KZTE Towing problems !!!!

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: '02Hilux Raider 3.0 KZTE 4x4. Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland

KZTE Towing problems !!!!

Post by Sun Chaser »

Over Dec I bought a boat and towed it to Misverstand Dam just outside of Cape Town,I was shocked to see how poorly my Lux towed the boat up the hills. Firstly I must say that I have a Alu Canopy and rooftop tent on the bakkie, which will affect airflow.
The boat is a 19ft Sunmaster which is +- 800kg, so the load with all other accessories in the boat, still under a ton. The bakkie towed quite well on the level road, but underperformed on the steep hills.(going past Malmesbury) I had to change down to second gear (3000rpm - 3500rpm) and when changing to 3rd, lost power and had to go back to 2nd, which made the temp climb to almost in the red. It was about 3pm and hot outside, I never had the a/c on, and sometimes put the heater on to help cool the engine down.
The trip back to CT, was later in the day and cooler outside with a strong SE headwind and the temp never went above 3/4, but still battled with the hills.
She has 250 000km on the clock, no intercooler or chip.The injectors have not been looked at to my knowledge. The engine normally performs very well, even when fully loaded on our annual trips to Namibia, but i don't usually tow anything.
Is the 3.0 KZTE capabale of towing such a heavy load, or do i need to look at a D4D or V6 Cruiser or 4.0l V6 Hilux for towing.
I was hoping for any advice as to where i should start to look at changes or repairs to my bakkie.
Please help :beg:
Ian
ImageImageImageImageImage
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3L V6 CRD Overland
louis fourie
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2003 Hilux Raider Facelift D/C 3.0 KZTE
Club VHF Licence: X101

Re: KZTE Towing problems !!!!

Post by louis fourie »

Ian

I tow a ±1.2t Conquerer caravan and never have to go 2nd and very seldom to 3rd (normally passes is where I need to go to 3rd). According to my knowledge your temp gauge should stay stable (mine does) no matter what the outside temp and how hard the engine is working. That gauge is as accurate as using a shifting for a vernier. Mine stays constant from 60°C to 105°C water temp - try not to drive it higher that 105°C.
Oupa Stig
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Post by Oupa Stig »

I've done 210k k's in my KZ. It's a workhorse (as opposed to recreational) and thus always carries load, sometimes very heavy. Have NEVER see my temp gauge over half, even with massive load in sand in Moz. Perhaps something's amiss with your cooling.....
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

From your description I must agree that it sounds like a radiator problem. Check that it is not choked with insects and dirt, also, if there are any areas where the tiny little fins are bent over ...... this will restrict airflow. Look to see if those little fins are not corroded /disintegrating ... if they are they will not be able to transfer heat to the airflow. Another possibility is that the visco fan is sluggish / slipping .... could even be a damaged radiator cowl.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Rebel 4x4
Town: Port Elizabeth
Vehicle: 2020 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 4x4 Auto

Post by Rebel 4x4 »

This is not normal, the KZTE should eat that hills being a diesel and fun filled with torque compared to the 2.7i, and as you mentioned its close to a ton, which is not overloading. As the guys mentioned above, temp gauge should stay constant, especially in low gears. If you were in a higher gear and laboring the engine, the temp gauge will go up.
Sent from my iPhone
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

Thanx to all for the advice. I was leaning towards a cooling problem, and also had a look at the visco fan, but could not see any oil marks or signs of leaks. What is the best way to check the fan if its working properly?
What could be the reason for it being so sluggish on the steep hills. There wasnt enough power to keep it in 3rd, which i found very unusual, even when reving it to 3700rpm in second, I would change to 3rd and It would just drop below 2000rpm and have to go back to second.
I am thinking about fitting an aftercooler and chip, and probably a freeflow exhaust next month. Will it be a great advantage to the vehicle for towing?
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

JJBotes
Town: Witbank
Vehicle: KZ-TE

Post by JJBotes »

I just had my KZ at SAC for intercooler,chip & freeflow. They found a problem with some valve that sits at the diesel pump. Replacing this valve already made a huge difference in the KZ's power. Don't know if this is your problem ,but fitting an intercooler & chip is deffinatly a step in the right direction, especially if you are towing something.
:thumbup:
4x4Maniac
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited (JKU) 3.8 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X120

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Not to throw a spanner in the works, but would really check out the radiator for blockages and thermostat. If it quickly climbs to red it could evidently be a cracked cylinder head or leaking gasket, get a good radiator place to check the radiator and pipes.. Then closely monitor coolant level. If I pull a 2.5 ton trailer I can hardly feel it, so something is wrong.

Once we went hunting and came back pulling a trailer with game of about 400kg. When I towed it on a flat road surface, no problem, but as soon as I go uphill, big problem. It turned out to be a cracked cylinder head. Got the AMC head +-R13000 later for everything from radiator to injectors and still going like a boing, 30k's later.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
AKA Epsilon on 4x4Community
(2011 JKUR)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 Auto Unlimited

Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers
Rugged Ridge Light Guards
KC Spotlights
Previous:
2003 Toyota Hilux DC KZTE 3.0 4x4
2001 Toyota Hilux DC 2700i 4x4
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Firstly, there is a big gap between 2nd and 3rd gear - with heavy loads you can have a problem.

BUT I suspect you have a cooling/cracked head problem.

Head down to Hoppy(AEW Auto) and have him check out you truck.

Once it gets a clean bill of health, install an interecooler and chip ASAP!

Please keep us updated!
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Niel
Vehicle: 2014, DC, D4D 3.0, 4x4

Post by Niel »

Gents. that hill is a female dog and is more than a km long (uphill and steep). With a full loaded Echo 4 I go up there in 3rd gear (towards the top). But none of the problems you experience. I agree with the sufggestions from the others and look if it breathes properly as well - clean filter or someone did not leave something in the air filter (like a cloth - that someone left in for me to remove). Hope it is just coolent/radiator.
Polarbear2008
Vehicle: 01 Hilux Kz-te 4x4 Raider d/c
Club VHF Licence: X49

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Sun Chaser I suggest you get your KZ to Alan (Hoppy) forum member and Hilux guru! If anyone can get to the bottom of this HE can!

It is defenitely not normal for the truck to heat up like that under load! I have never ever had my temp needle move at all no matter what the condition or load!
01 Hilux 3.0L KZ-TE 4x4 Raider d/c
GME Gx300 29meg & Vertex VX2200 VHF radio
Mikem load springs with greasable shackles and polybushes
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Kumho Road Venture AT - 30x9.5x15
National Luna Dual battery system
Frontrunner roofrack with s/steel table
Twin rear high lift jack points
Hilux4x4club sticker! ('nuf said!)
Echo3 4x4 offroad trailer with NL 74 Litre Fridge/Freezer
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Unlimited Fuel & Travel Budget!
Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Al Ain
Vehicle: Nissan Pathfinder

Post by Buffalo Soldier »

Ian, I tow a Commander Caravan. When towing uphill, she struggles. Most of the times I have to go to 2nd gear, BUT, I keep the revs at 2500, nothing more. Temp stays constant. But, this is painful. I have cracked the head. And only 252000 km on the clock. Seems like she could not handle all the stress. I have replaced the radiator cap and the thermostat. Cap started leaking and the thermostat opened only half the travel. But, I guess the damage was done, although the temp never exceeded 3/4 of the range. Guess what, I am looking for a new head now.......

I only use the Lux for towing, not too much solo driving. But, I have never seen a temp rise when solo driving. Will start tonight with the disassemble of the motor, and might as well clean the injectors and radiator while at it.
dalkill
Town: Cape TOwn
Vehicle: 2.4 GD6 SR D/C 4x4

Post by dalkill »

Eish, breaks my heart to hear the stories of the KZTE and their head problems.

Looks like the only one imune to this disease is / was the KB280DT. I have not heard of one of those going.
Although I have read many horror stories of the 300TDi... limp mode, engine cutting out.
2016 2.4GD6 SR D/C 4x4 (Oct 2022 - current) (Buraaq VI)
2007 d4d 3.0 D/C 4x4 (Mar 2016 - July 2022) (Buraaq V)
2003 Isuzu KB300 D/C 4x4 (May 2015 - Feb 2016) aka Buraaq IV
2000 hilux DC 2.7 4x4 (Jul 2011 - Sep 2012) aka Buraaq III
1999 RXI 20v (Nov 2009 - Jul 2011) aka Quicksilver
1990 hilux DC 2.2 4x4 (Jun 2008 - Jul 2011) aka Buraaq II
1997 corolla 160i GLE (Feb 2007 - Sep 2009) aka Green Goblin
1990 GLI twincam (still my fav rolla) (Oct 2005 - Mar 2007) aka Wit Blitz
Golf GTI 2.0 (temp insanity for 2months) (Jun 2005 - Aug 2005) aka A mistake
1993 hilux SC 2.2 4x4 (April 2003 - Sept 2005) aka Buraaq

TOYOTA IS MY LEWE
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

I have sent Allan a PM to get a quote for a few things to be done on the bakkie. I do hope that it's not a cracked head, :beg: as that would be very sad :cry: .
Thanx for all the replies, I will hopefully get the work done near month end and will let you guys know what the diagnosis is.
Keeping fingers crossed its nothing serious.
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Quick update, will post pics later. Took the head off last night. Head cracked all over, between the valves on 3 of the 4 cylinders, 3 of the combustion chambers cracked and also the head around where the combustion chambers are situated. And, the temp never even went very high, nowhere near the red markings. But, the Lux served me well, I will repair her and go for another 250K odd km traveling, mostly towing the van offroad.

Cheers. (will post pics on Monday).
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear
Club VHF Licence: X122

Post by Donkey »

Ockert, whilst you're at it, have a look into the AMC heads, good luck!
Tumelo Maketekete
Donkey, simple and often misunderstood.
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

2002 - 3.0KZ-TE Toyota Hilux (Letebele)
1994 - 1.6i Gl Toyota Corolla (Platkar)
1990 - Gli TwinCam 16v (ZuluBoy)

ImageImage
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Ockert, was presies dieselfde met myne, twee krake tussen valves. Ek glo as jy die AMC head opsit sal jy baie meer kilo's kry as dit... Onthou dat n engineering shop vir jou te kyk na die valvestems en die shims reg te kry, maak ook die block mooi skoon met n Stanley en kyk na die regte dikte gasket. As jy nog n geldjie het laat die radiator nagaan en maak skoon, nuwe radiator cap. Ek het ook my head boude vervang en injectors gestel.

Daar is n ou in PTA Wes, wat vir my alles oorgebou het vir n R1000. Draai net die water temp sensor en studs uit.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Fernando's Motor Engineering
(012) 3271374

Sterkte, laat weet of jy nog vrae het, ek help graag.

O JA ek het toe sommer die Timing belt ook vervang, my tensioner was nog reg.
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Werner, ek neem aan die AMC heads is verbeter sodat dieselfde probleme nie weer voorkom nie? Het reeds pryse gekry, baie goed, wat 'n AMC head insluit. Ek neem aan die "combustion chambers" word in gepress? Ek het die verkoelings water opgevang vir besigtiging. Dit is nog suiwer skoon, geen sediment of aanpaksels nie. Slegs die rooi kleur van Toyota se verkoelings water. Ek het die voertuig gekoop met 145K op die klok, en sedertdien was hy nooit by die agente nie (my mour gestrip vir die chief mechanic). Sal die naweek begin skoonmaak en alles opmeet wat gemeet moet word. Het darem al daai fancy tooling.

Groetnis.
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Die combustion chamber kan vervang word met n Aluminium welding, maar ek sal nie dit aan raai nie. Die nuwe head is kompleet, maw het n nuwe combustion chamber ingebou. Al wat die ingeneur oor in sit is die valve stems, en valvestem seals saam met die shims wat die korrekte hoogte is tussen die shim en camshaft, maak net seker jy gee vir hom die ou head, sonder manifold studs. Hy sal dan alles oorbou in spec oor na die nuwe head toe, check maar net die valve clearances voordat jy alles aan mekaar sit, en onthou om eers die engine met n spanner te draai terwyl tappet cover nog af is. As ek mooi onthou is die slag piston 1,3,2,4
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Okay, het die nuwe silinderkop (AMC), pakstuk en die klepseels gekry Saterdagoggend. Alles vir R5K. Wag net vir die nuwe silinderkop boute, nuwe olieseel en die "idler pulley". Die inspuiters word ook nagegaan en getoets. Die pomp sal gekalibreer/toets word sodra alles klaar is. Ek moet net 'n EGT stelsel bou en installeer, dan is ons weer reg vir die kamp ding.

Al die ander komponente is opgemeet en reg om terug te gaan. Sal nog so 'n week of twee neem, dan is ons reg.....

Werner: "Al wat die ingeneur oor in sit is die valve stems", het nagegaan, dit is reeds in plek. Moet net die studs insit en die valve seels, dan kan ek aan mekaar sit.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: 2002 3.0KZ-TE 4x4, Eazyawn RTT, Snorkel, NudgeM Bumper, 38mm Ball Joint Spacers, 35" Maxxis Bighorns, Dastek Unichip, 60 ltr Snomaster fridge/freezer, 40mm body lift, Mikem front/rear with extended shackles, Bilsteins shox rear

Post by Donkey »

Good luck :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete
We don't stop playing because we grow old, but we grow old because we stop playing!

ImageImage
4x4Maniac

Post by 4x4Maniac »

Klink reg, sterkte, volg maar net al die stappies in die boek dan kan jy nie verkeerd gaan nie. :thumbup:
ORRA CALLSIGN X120
(2011 JKUR)

KC Spotlights
Previous:
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

Ockert, klink my jy het jou hande vol met jou enjin. Sterkte met al die werk wat voorle.Die bakkie vanmiddag na Allen toe geneem, so ons sal maar hoor wat se hy as hy kans gekry het om na alles te kyk.
Ek het bietjie gekyk na die papiere van werk wat ek laat doen het, ek het skoon vergeet die head was deur Allan vervang in November 2009 so 35 000km terug. So ek glo nie dis die vout nie :beg:
Ek glo dis seker erens in die radiator of so iets wat pla.
Ek weet die injectors and pomp het seker by die tyd al werk nodig.
Ek sal julle laat wet wat se hy, wat alles nodig is, hoop net nie dis n moerse klomp geld nie.
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

Buffalo Soldier
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Nee wat Ian, dit klink na baie werk, maar is nie regtig nie. Ek het so bietjie tyd om dinge reg te maak, dan kan ek weer so 250K ry. Besig nou om die silinderkop aan mekaar te sit, sal die naweek die EGT insit (moet hom nog bou :-) ), dan volgende week begin om die enjin weer volledig te kry. Moet naweek 9 Feb klaar wees en toets sodat ek weer kan gaan kamp.

Groetnis en sterkte vir jou ook.
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

So far Allan says the visco fan not so lekker anymore, so he's going to install a new one. Also he has picked up there is no problem with compression or the head, so thats good news. there is a low power problem that he's going to check out, possibly something with the turbo. So far just sorting the cooling problem out and then going to investigate the power loss.
Will wait for him to give more feedback, but so far not looking too serious, I have faith he will get it all sorted.
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Sun Chaser wrote:So far Allan says the visco fan not so lekker anymore, so he's going to install a new one. Also he has picked up there is no problem with compression or the head, so thats good news. there is a low power problem that he's going to check out, possibly something with the turbo. So far just sorting the cooling problem out and then going to investigate the power loss.
Will wait for him to give more feedback, but so far not looking too serious, I have faith he will get it all sorted.
Ian I'm happy you're making progress, but also keen on knowing how does one know for sure when the fan isn't working so lekka any more?
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Time to replace with a proper electric fan - I'm tinkering with the idea - watch this space!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Electric fan is not the best option. There are very good reasons those dik bril Japs fitted our 4x4's with a viscous fan!
Polarbear2008

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Visco fans is nogal a moeilike topic. Het jare terug met n Jeep Grand Cherokee navorsing gedoen en min ouens wil of sal jou n antwoord gee hieroor.

Basies werk dit so - op cold start moet jy vir n kort tydperk die fan hoor, en dan sal hy stadiger begin loop tot hy basies vryloop.

Wanneer die engine op werk tempratuur is en jy sleep byvoorbeeld teen n heuwel uit (sodat daar lod op die motor is) dan sal jy hom weer hoor begin raas - of as jy op n warm dag jou aircon aan het, sal jy dit ook hoor.

n Toets sal wees, vanaf cold start, laat die engine loop tot op werk tempratuur, dan gee jy hom bietjie diesel sodat die engine begin werk (so 2000 rpm). Na n rukkie hoort jy te sien (en voel!) as jy voor die oop bonnet staan, dat die windgeraas toeneem (soos die fan vinniger begin loop) totdat hy "lock" en dieselfde spoed draai as die engine.

Na n rukkie sal hy weer loskom en stadiger begin loop, tot basies vryloop.

Indien dit nie gebeur nie, is dit tyd vir n ander eenheid. Ek weet jy kan die olie koop (by Toyota) en die wat in die unit is vervang - maar n nuwe eenheid is seker maar die beste opsie - veral op die diesels!

Ek sal (persoonlik) vir verskeie redes NIE n elektriese fan fit nie - onder andere dat as n elektriese fout jou fan laat staan - dan staan jy! Veral as dit in die Richtersveld of NAM is!

Die ander rede is n viso "unlock" as jy deur diep water ry, wat n elektriese fan nie doen nie - hy waai die water orals in die engine ruim.

Soos ek se my 2c se opinie!
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Dit maak sin, dankie Thuenis :thumbup: , ek het 328km's op my engine, ek dink dis nou tyd om die mannetjie vervang.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Polarbear2008

Post by Polarbear2008 »

Plesier man! Sal interessant wees om te sien wat se Toyota is die lewensduur van die visco!
Monroe Gas Magnum shocks
Dual loadbox slides
Wishlist:
Alu canopy
Warn Winch
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Sal vra by Gemini Parte hier in Jo'burg, miskien is dit goedkoper (spelling) :thumbup:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

Donkey wrote:Sal vra by Gemini Parte hier in Jo'burg, miskien is dit goedkoper (spelling) :thumbup:
Tumelo

I have a Gemini part that is lying in my garage - 2 months old. You can get it for a R1000. Problem is, it runs free in the morning with cold start and then never unlocks again until the next cold start. Even when your car stand in the sun it makes the fan lock. I then also had problems that it unlocks under load. Let's make it R800:grin:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Louis, thanks. But I've just rebuilt my KZ's motor don't wanna take any chances with overheating issues.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

Donkey wrote:Louis, thanks. But I've just rebuilt my KZ's motor don't wanna take any chances with overheating issues.
I agree. Get the Aisin from Toyota

Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mr_B wrote:Electric fan is not the best option. There are very good reasons those dik bril Japs fitted our 4x4's with a viscous fan!
Not anymore!

I've met a guy who imports stuff for Miltary vehicles and one product is an electric viscous fan that moves up to 8 times the volume of air that a viscous can!!!

Built for the military environment means it must be super tough and you do not loose kw's to drive the fan.

One of these days my truck(and his) will have one of those!!!

louis fourie

Post by louis fourie »

Thabogrobler wrote:
Mr_B wrote:Electric fan is not the best option. There are very good reasons those dik bril Japs fitted our 4x4's with a viscous fan!
Not anymore!

I've met a guy who imports stuff for Miltary vehicles and one product is an electric viscous fan that moves up to 8 times the volume of air that a viscous can!!!

Built for the military environment means it must be super tough and you do not loose kw's to drive the fan.

One of these days my truck(and his) will have one of those!!!
Eish Thabo, nou gee jy al weer net die helfte van die inligting:lol:

Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

ok, sorry for the late update. Alan had the bakkie at a diesel place near him, and they ended up rebuilding the diesel pump, and replacing the accelerator, as the variable resistor on the accelerator was only giving about 75% throttle. They said the injectors were fine, so never replaced them. Alan had also replaced the visco fan, front shocks, steering dampner and front ball joints.So all in all quite alot of work done, just under R18000.00.

I thought leka :thumbup: it would be fine and when i fetched it, the bakkie pulled much better. Then came the trip to Misverstand with the boat behind. It definately felt like it had more power and was pulling better than before, but when hitting the big hills,although I didnt have to go down to 2nd gear , it was going ok in 3rd, the temp still climbed to 3/4 and at Malmesbury a little over 3/4. Then to my horror when I got to the dam, yislaik, the back of the bakkie and the front of the boat were both black with soot. I have never had the bakkie smoke or throw soot before, so needless to say I was not a happy camper when I spent an entire day on the Monday after a leka weekend camping to wash all the black soot off the bakkie and my once white boat with white boat cover. :frustrated: Oh and the consumption was 5.2km/l Eish :wth:

So what now, I spoke to Allan and he said to bring it back as he thinks they set the pump too rich, but what abot the heating or lack of cooling, is that due to too rich a diesel mix or what.
I havent had the chance to take the bakkie back to Allan yet, will be going back next week to hopefully get it sorted.
Ouens at this point I am nearing wits end with this, as I never had any cooling problems before even when loading it on overland trips, (but with no trailer).
Hou duim vas, lets see what can be done.
I am seriuously considering traiding my faithfull KZTE (that took us on many a Namibia trip)in on a 4.2 TD VX Cruiser, which should tow without a problem???? :surrender:
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

The KZ's are getting older, over 10 years on average, i drive two myself, so they are keeping us busy, there is a few things that we battle with, the one is heat issues, i have two other ones with similar problems, the one we sorted with the third new radiator, this time from Toyota at great expense, the other one will also be coming in shortly, i suspect a cracked cylinder head. The main reason we drive Toyotas is reliability, and i go through great lengths to keep them reliable, often at my own expence, but we learn from it and i like to share my findings on the Forum. It is a difficult decision to make, i will have to do the same at some stage, but they become part of the family and it's not an easy one to make.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Too rich mixture will cause the temperature to rise.
Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Ian other thing is check if you have a chip, cos that will have to be re-mapped after the pump is done, I found mine by accident, hope you come right :thumbup: (assuming you're not left-handed :cooldude: )
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Mars wrote:Too rich mixture will cause the temperature to rise.
this explaines the black smoke, will have it checked out, maybe a dyno will tell us more
Donkey wrote:Ian other thing is check if you have a chip, cos that will have to be re-mapped after the pump is done, I found mine by accident, hope you come right :thumbup: (assuming you're not left-handed :cooldude: )
Don,t think it has, but we will check
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

I'm pretty sure it dosn't have a chip. I'm hoping the problem lies with the over fueling, to be causing the smoke and overheating. :beg:
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

The Lux is back at Archman Diesel, the guys that did the fuel pump in January. The diagnosis is, they have checked the injector nozzles and say they are no good now, and in Jan they were fine. They also say that all the inlet valves are not seating completely and need to be reshimed. I spoke to the guy and asked about the diesel pump, being too rich, and he said it is an electronic pump and can't be set too rich. So the problem with the smoking is from the injector nozzles and the valve clearance being out.
I don't know how the valves can be out, if there hasn't been any work done on the valves. I can understand wear over 240 000kms, but that would mean they have been out for a long time, and the bakkie never smoked before they rebuilt the pump?
Anyway, hope they get it this time, as the costs are souring with sorting the overheating/underpower problem out.
The bakkie definately has more power, but still gets hot when towing and smokes alot.
Alan has a larger Prado radiator he is going to fit, which he says was the only solution to another bakkie he did a while ago with the same symptoms as mine, it was cool under normal driving, but overheated when towing and the extra sized radiator sorted it out.
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Hope you come right Ian, nothing worse than a sick puppy :thumbdown:
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Sun Chaser
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Sun Chaser »

I'm happy to report that my Lux "Gem" is healthy again. :yahoo:
She has loads of power and the the smoking is also gone.
The last work that was done, replaced fuel injector nozzles, reshimmed the inlet valves and fitted a new larger radiator.
She is pulling very well, even up Malmesbury hill and went up Oukaapseweg on the way home from the dam, and managed it no problem. The temp gauge didn't move off half at any time. :thumbup:
So thanx to Allan and his perseverance in getting it sorted, another job well done. :thumbup:
'02 Hilux 3.0KZTE
Iron Man Suspension
Air Ride Suspension
Alu Cab Canopy
Alu Cab Rooftop Tent
Dual battery Kit
6oL LRT
BFG 31x10.5 A/T

Donkey
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Donkey »

Happy for you Ian.
Next I think also take out the baffle plate in the airbox, took mine out, and it breathes much better and pulls better also.
Tumelo Maketekete

ImageImage
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Lekker as dit uitgesort is!