IFS Heater Hot/cold switch

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
4x4Maniac
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

IFS Heater Hot/cold switch

Post by 4x4Maniac »

So I've been driving this whole winter thus far with the heater switched on to warm only, when switching it to cold is like it didn't open the valve to be on cold.

So I finally decided today it's time to open up the dash and see what's cooking...What I found was that the cable that is connected to the valve sits into a little white plastic slot, but seems like the piece that keeps it there is broken off. The problem experienced is when you switch it to hot the cable is pulled out and the valve goes to hot, but when switching it back to cold it dislodges from it's slot (because of the missing piece of plastic) and therefore cannot push the cable back into the sleeve.

So boer maaks a plan and just cable ties the lot together to it's housing... Problem solved and cheap fix.
Heater cable.jpg
(80.26 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: IFS Heater Hot/cold switch

Post by Mud Dog »

Good idea Werner! :thumbup: ...... No criticism, just two comments: you should have put a little block spacer between the cable and the housing so that the cable exits at a 90° angle to the perpendicular (there is now a little stress there and may make it harder for the cable to move in the sheath at that point. The cable may break where it is bent to engage the lever because it wears thinner there and it becomes a weak point). You can still rectify that. The other thing is that you should have lubricated the cable a little as well to let it work easier. :winkx:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Good point and thx I'll see how it goes, it still very easy to turn the switch so don't think it will be an issue right now. With what would lubricate it and how? Q20?
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Myne het dit ook gedoen en ek was gelukkig om 'n goeie ene te kry.

Jy kan altyd ook 'n bol Pratley putty daarop sit?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
MariusF
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Fortuner 3.0

Post by MariusF »

So as myne nie warm word nie is dit dieselfde probleem? Ek ry nie regtig met n verwarmer nie, maar as hy toe wasem is dit bietjie van n probleem....

Kry n mens nog van daardie waaier motors? Myne maak n geraas,maar daar is nie blare in nie. **Sug**

Jammer dat ek die draad hi-jack.:oops:
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

As jy hom draai na warm, hoor jy hoe hy n klep oop maak of voel dit bet asof hy draai op sy eie? Dit kan die kabel wees of heeltemal iets anders.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

4x4Maniac wrote:Good point and thx I'll see how it goes, it still very easy to turn the switch so don't think it will be an issue right now. With what would lubricate it and how? Q20?
No, Q20 would only work for a short while until it dries up. I prefer to work some grease into it, but that means removing the cable. Alternately you can disconnect one end and elevate it, then let some motor oil run down into the sheath by applying one drop at a time. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!

Return to “The Workshop”