Which radiator for Ford V6 convertion

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenfell
Vehicle: HILUX 2.8 D DC

Which radiator for Ford V6 convertion

Post by jan30 »

I am strugling with my cooling system in the ford V6 Motor. I have redone the motor just now and everything is wonderfull but i did a test on the motor to make sure the cooling system is fine.

I measured the heat of the water going in and then going out and it made a 10degree difference without the fan on which is fine, :thumbup: but when you rev it up to 3 000rmp the beat at top and bottom is the same :think: which is telling me either my waterpump is too strong or the cores in my radiator is too big and the water is flowing through too fast and dont get time to cool down.

Anyone know what radiator will work or what i can do? :wth:

I was also thinking to put a restriction in the waterline to see if i can slow down the flow of the water. Anyone know if that will help?
IF YOU EVER FEEL TO TIRED TO CONTINUE, JUST DO IT ON YOU KNEES
Boland4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plattekloof
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 Auto

Re: Which radiator for Ford V6 convertion

Post by Boland4x4 »

Hallo Jan

Het jy hierdie toets gedoen terwyl die voertuig nie beweeg het nie? As jy sê die fan het nie geloop nie + die voertuig het nie beweeg nie dan gaan 'n radiator nie baie verkoeling bied nie.......jy het dan geen konveksie warmteoordrag nie, slegs 'n bietjie straling -en konduksie warmteoodrag. Om die eksperiment te doen met die fan aan, of teen spoed sal meer sin maak.

Hoop dit help
No mods :disgust:
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Ok sorry Boland i didnt explain well enough the 10 degree difference was without the fan and with the fan there was an ekstra 4 degree difference so in total there was a 14 degree difference between top and bottom, but as soon as i rev it with the fan on there is no noticeable difference in the water temp. Hence my conclusion it is flowing too fast through the radiator. :wth: :wth:

I also fitted a 525 Bmw electric fan fitted and sealed in an cowling so the fan is surely strong enough :thumbup: :thumbup:
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

I fitted the Hilux Kzte radiator now the Bakkie is running about 90degree is that normal en will it stay there if i engage LR? :silent:

I must also admit the 90 degrees is measured by a midas cheap heat guage. My Hilux heatguage stay right in the middle but i dont know if i can trust the Hilux heatguage since its not a Hilux engine,but im using a hilux heatgauge sensor :shock:

Some advice will be greatly appreciated :thumbup: :thumbup:
Boland4x4
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Plattekloof
Vehicle: 2005 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4 Auto

Post by Boland4x4 »

I have a Lexus V8 in my bakkie and measuring 70degC after the radiator, thus cooled. Also running a KZTE radiator. I have the standard Lexus thermostat in, check what your thermostat is rated at, that should be close to your coolant temperature before cooling.
No mods :disgust:
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

Sorry man i littlebit technically challenged what do you mean about the thermostat?
I drilled a hole in mine to keep the restriction but to keep the water constantly flowing. :shock:
TOYOTA 4YEFI
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Land Cruisr 80

Post by TOYOTA 4YEFI »

It is not always a good idea to drill a hole in your thermostat because you want the hot water in the radiator to cool down before you let in the next load of hot water, what happens in my expierence is that with a hole on the thermostat or even no thermostat makes the whole system heat up after a while. Here is a few things you can also check
1) is the sump plate fitted
2) how big is the gap between the fan and the front of the engine
3) Hold a piece of paper (news paper or A3 size) infront of grille while fan is running the paper should almost stay there by itself otherwise there is not enough flow through the radiator
bosjakkals
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harrismith
Vehicle: 97 Hilux SFA ,31 BF's, Bullbar,Warn winch, Hunting frame, 2 spare wheels, Long range tank, High lift jack, Gearmax rear locker diff, Suspension unknown but very soft)

Post by bosjakkals »

Fit a proper thermostat (Agents)- (Ford)

Is your fan on a toggle switch or on a thermal switch?

I know of good results on the D4D radiators, apparently they are cheap brand new.
03 - Cruiser 105 GX
97 - Hilux 2.4 D/C -
05 - Pajero 3.2 DID SWB ( Ma se kar)
01-Prado 3.0 d (Gesien -Geniet - GEROL))
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

My fan is on a toggle switch and on heat switch on the top water pipe. As soon as i engage LR i automatically want to put the fan on. :mrgreen:
jan30
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by jan30 »

TOYOTA 4YEFI wrote:It is not always a good idea to drill a hole in your thermostat because you want the hot water in the radiator to cool down before you let in the next load of hot water, what happens in my expierence is that with a hole on the thermostat or even no thermostat makes the whole system heat up after a while. Here is a few things you can also check
1) is the sump plate fitted
2) how big is the gap between the fan and the front of the engine
3) Hold a piece of paper (news paper or A3 size) infront of grille while fan is running the paper should almost stay there by itself otherwise there is not enough flow through the radiator
The fan is integrated to my old cowling and sealed with silicone so there is only one place where the air can go.
this fan hold a piece of cartbord to the grill as they say in afrikaans die fan suig 'n padda deur 'n pyp :thumbup:

Return to “The Workshop”