Cooling/ Radiator questions SFA 4Y

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Meyerton
Vehicle: Prado 120 4.0 V6
Club VHF Licence: HC126

Cooling/ Radiator questions SFA 4Y

Post by JohanM »

I'm currently looking at upgrading my Radiator of my 4Y and also looking at uprating the air con at the same time.

Now questions are:

I'm running currently a 2 core Radiator Copper (OE) Toyota part.

Do I replace the radiator with an 3 core (2.4D Hilux 2L2 Motor) Aluminium Radiator

or

Do I keep the standard copper radiator and have it re-cored to 3 core copper??

Keeping in mind that I do use the Air-con almost nonstop during summer even when driving off road, i'm looking at having the motor cooled down as effeccient as possible under very hot and harsh conditions. I do not have a overheating problem on my Hilux, but I have noticed at some stages the cooling system is being pushed to the limit which i want to avoid at all cost.
Johan Marais
RooiLux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria-Mayville
Vehicle: 1992 2.2-EFI Hilux 4x4 with Maus conversion,freeflow,Rear Electric Locker'2005 BMW 320i, 2015 Hilux 3d4d dc 4x4

Re: Cooling/ Radiator questions SFA 4Y

Post by RooiLux »

JohanM wrote:I'm currently looking at upgrading my Radiator of my 4Y and also looking at uprating the air con at the same time.

Now questions are:

I'm running currently a 2 core Radiator Copper (OE) Toyota part.

Do I replace the radiator with an 3 core (2.4D Hilux 2L2 Motor) Aluminium Radiator

or

Do I keep the standard copper radiator and have it re-cored to 3 core copper??

Keeping in mind that I do use the Air-con almost nonstop during summer even when driving off road, i'm looking at having the motor cooled down as effeccient as possible under very hot and harsh conditions. I do not have a overheating problem on my Hilux, but I have noticed at some stages the cooling system is being pushed to the limit which i want to avoid at all cost.
So sit ek met dieselfde vraag so sal like om die antwoorde daarop te sien.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Heat dissipation with aluminium is much (30%+) better than copper. That alone should give you an indication. Since fitting the alu radiator in Kaspaas, the temp guage stabilised so much I thought it was stuck down with glue. :shock: :shock:

I am not exactly sure which radiator you should use Johan, as long as it is alu. I know Hoppy uses the KZTE radiator but then your SFA would need a body lift, as it will stick out below the front cross member. That was what we planned on using in Kaspaas, problem is Kaspaas does not have a body lift.. and there was no body lift on the cards either.. so we fitted a BMW 328 radiator. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Thanks for the heads up Thys.

Seems like Alum is the way to go. I've done a search on this forum and found Allan to be using the 3 core Hilux Radiator from the 2.4D for the 4Y. So I will go and get one and replace the top pipe and test it then from there to see how it performs.
Johan Marais
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Was die 328 se radiator 'n maklikke fit?
To God be the glory
RooiLux
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria-Mayville
Vehicle: 1992 2.2-EFI Hilux 4x4 with Maus conversion,freeflow,Rear Electric Locker'2005 BMW 320i, 2015 Hilux 3d4d dc 4x4

Post by RooiLux »

CasKru wrote:Was die 328 se radiator 'n maklikke fit?
Thys,Prys op so radiator asb man!As jy kan onthou wat hy geprys het
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Ek het oorgegaan na n 2.7 alu radiator en is gelukkig sover. Staan jy voor die engin sit die boonste pyp links bo en regs onder. Die KZTE se pype is omgedraai as ek reg onthou. Nog n punt om te onthou is dat die koper een herstel kan word en die alu blykbaar nie. In dieselfde asem het ek gehoor daar is n produk vir herstelwerk op die alu, maar soek nog. As iemand dalk inligting het, asb
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:Ek het oorgegaan na n 2.7 alu radiator en is gelukkig sover. Staan jy voor die engin sit die boonste pyp links bo en regs onder. Die KZTE se pype is omgedraai as ek reg onthou. Nog n punt om te onthou is dat die koper een herstel kan word en die alu blykbaar nie. In dieselfde asem het ek gehoor daar is n produk vir herstelwerk op die alu, maar soek nog. As iemand dalk inligting het, asb
Wat het jy betaal en waar het jy gekoop as ek mag vra
To God be the glory
ThysdJ
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

CasKru wrote:Was die 328 se radiator 'n maklikke fit?
Op Kaspaas ja, want ons kon bietjie modifaai.. maar ek weet nie hoe die configurasie van die 22R se pype is nie. Maar die 2.7 en KZ sinne behoort lekker te pas.
RooiLux wrote:Thys,Prys op so radiator asb man!As jy kan onthou wat hy geprys het
Daai gaan ek jok as ek jou se, dit was meer as 3 jaar gelede.. Ek dink amper dit was nie eers R1000 nie.... Kom ons hoor by Hoppy..
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

JohanM wrote:Thanks for the heads up Thys.

Seems like Alum is the way to go. I've done a search on this forum and found Allan to be using the 3 core Hilux Radiator from the 2.4D for the 4Y. So I will go and get one and replace the top pipe and test it then from there to see how it performs.
The alu radiator should work just fine and without any need for modifications makes it a logical choice. What you can do to improve motor cooling as well as air con performance is to fit an electric fan in front of the air-con radiator (condenser). The fan from a Merc W123 series fits beautifully in that tight space ... like it was designed for it. Connect it so that it only kicks in when the air-con compressor is running. You will be surprised at the improvement .... you might even find that the evaporator ices up as I often did. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
doppies
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: keetmanshoop
Vehicle: toyota , land rover
Club VHF Licence: no

Post by doppies »

I fit a 3 core 2.4 D price = 2400. Cooling, no problem. On my other hilux I fit a aluminium radiator price= 800 . Cooling no problem. Conclusion, in future I bay 3 alu rads for the price of one copper.
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Plek se naam is Intercity Paint and Panel in Souter Str Pta Wes 0123276133. Item code RA0084
2.0/2.7 Manual petrol rad 98-05 R849.30 (ingesluit).
Hoop jy kom reg.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:Plek se naam is Intercity Paint and Panel in Souter Str Pta Wes 0123276133. Item code RA0084
Hoop jy kom reg.
Dankie
To God be the glory
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

I had a few discussions yesterday with Allan (Hoppy) about the Alu radiator and he said that his Luxter is running the same radiator and that it is more than enough to keep the engine cool and happy.

I picked one up at Silvertons @ R1140-00 including vat and a 12 month guarantee. Bought the Radiator pipe so next week I will do the fitment of it. New Thermostat and antifreeze is on ordered and will pick it up on Monday when im back @ home.

The Radiator hose is RH 7148. On the system is shows as being a Merc 220 engine radiator hose. SO if they dont have the code to order it look it up under that as I know sometimes its difficult to find the correct one. This pipe is only for the 4Y engine. Allan should be able to assist with the correct no for the 22R engines.

Most 4Y & 22R hilux'es that does have the aircon fitted is prone to being more "heat/airflow sensitive" over the radiator because the Radiator is a 2 core copper which is just or just not big enough depending on circumstances.

Also bearing in mind the reason why I changed mine is because of EFI I am able to run the engine leaner than the carb spec air fuel ratio to optimise performance and economy, but by doing so the engine does run hotter.

Also having a modded 4Y engine that produces more HP than standard it also creates more heat because more power = more energy = more heat. So the Standard radiator will be sufficient to cope with normal (perfect) conditions all the time but when the conditions change the radiator will start showing up as one of the weakest links.

I will do a nice technical DIY writeup on how to fit it to the 4Y as there is some small changes to be made to fit everything perfectly.

Also one of the main reasons why im changing and upgrading the radiator is because next up is the aircon to be upgraded and made as cool as possible and when that is done, i will be using the aircon nonstop basically in all conditions as I do enjoy having that cool luxury in my vehicle and is much appreciated when it is so hot outside when away on travelling.
Mud Dog wrote:What you can do to improve motor cooling as well as air con performance is to fit an electric fan in front of the air-con radiator (condenser). The fan from a Merc W123 series fits beautifully in that tight space ... like it was designed for it. Connect it so that it only kicks in when the air-con compressor is running. You will be surprised at the improvement .... you might even find that the evaporator ices up as I often did. ;-)
ANdy thanks for the heads up on the fan as I was planning on doing that but havent decided what will fit there in the front behind the grill.

I will go parts hunting today for that Fan motor.
Johan Marais
cheetah
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux d/c 2.2

Post by cheetah »

Johan, ek het n elektriese waaier voor vir die aircon, met n swtch wat ek apart kan aktiveer as die naald miskien styg. Lyk my die 2-core radiator gee net genoeg verkoeling, as jou termostaat en anti freeze reg is.
Die 3- core is meer as voldoende. Aluminium radiater is seker die rigting om te gaan!
GeorgeJvR
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Louis Trichardt
Vehicle: 2008 Prado 4.0 V6, 1989 SFA S/C 2.2 1998 SFA LTD 22RE

Post by GeorgeJvR »

En daar besluit my radiator ook hy soek aandag :twisted: :evil:
Wanneer gaan ek by die EFI uitkom :cry:
To Buy and sell a vehicle is my hobby
Make a deal that no one else thought possible is my aim

Kom wat wil ek bly 'n Bul!
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Post by Scooter »

Johan, could you give me a part number for the radiator as well please.

As of last night my rad decided it didn't like keeping water and would share it with the road. At first I didn't notice anything but on doing a pressure test at home, the radiator is most definately leaking.

I assume the need for the new hose is because the inlet/outlet is on the wrong side? Does it not interfere with anything?

And to think i was going to upgrade the aircon before decembers Kruger trip but cooling the motor is far more important right now :evil:
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

The part no at Silvertons for the Alu radiator that I bought is : 8MK 376 749 664. :thumbup:
Johan Marais
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Just to give a bit more info on the radiators that guys have fitted according to Silveton.

1) The 2.4 Aluminium rad is the thickest @ 42mm and needs a new pipe for the top as the plumbing is on the left not the right as well as mods for mounting the cowling and radiator itself. They tell me this is the thickest rad they make.

2) The 2.2 4Y copper rad is in the middle @ 32mm, and fits perfectly :mrgreen: with no modification.

3) The 2.7 Aluminium rad is the thinnest @ 26mm and needs mods for mounting the cowling and radiator, but the plumbing is on the correct side thus not needing a new hose but it is much thinner.

I guess the 2.7 is a good match to the old copper one since alu cools better. But for extra cooling the 2.4 rad is the way to go.

Just to add, I too have bought the 2.4 rad for xtra cooling :thumbup: and hopefully fittment will go smoothly once I can get started.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Scooter wrote:Just to give a bit more info on the radiators that guys have fitted according to Silveton.

1) The 2.4 Aluminium rad is the thickest @ 42mm and needs a new pipe for the top as the plumbing is on the left not the right as well as mods for mounting the cowling and radiator itself. They tell me this is the thickest rad they make.

2) The 2.2 4Y copper rad is in the middle @ 32mm, and fits perfectly :mrgreen: with no modification.

3) The 2.7 Aluminium rad is the thinnest @ 26mm and needs mods for mounting the cowling and radiator, but the plumbing is on the correct side thus not needing a new hose but it is much thinner.

I guess the 2.7 is a good match to the old copper one since alu cools better. But for extra cooling the 2.4 rad is the way to go.

Just to add, I too have bought the 2.4 rad for xtra cooling :thumbup: and hopefully fittment will go smoothly once I can get started.
How much did they charge you for the 2.4 radiator and is it 3 core or still 2 core?
To God be the glory
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Bulletjie-3 wrote:Plek se naam is Intercity Paint and Panel in Souter Str Pta Wes 0123276133. Item code RA0084
Hoop jy kom reg.
Hulle het 'n tak in Springs ook :thumbup:
Intercity Paint And Panel (Pty) Ltd
South Main Reef Road, Springs 1559, South Africa
To God be the glory
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

CasKru wrote:
Scooter wrote:Just to give a bit more info on the radiators that guys have fitted according to Silveton.

How much did they charge you for the 2.4 radiator and is it 3 core or still 2 core?
Cassie die 2.4 Radiator is n 2 core en myne was R 1140.00 gewees. My 4Y se heatgauge le baie laer as voor die change, en jy kan voel aan die pype hoe groot die verskil is in effeciency.
Johan Marais
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

JohanM wrote:
CasKru wrote:

Cassie die 2.4 Radiator is n 2 core en myne was R 1140.00 gewees. My 4Y se heatgauge le baie laer as voor die change, en jy kan voel aan die pype hoe groot die verskil is in effeciency.
So dit sal beter wees om die 2.7 sin te kry
To God be the glory
JohanM
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by JohanM »

Cassie, die 2.7 sal nie die beter opsie wees nie omdat sy core dunner is as die diesel se core so jou verkoeling sal dalk nie so lekker byhou in uiterste toestande nie. Ook omdat hy in size baie groter as die SFA radiator is gaan jy dalk ma erg sukkel om hom te fit sonder om te sny. Die hoogte onder die bonnet tot by die cross member gaan dalk nie genoeg wees nie, dan steek hy onder uit en sal jy sonder die splash tray moet ry.
Johan Marais
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Fitted my new rad this weekend.

All went well, thanks to Johan for the bits of advice he gave :thumbup:

Now just for a pressure test, then drain and fill with anti freeze, then bobs your uncle :D:
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Scooter wrote:... then bobs your uncle :D:
Yes, but... snip snip... and bobs your aunty! :twisted:
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

IMPORTANT!!!
Do not fill more anti-freeze than the dilution rate that's recommended .... It lowers the boiling point again after a certain concentration. Although it will still inhibit corrosion and lubricate your water pump, the lowering of the boiling point is most undesirable and can lead to overheating issues!!!

I only found this out recently.

In fact, a far better product is the age old Aqua-Clear if you can get it. You cannot overdose on aqua-Clear and it does not require replacement each year. Furthermore, tests show that it lubricates the pump as well as anti-freeze but is far more corrosion inhibitive. A steel nail left in Aqua-Clear comes out shiny new after a year, whereas it still rusts in anti-freeze.

Makes you think!!!

I am going to drain all my radiators and re-do with Aqua-Clear at the earliest opportunity!

;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:IMPORTANT!!!
Do not fill more anti-freeze than the dilution rate that's recommended .... It lowers the boiling point again after a certain concentration. Although it will still inhibit corrosion and lubricate your water pump, the lowering of the boiling point is most undesirable and can lead to overheating issues!!!

In fact, a far better product is the age old Aqua-Clear if you can get it. You cannot overdose on aqua-Clear and it does not require replacement each year. Furthermore, tests show that it lubricates the pump as well as anti-freeze but is far more corrosion inhibitive. A steel nail left in Aqua-Clear comes out shiny new after a year, whereas it still rusts in anti-freeze.

Makes you think!!!

I am going to drain all my radiators and re-do with Aqua-Clear at the earliest opportunity!

;-)
And it's for this reason why I only fill with Toyota premixed coolant / antifreeze. The added benefit is it also inhibits rust. And on top of that, should you have a leak in your cooling system, it leaves a clear mark where ever it leaks out making it much easier to spot the problem.
To God be the glory
Ou vale1
Town: Heidelberg
Vehicle: Hilux 2.5 D4D

Post by Ou vale1 »

Cassie die 2.4 Radiator is n 2 core en myne was R 1140.00 gewees. My 4Y se heatgauge le baie laer as voor die change, en jy kan voel aan die pype hoe groot die verskil is in effeciency.[/quote]

Johan, jy moet versigtig wees om nie die engine te koud te laat loop nie, dit neem baie efficiency weg en beinvloed ook die smering. Engines word ontwerp om max efficiency te bereik teen sekere temperature, soms kan net die verkeerde radiator cap probleme veroorsaak.

Beste pryse op Radiators is by Commercial Auto Spares, vra my ek het deur 'n hele paar gegaan om Ou vale te probeer koud hou.
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Makes you think!!!

;-)
Andy

Ek betwyfel nie die stelling wat jy maak met die Aqua-Clear produk waarvan jy melding maak nie.Wat ek wel bevraagteken is as die produk so goed is ,hoekom gebruik motor vervaardigers dit nie in hulle engines vandag nie.

Ek onthou n mens het altyd by die spares winkels die 2 botteltjies met n spyker gesien.Die een botteljie se water was bruin van die spyker wat geroes het terwyl die ander botteltjie helder skoon was met die spyker nog blink daar binne.Ek het dit lank laas gesien.Wonder of dit dieselfde produk is waarvan jy praat?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Lollie wrote:

Makes you think!!!

;-)
Andy

Ek betwyfel nie die stelling wat jy maak met die Aqua-Clear produk waarvan jy melding maak nie.Wat ek wel bevraagteken is as die produk so goed is ,hoekom gebruik motor vervaardigers dit nie in hulle engines vandag nie.

Ek onthou n mens het altyd by die spares winkels die 2 botteltjies met n spyker gesien.Die een botteljie se water was bruin van die spyker wat geroes het terwyl die ander botteltjie helder skoon was met die spyker nog blink daar binne.Ek het dit lank laas gesien.Wonder of dit dieselfde produk is waarvan jy praat?
Ja Dawie, dis hy! So ver ek kan bevestig, werk dit net so goed as anti-freeze in alle opsigte, maar die voordeel is dat jy nie kan overdose soos met anti-freeze nie en verder vehoed dit roes en korrosie beter as anti-freeze.

Hoekom dit nie meer so baie gebruik word nie of nie meer deur motor vervaardigers deesdae aanbeveel is, weet ek nie. Wie weet, miskien was daar êrens 'n "business deal" / ooreenkoms met die oorsproklikke vevaardigers van anti-freeze ... miskien die 'power of advertising' .... kan nie sê nie, maar na my mening is dit 'n beter produk om te gebruik.

Sal laat weet of ek enige probleme daarmee ondervind. :D:

Die hoof rede vir my post was egter om versigtig te wees met anti-freeze dat jy die regte hoeveelheid ingooi vir die kapasiteit van jou verkoeling sisteem, en nie 'over-dose' nie.

;-)

CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Mud Dog wrote:
Lollie wrote:

Makes you think!!!

;-)
Andy

Ja Dawie, dis hy! So ver ek kan bevestig, werk dit net so goed as anti-freeze in alle opsigte, maar die voordeel is dat jy nie kan overdose soos met anti-freeze nie en verder vehoed dit roes en korrosie beter as anti-freeze.

Hoekom dit nie meer so baie gebruik word nie of nie meer deur motor vervaardigers deesdae aanbeveel is, weet ek nie. Wie weet, miskien was daar êrens 'n "business deal" / ooreenkoms met die oorsproklikke vevaardigers van anti-freeze ... miskien die 'power of advertising' .... kan nie sê nie, maar na my mening is dit 'n beter produk om te gebruik.

Sal laat weet of ek enige probleme daarmee ondervind. :D:

Die hoof rede vir my post was egter om versigtig te wees met anti-freeze dat jy die regte hoeveelheid ingooi vir die kapasiteit van jou verkoeling sisteem, en nie 'over-dose' nie.

;-)
And that's exactly the reason why Toyota's premixed coolant makes the most sense as you cannot overdose :thumbup:
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Andy

Ek was toevallig vandag by Midas.Hulle hou nog die aqau-clear aan Dit kos R28.00 n botteltjie
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Lollie wrote:Andy

Ek was toevallig vandag by Midas.Hulle hou nog die aqau-clear aan Dit kos R28.00 n botteltjie
:thumbup: :thumbup: Dankie! Ek sal by hulle kry! ;-)

Return to “The Workshop”