3rz oil usage

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
mandevu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: polokwane
Vehicle: hilux

3rz oil usage

Post by mandevu »

hi guys

my 99' 2700i is using oil.
i did a compression test on all cillinders dry and then wet ... dry had an avg of +- 8 bar and wet +- 10 bar :thumbup:
when i took out the plugs there was oil on top of the white "plastic" areas :?: :!:
it does not smoke at all ...

can someone please tell me if i bought a dud 4 weeks ago.. :cry: :cry:

a very worried hilux lover/owner
ImageImageImageImage
as dit nie n toyota is nie........... dan is ek nie verslaaf nie
Opsmedic
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2001 Hilux KZ TE 4x4 D/C and Suzuki SJ413
Club VHF Licence: HC 308

Re: 3rz oil usage

Post by Opsmedic »

Hi Ruhan

Know the feeling i bought a KZTE couple of weeks ago and have been topping up with a pint of oil per week, no smoking at all no power loss eventually had a stern talk to the garage where i bought it from then took it to the local Toyota agent and they found the rings have gone. The mechanic noticed smoke coming from the dipstick pipe when he checked the oil and when he took the oil cap even worse. They now sorting it out
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Post by JohanM »

mandevu wrote:my 99' 2700i is using oil.
i did a compression test on all cillinders dry and then wet ... dry had an avg of +- 8 bar and wet +- 10 bar :thumbup:
when i took out the plugs there was oil on top of the white "plastic" areas :?: :!:
Ruhan,

I understand that the plugs was taken out with the oil on them before you did a wet compression test??? reason why i say that is because a lot of people do the wet test, fit the plugs and then drive around and then take the plugs out again. Also bear in mind that oil do sometimes manage to get past the seals and rings. This is very prominent in a engine that is driven hard with higher mileage on.

Also oil on the plug does not always mean that the rings have gone. It can be that the valve stem seals are starting to wear and cause oil to bypass..and then leak back into the combustion chamber from the shims/lifters side of the cylinderhead.

I would recommend that you have the vehicle checked out by the dealer (toyota). What oil consumption are you getting on a 1000 km's?
Johan Marais
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Are you sure it was oil on the white porcelain area of the plug and not carbon?

Mine uses about 500ml of oil on 10,000km
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
mandevu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mandevu »

thanks for the replies

it was defenitly oil on the white sections of the plugs

the oil usage was 500ml per 1000 km but it seems to be getting better ... checked tonight after about 700 km and seems to be ok the oil is even clean ....

i know that 500ml per 1000km is within spec of toyota but in the family there are 4 of these and mine is the only one that uses oil...i hate it...

cheers
ImageImageImageImage
Spartan
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Vanderbijlpark
Vehicle: 98 LTD Hilux 4x4 SFA, 2JZ GE L6 VVT-i 3.0i, Bilstein shox, OME and a Land Cruiser 79 series

Post by Spartan »

Koop vir jou n blik Bardhal :wink2:
MOBILITATE VINCERE
Spartan
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
mandevu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mandevu »

jaco

wat doen dit???
ImageImageImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ruhan, as dit wel olie op die wit gedeelte van die vonkprop was, is dit nie dalk net die tappet cover gasket wat lek nie. Omdat daardie vonkproppe deur die tappet cover gaan moet hy seker 'n ronde seel aan die onderkant van elke gat he, as daai seel lek gaan die olie mos by die prop area ingaan.
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
mandevu
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by mandevu »

pieter

ek glo dit is 10 teen een wat die probleem is

enige idee wat so gascet sal kos?
ImageImageImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Geen idee, maar my duimsuig raaiskoot sal wees dat jy 'n hele head gasket set (wat tappet cover gasket insluit) by Midas gaan kan koop vir minders as wat Toyota jou net vir die tappet cover gasket gaan vra. So bel maar rond en vind eers pryse uit. Jy kan nie fout maak met 'n Payen gasket van enige parte winkel.
Okkie Van Wyk
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Middelburg
Vehicle: 2011 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C
Club VHF Licence: N019

Post by Okkie Van Wyk »

Hi julle
Ek het ook daai probleem ...geen rook nie nat plugs nie maar my 2.7 gebruik ook olie, ek kry ook oli aan die bo kant van die plug en nou vermoed ek dat dit beslis die tappet cover gasket moet wees .
Met n vorige diens het een plug selfs vas gesit in die olie wat al hard geword het bo om die plug.

ek hou die posts dop met n valk oog
123 WEG MP
2011 Hilux Vigo 3.0 D4D D/C
VENI VICI VIDI
CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Ek het nog nooit een van die se tappet covers afgehaal nie, maar dit maak sin dat aan die onderkant van die gat waar die plug in is moet daar 'n ronde seel wees wat hom daar seel. Ek dink die ou 18R corrola se enjin was so gewees en die moet seker dieselle wees.

Dit behoort glad nie moeilik te wees om die gaskets te vervang nie, mens moet net eers uitvind of mense dit los in die hande kan kry.

Return to “The Workshop”