit kry nie, maar sal dit probeer die naweek en sien wat die lift in mm is. nogmaals dankie vir jou tyd
Don't forget that Bretton has bigger tyres fitted .... 33's that's already about 75mm more than the standard 30's and 50mm more than the more commonly used 31's.
When I originally fitted OME, I achieved a lift of about 110mm which has since settled a little, but not much.

Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ek verstaan dat hy 33's op het maar ek bedoel die lift uit die shackles sal nie 50mm gee nie, nie as daar n 63mm verskil tussen ons shackles is nie of is ek verkeerd?
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by ismail »

Mud dog, 110mm with the OME, thats quite abit.

I surf more than I work
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

hi-hilux wrote:Ek verstaan dat hy 33's op het maar ek bedoel die lift uit die shackles sal nie 50mm gee nie, nie as daar n 63mm verskil tussen ons shackles is nie of is ek verkeerd?
That's correct, but in my case the bushes were shot and binding, so the shackle couldn't return to it's default position... the new shackles and bushes fixed that! When Allan did the install for me, he parked my hilux next to one with a 50mm body lift and 33's, Bolt was standing a little taller!

Wait here is a pic of Bolt(right... OME susp, 33's and ext shackles) and Kwaga(left... OME sus, 35's and 50mm body lift)..

Hessequas - April 2009...
suspension.jpg

Mr B
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Het nou bietjie rond gelees, mens kan werk op 10mm lift vir elke 25mm wat jy die shackle langer maak. So op mates met n 63mm verskil gaan ek so 20 tot 30mm lift kry. Dit sal ek dan vir voor gebruik en agter sal ek die shackles 190mm maak wat my so 40mm lift gaan gee. Klink vir my goed.

Jou trokkie lyk heel windgat!
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Don't make the shackles too long, else your lux will handle like a boat!
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

No i will not go longer than 190mm in the rear and 140mm for the front
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

ismail wrote:Mud dog, 110mm with the OME, thats quite abit.
I think the old ones were very tired. :wink:

Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Ek het gou staal pryse gaan kry. Sal 40x8mm flat bar mild steel reg wees vir die shackles? N$261 vir 6mete lengte.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Is mild steel strong enough?? Won't it flex too much?
Hi-Hilux
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Hi-Hilux »

Will support it in the middle with a "rib".....dont know thats why im asking you clever people. I think it will work that 8mm is lekker fris yster
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I would rather buy a quality manufacturer product... then at least u know its up to the job!

Return to “The Workshop”