Centre bearing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Centre bearing

Post by CasKru »

Maybe someone can help. What would be the symptoms of a failing centre bearing? What should I be looking / listening for?
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Re: Centre bearing

Post by Mr_B »

Cassie very simple to test... support the rear prop(else it will pop out), loosen the centre bearing's 2 securing bolts, drop the centre bearing so the housing can spin around without knocking anything, spin the bearing around, feel and listening for any vrot bearing noises like metal to metal grinding/dryness, or stiffness when rotating... check as well for perishing/cracks in the rubber housing around the bearing... check as well that the rubber hasn't collapsed... if needed... replace... else just put the 2 bolts back and tighten...

Mr B
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Thanks Bretton. Will try that this weekend. Got a weird sound emitting from the drive train somewhere. My first thought was that it is the pinion bearings as the diff had leaked oil and it took about 2 bottels of oil to fill. But this weekend felt for play at the diff and I can hardly move the prop from side to side where it goes into the diff. So it is either the centre bearing or the internals of the rear diff
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

I also had a strange noise coming from under the vehicle, Allan told me how to test the centre bearing, which I did(as I described above)... was fine... then we jacked the rear up and ran the drivetrain with the rear wheels off the ground... Dr Allan Venter got underneath with his stethoscope and investigated... turns out the rear diff pinion bearing is on it's way out... maybe you can do the same to diagnose?

Mr B
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mr_B wrote:I also had a strange noise coming from under the vehicle, Allan told me how to test the centre bearing, which I did(as I described above)... was fine... then we jacked the rear up and ran the drivetrain with the rear wheels off the ground... Dr Allan Venter got underneath with his stethoscope and investigated... turns out the rear diff pinion bearing is on it's way out... maybe you can do the same to diagnose?

Mr B
Shot.... will give that a go... first have to make a doctors appointment and nick his stethoscope when he is not watching :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Mr_B »

Sorry Cas... a normal doctors stethoscope won't do... you need a mechanic's stethoscope... so there goes the 'We can play doctor nurse after I've used it on the Lux'... idea... :twisted:

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mr_B wrote:Sorry Cas... a normal doctors stethoscope won't do... you need a mechanic's stethoscope... so there goes the 'We can play doctor nurse after I've used it on the Lux'... idea... :twisted:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Then I will have to use my multimillion rand stethoscope I've got (a 1m length of hosepipe :twisted: :twisted: )
To God be the glory
Shamrock
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 1998 Hilux 2.4 4x4

Post by Shamrock »

I think I have the same problem, Piet petoors also described the same problem a while back if I remember correctly, 4th and 5th gear between 2000 & 2500rpm. What does such a repair cost?
Wil it be easy/fast enough to do it myself?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Don't know what it would cost but got prices on the parts at McCarthy Toyota Midrand and they are as follow:
Pinion Bearings R244,51 & R546.43
Pinion Oil Seal R 115.56
Pinion R 969.11
Crown Wheel R2699.57 or R3110.68 depending on type of axle.

I think worst case it would probably be the two bearings and seal to be replaced. So you are looking at about R1K. I got a price on the centre bearing at some stage and if I remember correctly it was in the region of R1300.

You will be able to replace the bearings and seal your self if you have a bearing puller and a toolkit. The problem is setting the backlash
To God be the glory
Shamrock
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: 1998 Hilux 2.4 4x4

Post by Shamrock »

Well, I have access to all the tools I can dream of, thanks to my FIL. But how does one set the backlash? :?:
swartvark
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Gordons Bay
Vehicle: SFA HiLEX V8; Suzuki GSF1200s Bandit

Post by swartvark »

Die ouens by Trend Tyre op Springbok het my centre bearing vervang oppad terug uit die Richtersveld. Hulle het R790.00 gevra vir die hele job.
MUD........GLORIOUS MUD!!!!!

Your friendly VW salesperson......(with a passion for SFA Hiluxes)

NEED A CAR?
talk2tiaan@gmail.com
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

swartvark wrote:Die ouens by Trend Tyre op Springbok het my centre bearing vervang oppad terug uit die Richtersveld. Hulle het R790.00 gevra vir die hele job.
Daai is impressive... hoe het hulle die bearing vervang terwyl julle gery het? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry.. moes net. Weet jy watse maak bearing hulle gebruik het?
To God be the glory
LouisZ
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux D/C 1996

Post by LouisZ »

Hallo Cassie,

Kyk of die rubber geperish is, dan ook dieselfde soos ek jou gese het om by die diff te doen. Beweeg die propshaft direk lanks die centre bearing op en af en heen en weer. AS die meer is as >15mm is dit tyd.

Nog iets om te kyk na is as die propshaft le onder teen die centre bearing. Ook as jy sien die bearing en die rubber in die centre bearing is los van mekaar.

Luister; as jy geskuur en ook 'n vibrasie voel van die propshaft.

As die centre bearing reg is sal jy sien die prop loop reguit deur met so angle effens na die agter diff, dis normaal. Ook daar sal baie min beweging wees.

Het jy al een vervang?
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

4x4megaworldpta wrote:Hallo Cassie,

Kyk of die rubber geperish is, dan ook dieselfde soos ek jou gese het om by die diff te doen. Beweeg die propshaft direk lanks die centre bearing op en af en heen en weer. AS die meer is as >15mm is dit tyd.

Nog iets om te kyk na is as die propshaft le onder teen die centre bearing. Ook as jy sien die bearing en die rubber in die centre bearing is los van mekaar.

Luister; as jy geskuur en ook 'n vibrasie voel van die propshaft.

As die centre bearing reg is sal jy sien die prop loop reguit deur met so angle effens na die agter diff, dis normaal. Ook daar sal baie min beweging wees.

Het jy al een vervang?
Ek self het nog nooit een vervang nie en ek weet ook nie of die vorige eienaar al het nie. Ek dink ek gaan begin kyk by die centre bearing en dan na agter toe werk. As ek hom replace en die ander een was nog 90% fine, dan hou ek die ou een vir spare sou die nuwe een iewers in die veld kalf. Dan het ek darem 'n spare om tot by die huis te kom. :) Ek is nou maar ongelukkig eenmaal so. As iets vir my net begin suspect klink dan vervang ek eerder as om langs die pad te gaan staan en hom dan te probeer vervang. M.a.w. guilty until proven innocent :twisted: :twisted:
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Okay so toe vat ek nou my diff vir Louis om die bearings en seel te vervang en toe bel hy my so paar minute terug. Die crown wheel en pinion het ook seer gekry :(
To God be the glory
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

I know where you can get a C&P with a ratio of 4.1... but unfortunately that is not the ratio that you want.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Family_Dog wrote:I know where you can get a C&P with a ratio of 4.1... but unfortunately that is not the ratio that you want.

-F_D
Actually though of that :lol:

Toyota Midrand can only get in 21 days. Toyota in Benoni might be able to get me some by Monday. I'll probably pop in at Gemini on Saturday and see what they've got.
To God be the glory
Vlak vark
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Phalaborwa
Vehicle: 1995 hilux D/c 4x4 Legend 25 Kzt with top mounted intercooler. long range tank. hankook dynapro duel battery system

Post by Vlak vark »

Hi Cassie.

Het my lux se senter bearing vervang 2 weke terug. dit is baie vinning. die langste is om die bout op die propshaft los te maak. die res maklik. pasop net om die propshaft nie ovaal tedruk in die weis nie. die bearing het R460 by Midas in phalaborwa gekos. wat ek wel gedoen het om meer suport op die beaing te sit, het ek van die gate toegeplak en die holte tussen die bearing en die housing met sililon ingespuit wat dan die rubber suport.
One life, one dream, one toyota

Return to “The Workshop”