Long range tank: 70L or 100L

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Long range tank: 70L or 100L

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

Hi there,

What other considerations are there when deciding between a 70L and a 100L long range tank?

The 100L tank will drop the spare wheel a bit more, couple of cm. Will this have a major effect on the break-over angle and approach angle?

Will the weight be a problem?

Thanks,
Jaco
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Re: Long range tank: 70L or 100L

Post by OOOOMS »

What other considerations are there when deciding between a 70L and a 100L long range tank?
100l v 70l yes, it will certainly drop your spare wheel if you fit a 100l. especilly if diving with the spare wheel underneath. If you are not too much into tail / track driving I would go for the 100l. But have it custom built. The chap at Silverton Radiators Kdp West can help you with that. :thumbup:
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Nelspruit
Vehicle: 1998 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: X52

Post by cprinsloo »

Jaco Versfeld wrote:Hi there,

The 100L tank will drop the spare wheel a bit more, couple of cm. Will this have a major effect on the break-over angle and approach angle?

Will the weight be a problem?

Thanks,
Jaco
The conventional LR tanks can be a problem depending what you plan to do. I've read of spare wheel being ripped off in Khaudom (high middelmannetjie), and I guess it can also be a problem during trails.

Also, all the weight is behind the rear wheel, which can maybe affect handling. Why not consider another standard tank on the left-hand side? You'll have to modify the exhaust a bit, but the tank will fill quicker.

C
1998 Hilux D/C Lexus VVTi
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

I have a 120L LR tank fitted to mine with a full size spare. It hangs lower than the towbar but according to me not much of a problem. So far so good.

I must admin that the 120L tank now only holds 115L due to it being dented after an extremely hard knock from below on the spare. The kind of know I am referring to is if you hoist the rear of your bakkie 1m of the ground and drop it so that the spare wheel hit something solid when the wheels touch the ground.
To God be the glory
Harold
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Howick
Vehicle: 1998 Hi-lux 2,4 S/cab (p); 1997 Hi-lux 2,4 D/cab (p)

Post by Harold »

Refering to the SFA Hilux:

Besides tank capacity, what do you do about the spare wheel?
The usual ratchet system for rising and lowering the spare wheel is a nightmare as it becomes clogged with dust and mud. Bad enough without an additional fuel tank, at least you can get to it with Q20 or silicon spray; but what the hell do you do when it is snugly under the additional fuel tank and will not budge?

The weight factor of having a spare wheel carrier at the back is also not an option..
It looks real macho and is probably OK provided that you stick to good roads; but you could have serious problems if you do long trips on ‘real’ bad roads.

The best option would be to modify the exhaust and fit another tank on the passenger side, opposite the existing tank.

There is more than enough space on the drivers side for a 100lt tank, (I know as I have one). No doubt the passenger side could also take a 100lt tank – not sure what you would do with the exhaust – maybe change your snorkel to an exhaust?
Harold (Greytown, KZN)
http://www.alib.co.za/hilux.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

CasKru wrote:I have a 120L LR tank fitted to mine with a full size spare. It hangs lower than the towbar but according to me not much of a problem. So far so good.

I must admin that the 120L tank now only holds 115L due to it being dented after an extremely hard knock from below on the spare. The kind of know I am referring to is if you hoist the rear of your bakkie 1m of the ground and drop it so that the spare wheel hit something solid when the wheels touch the ground.
I'll try and finr the trip report where I read of the spare being ripped off. I believe it is possible, some roads in Bots and Nam, driven with a fully laden vehicle, are really scary.

C
Last edited by CasKru on Sat May 08, 2010 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: update quote
cprinsloo
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers

Post by cprinsloo »

Harold wrote:Refering to the SFA Hilux:

Besides tank capacity, what do you do about the spare wheel?
The usual ratchet system for rising and lowering the spare wheel is a nightmare as it becomes clogged with dust and mud. Bad enough without an additional fuel tank, at least you can get to it with Q20 or silicon spray; but what the hell do you do when it is snugly under the additional fuel tank and will not budge?
Funny you should mention it, I had to saw through the last link of the chain once, not nice.....
Bandit
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Port alfred
Vehicle: 2008 Fortuner V6 4x4

Post by Bandit »

If you are going to have say 2 x 100lt tanks built and put one on either side of your vehicle, what material do you use to build them? Someone told me once that you don't build a petrol tank from stainless steel as it tends to sweat, then gets a layer of water on top of the fuel. Is this true? Aluminium would probably be a bit soft, especially if you hit a rock, and I would think you would need at least a 1.6mm steel plate for the weight of the fuel and for it to be robust. Any suggestions?
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

cprinsloo wrote:
CasKru wrote:I have a 120L LR tank fitted to mine with a full size spare. It hangs lower than the towbar but according to me not much of a problem. So far so good.

I'll try and finr the trip report where I read of the spare being ripped off. I believe it is possible, some roads in Bots and Nam, driven with a fully laden vehicle, are really scary.

C
Unfortunately I haven't been able to do a lot of over landing yet and cannot comment on their roads. I'm sure under the right circumstances anything is possible. Just saying it is unlikely to happen.

If I could I would remove the spare all together from below the vehicle. Chances are where you get the puncture it will almost be impossible to get to it and first need to drive a bit further or raise the bakkie first, get the spare, lower the bakkie, lift the bakkie at the flat wheel, swap the wheels, lower the bakkie, lift the back of the bakkie, store the flat in the spares place and lower the bakkie again.
To God be the glory
rydaar rocky
Town: piketberg
Vehicle: hilux 4x4 sfa
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by rydaar rocky »

Looking for a long range tank for my sfa surf, dont want a spare under the truck its a mission to get out, the rachet winch to hold the spare under there gets jammed up then its not easy to get out, then you got to jack up your truck higher to get under it and cut the last link in the chain. 2.5 hours to change a tyre did not impress SWAMBO who made lunch. Lunch was very good though.
Keep the spares on the roof rack now.
arnize2
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Wellington
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4X4

Post by arnize2 »

Het in my vorige bakkie die tenk bokant die noodwiel gehad. By verskeie geleenthede gekap en/of gesleep. Sal dit nie weer so doen nie!! Gaan nou die ander roete volg. So oor drie weke. :yahoo:

Return to “The Workshop”