Problems filling up my SFA's long range diesel tank ??

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kliprivier
Vehicle: Previous Luxes:1998 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.8TD DC 4x4, 2 x 2.8D single cabs, 3.0 DE, 3.0 d4d x 3, 4.0 V6 Current : 2.8 GD6 4x4 D cab

Problems filling up my SFA's long range diesel tank ??

Post by TJL »

Hi All, hope this post finds all well, please help with possible causes and solutions on filling my long range tank. I bought the vehicle with the tank fitted - apparently a 50liter added to the std 80 ltr tank, but whether it's empty, half or full it takes diesel VERY slowly, with lot's of bursts coming back out and landing on the paving!! Could using a siphon have buggered something inside (had to help someone a while back), it was slow before but it seems even slower now - I get a lot of angry looks when someone has to wait 25-30 minutes for me to fill my guzzler's 130 liters at the filling stations!! Please help!! :oops: :x :thumbdown:

Regards

Theuns
george
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Velddrif
Vehicle: Triton 3.5l V6
Club VHF Licence: HC107

Re: Problems filling up my SFA's long range diesel tank ??

Post by george »

It sounds like you have a air lock.Your breather on the second tank must be blocked.It could be that the system was not working before you bought it and even an additional breather is required.On my extra plastic tank I have 3x breather holes.
"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"
Maddoglips
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: P.E.
Vehicle: Raider 2.2 4x4; Mikem 50mm raised suspension, long range tank, Monroe gasses all round.

Post by Maddoglips »

Hi M8

From what you describe, it sounds like you have no or a blocked breather on the long range tank.

When filling, the air inside is trapped and that's why you getting the bursts of diesel every now and then. Climb under and check if there is a breather pipe and check if it is open, they sometimes have a 1 way valve in line which could be blocked.

Also, check that you maybe don't have a kinked, squashed filler pipe causing the diesel to fill slower.

I would probs put money on the first though.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

Zane
It's better to Burn Out then Fade Away.
JJBotes
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

I have the same problem, but it’s still on my “to-do” list to check it out.
:thumbup:
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Vehicle: Previous Luxes:1998 Toyota Hilux SFA 2.8TD DC 4x4, 2 x 2.8D single cabs, 3.0 DE, 3.0 d4d x 3, 4.0 V6 Current : 2.8 GD6 4x4 D cab

Post by TJL »

Thanks Guys, I will report as soon as i have checcked the breather pipes, time time time!! :aggresive:
OOOOMS
Top Web Wheeler
Top Web Wheeler

Post by OOOOMS »

My SFA did the same thing, breather pipe was faulty on aux tank.

What helped short term, was to fill up the aux tank first and then the secondary tank.
SuidWes
Town: Durbanville
Vehicle: Prado 120 VX
Club VHF Licence: B35

Post by SuidWes »

Yip, had the same issue.

Also fill the aux tank first as a workaround...
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away - George Carlin
Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

:think: It sounds like your breather pipe has a problem :thumbdown: I also take a long time to fill the LR tank, but my filler pipe has to be re-routed to achive a quicker fill-up. This is only possible if i remove the load bin and do it myself, But But But .... Myself must find the TIME first :cry:
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
TJL
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by TJL »

Hi All - so the problem stopped - don't know how don't know why :problem: It is now as it used to be - still slow when it starts running over to the extra tank, but at least the first 80L goes as normal, my guess - as was said above that is was :crazy: the breather pipe which somehow unblocked itself, I am gratefull for whatever the reason anyway as it's no fun taking half an hour to fill my LUX :beg: . Just a note - once a attendant at one of the garages pushed the filling mechanism firm against the diesel intake and just forced the diesel and air until it stopped again (kickback), this might have "air blowed" whatever was is the way of the tanks breathing, just watch out as this might blow back and leave you, the attendant and half the garage full of diesel or petrol - did not happen to me :lol: but I feared that happening!!

Return to “The Workshop”