3L Glow plug relay

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
AlbertH
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '97 Hilux 2.8D DC 4x4

3L Glow plug relay

Post by AlbertH »

Hi all

I have a '97 2.8 diesel and I would like some advise with an electrical problem. The glow plug relay seems to be stuffed. The glow plug light does'nt light up and the glow plugs don't glow. But another problem is that if I use the indicators the glow plug relay clicks on and off and the headlights and other electrics (fan, etc) also dims. Is the indicators on the same circuit as the glow plugs? Will it be fixed if I just replace the relay and where can I get one cheaper than Toyota's R407.96? Daylight robbery if you ask me.

Thanks
Albert
iHilux
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bloemfontein
Vehicle: 2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW

Re: 3L Glow plug relay

Post by iHilux »

AlbertH wrote:Hi all

I have a '97 2.8 diesel and I would like some advise with an electrical problem. The glow plug relay seems to be stuffed. The glow plug light does'nt light up and the glow plugs don't glow. But another problem is that if I use the indicators the glow plug relay clicks on and off and the headlights and other electrics (fan, etc) also dims. Is the indicators on the same circuit as the glow plugs? Will it be fixed if I just replace the relay and where can I get one cheaper than Toyota's R407.96? Daylight robbery if you ask me.

Thanks
Albert
From your discription, it looks like you may have a short somewhere. Probably a faulty earth.

You can get glow plug relays other than the OEM part, but they are rather "timers" where as the origional will be timed according to the engine temp.

How long has the timer not worked for?
2007 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 SW
AlbertH

Post by AlbertH »

It stopped working a couple of weeks ago. I removed the relay and the lights work fine again. Its not that big of a problem now that its summer and it starts fine in the morning, but I'd like to get it fixed before it gets cold again.
I found a place in Jhb, Gemini Parts, that sell them for R350. Dunno if its a timer as you said or genuine part. Seems as though they import toyota parts directly.

Thanks for the info so far.

A
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Hi Albert, welcome to the forum.

I would go with what Wade says, many electrical faults can be traced back to a lousy Earth connection.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

Cookie Monster
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2006 Hilux DC V6 Auto 4x4 Oldman Emu suspension

Post by Cookie Monster »

Hi Albert

Welcome to the forum :mrgreen: Its sounds like you have a bad earth try and get hold of a relay from another hilux and test it before you spend money on a new one I find the problem is still there. Removing the relay could just be removing the load on the system that is why it apears to be fine after removing.
2006 Hilux DC 4x4 4.0 V6 Old Man Emu suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank and a LA Sport Sump Guard, Natko railings with spade and high lift brackets, LA Sport high lift jack mounts, Powder coated Hilux Nudge Bar, Hella LED light bar, LED Work Light
AlbertH

Post by AlbertH »

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'll try to get hold of another relay to test first.

On another note, I'm off to Swaziland for a trip this weekend. Looking forward to it.

Cheers.
A

Return to “The Workshop”