Hilux miss firing

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
davidb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2000 d/c 2700i

Hilux miss firing

Post by davidb »

Hi Guys and Girls
Can you please help with this problem. My hilux miss fires on a spark plug gap of 008mm and runs well on a gap of 1.3mm is this the norm.
Regards
David
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Re: Hilux miss firing

Post by Mars »

What do the manuals say should the gap be? I suppose you meant 0.8mm? 1.3mm sounds a little bit much but I have no idea what the spec should be normally it is around .06 to .08. How old are the plug wires, distributor cap, rotor etc?
davidb
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2000 d/c 2700i

Post by davidb »

Hi Marnus
sorry you are right it is 0.8 and the book says so, but I wanted to do a plug change and found that the plugs where at 1.3mm.Last service do 10000km ago.
Thanks once again
David
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Ok but I am still not with you. Does it misfire if you set the plug gap to 0.8? It should not. If it does then look at the other things like the HT leads as there resistance increases with age making the spark weaker. Does your hilux have electronic ignition? Does it still use a distributor cap and rotor? Those parts also deteriorate with age and can impede performance and cause missfiring.

Return to “The Workshop”