Starter Motor

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
2.8 d/cab SFA
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Boksburg
Vehicle: Yamaha R1

Starter Motor

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

:( i have to do starter motor again, I had it repaired then year later replaced it with a brand new one and the one year garentee expired last year. Now it doing the same thing again. Is there any service or maintanance you can do to give it a longer life? :shock2:
John
Real Trucks Don't Have Sparkplugs!
ImageImage
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Re: Starter Motor

Post by CasKru »

2.8 d/cab SFA wrote::( i have to do starter motor again, I had it repaired then year later replaced it with a brand new one and the one year garentee expired last year. Now it doing the same thing again. Is there any service or maintanance you can do to give it a longer life? :shock2:
What's the symptoms...
To God be the glory
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

turn key just click, then in beginning if you bump it in gear then will start. Eventually that stop working also
John
ImageImage
SWARTLUX
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Gauteng
Vehicle: '05 LEGEND 35 2.7 DC 4x4, Monroe Gas allround, Long range tank, UniQ Chip. Platkar '06 Polo 1.6 Comfortline hatchback

Post by SWARTLUX »

2.8 d/cab SFA wrote:turn key just click, then in beginning if you bump it in gear then will start. Eventually that stop working also
Sure its not your battery?Sound to me like the signs of a flat battery.
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

2.8 d/cab SFA wrote:turn key just click, then in beginning if you bump it in gear then will start. Eventually that stop working also
Mine did the same. First though it was a dirty starter but after cleaning it did the same.

Then I searched for the starter relay but it seems mine doesn't have one but if yours do there is a mod you can do to it to sort out the problem

Alternatively (what I did) is just add a relay where you used the lead to the starter to power a relay which supplies direct power from the battery to the starter. Worked like as charm for me
To God be the glory
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Could be also the solinoid.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

My dad's Nissan bakkie did the same (inherited from grandfather, only way it got into the family)
I cleaned the poles on the battery and the clamps and problem disappeared.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Could also be an earth problem.Check all your earh cables to chassis and engine.
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
2.8 d/cab SFA

Post by 2.8 d/cab SFA »

Thanks I have check all the earths, battery is not old replaced after starter last time, diesal battery
John
ImageImage
Blaps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Rustenburg
Vehicle: Hilux 4x4 Ford V6

Post by Blaps »

:shh: What i did...... :shh: I took my stater out nineteen times over a period of two weeks, stripped it completely and cleaned it and checked the commutator on the armature, checked the brushes.... that were all good. I tested the solenoid and it was good. Checked the bendix and it was good. Put it together but still the same problem. I bought a new solenoid and bendix and replaced that but still the same problem. I tested all the windings, checked all the electrical connection points but the problem was still there. Eventually i took my jumper cables and Earthed the stater directly from the battery and it started every time. :blackeye: I then checked the earth wire to the engin and found that it got burned by the manifold :eh: :?: I replaced and re-routed it and connect it to a different place on the engin and since then starts every time :blackeye:
Go, just go.... Somewhere.... Out There...
CasKru

Post by CasKru »

Must be what's wrong with mine as well. When I took it out and tested it on the test bench it worked like a charm but as soon as I fit it to the bakkie the problem started.
To God be the glory

Return to “The Workshop”