2.7 IFS Alternator???

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

2.7 IFS Alternator???

Post by pietpetoors »

This weekend after hitting one of the dunes I heard that something at the engine sounded like it was running dry. The noise went away a bit later. After hitting another dune I heard the sound again. It sounds as if it comes from the Alternator.

On inspection I found that the alternator fitted to the bakkie is completely open. I checked one of the KZTE's and it is a similar concept.

So when you hit a dune, the sand blows up, the viscous fan force it through the radiator into the engine compartment and because the alternator is completely open all the sand goes into the alternator.

I read in one of the old WegRy articles about guys who did the Luderitz/Walvis trip and the 2.7's alternator packed up on the trip. No wonder it packed up.

My question is: Is there another type of alternator one can fit, one that looks like those old alternators that was closed on the side and had a little fan on the pulley?
Below are two pics. The first is the alternator the second is some sand which was still laying on top of the inlet manifold when I arrived home. This shows how many sand went into the engine compartment.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Re: 2.7 IFS Alternator???

Post by BenHur »

Those are the Nippon denzo altenators

When I compared the 7MGE engines the Local Cressida engines had the "closed body" Lucas(or Bosch - can't remember which one) alternators like the ones you referred to in your post where as the Supra engines had the open Denso one like you now have.

How about making a deflection plate to keep the sand out?
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

Thanks Bennie, I am planning to sommer replace the alternator bearings this week while the old lady is in Nam and I do not have to use the bakkie. I will then investigate a deflection plate. But since this alternator has no fan on like the closed units, wont it then also deflect the air away from the alternator causing it to run hot?
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
BenHur
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '96 D/C Raider

Post by BenHur »

You mos a clever oke engineer enol design something smart :wink: But ja I think you are right simply closing it off will cause over heating so the deflection plates should not stop the hot air from escaping
JBurger
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: ......
Vehicle: .....

Post by JBurger »

Pieter, don't you think a bash plate below the nose will sort the problem? My KZ has the intercooler fitted under the nose and I do not seem to have the problem with sand in the alternator. Washed the motor this morning and did not see much sand in the alternator region.
Image ImageImage
pietpetoors

Post by pietpetoors »

There is a bash plate under the vehicle and your alternator (or your bakkie's :D ) sits on the other side of the engine and if I remember correctly it is fitted a bit lower than mine.

Return to “The Workshop”