2.7 Suspension problem ? Front noise when going over bumps

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
2.7Fan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Toyota 2.7 Hilux 4x4 2001

2.7 Suspension problem ? Front noise when going over bumps

Post by 2.7Fan »

Hi all,

My 2.7 has had a very irritating problem and i just cannot seem to find the cause.

Whenever you go through a small dip or bump in the road ( typically where the road has been cut and filled up ) there is a loud thumping / clanking noise. It feels like the front shocks are loose, but this is not the case.
Here is whats currently new: Shocks, lower ball joints, stabiliser bar connecting rods and the front torsions have also been set up a little in an attempt to try and resolve this issue.
Been to Toyota, had the vehicle on the lift twice, and no one can find anything "loose". They mentioned that the side running boards could be knoking against the body, but i checked and there is more than 1cm space between the runner boards and body everywhere.
I have inspected all bolts, nuts, rubbers etc, but cannot find this problem. It clearly feels and sounds like the front shocks/wheels are lose, but it has been checked and checked again.
We traveled a gravel road on the weekend and this obviously aggravated the noise and my wife mentioned that the clanking noise feels like it could be below her feet. This means the noise or cause thereof is pretty close to the floor pan area of the passenger ( and driver) floor area.
Deflating tyres does seem to reduce the noise somewhat, but its still there. At times is seems to also be heard toward the back of the vehicle if its a hard bump, first in the front, then the back as the vehicle goes over the bump/dip.

There is a damper type connection that looks like it could connect the body to the chassis below the passenger and driver floor area. Could it be this ? I have looked in the Toyota workshop manual, but no mention of this connection.

Anyone else with a similar problem?
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Re: 2.7 Suspension problem ? Front noise when going over bum

Post by Thabogrobler »

Used to have something similar; in the end itwas the replacement bumper that had slight movement and touched the body when going through a dip. Found that after spending big $$$!

It's not a sqeeking sound?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mozambique
Town: Kriel
Vehicle: Toyota

Post by Mozambique »

2.7Fan wrote:Hi all,

My 2.7 has had a very irritating problem and i just cannot seem to find the cause.

Whenever you go through a small dip or bump in the road ( typically where the road has been cut and filled up ) there is a loud thumping / clanking noise. It feels like the front shocks are loose, but this is not the case.
Here is whats currently new: Shocks, lower ball joints, stabiliser bar connecting rods and the front torsions have also been set up a little in an attempt to try and resolve this issue.
Been to Toyota, had the vehicle on the lift twice, and no one can find anything "loose". They mentioned that the side running boards could be knoking against the body, but i checked and there is more than 1cm space between the runner boards and body everywhere.
I have inspected all bolts, nuts, rubbers etc, but cannot find this problem. It clearly feels and sounds like the front shocks/wheels are lose, but it has been checked and checked again.
We traveled a gravel road on the weekend and this obviously aggravated the noise and my wife mentioned that the clanking noise feels like it could be below her feet. This means the noise or cause thereof is pretty close to the floor pan area of the passenger ( and driver) floor area.
Deflating tyres does seem to reduce the noise somewhat, but its still there. At times is seems to also be heard toward the back of the vehicle if its a hard bump, first in the front, then the back as the vehicle goes over the bump/dip.

There is a damper type connection that looks like it could connect the body to the chassis below the passenger and driver floor area. Could it be this ? I have looked in the Toyota workshop manual, but no mention of this connection.

Anyone else with a similar problem?
Check the rubber on top of the front shocks, there where it mounts to the body. I had a similar click clack and found those rubbers were dammaged
Danman
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 2009 Fortuner 4.0 V6 aka "BosBuffel"

Post by Danman »

Hi,
Also check pitman arm, when I bought Noster had the same problem.
2.7Fan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 2.7Fan »

Thanks so far everyone.
Some feedback on suggestions:
1. The front shocks are new and Rubbers are intact
2. Not the front bumper...checked and no rubbing, nor loose bolts.
3. Seems the Pitman arms may possibly be most accurate diagnosis. I don't know how to test the Pitman arms... everything looks fine, all bolts onto the chassis seem secure.....who can test this ?
Bos Vark
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: george
Vehicle: 2.7 DC 4X4. Longrange tank. powerfow exhaust.

Post by Bos Vark »

ek het diesefde op myne

het al die

shocks
pitman arm
idler arm
lower ball joints
swaybar bushes
controll arm bushes laat check.

dit is nog steeds daar.....
so ek sal ook graag wil weet.
pietdevs
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Mosselbay
Vehicle: Toyota Land Cruiser Troopy

Post by pietdevs »

Ek het dieselfde probleem gehad op my bakkie nadat nuwe ball joints ens ingesit is. Probleem is opgelos deur ghries nipples op die joints te sit en dit te ghries. Die joints het klein boutjies in wat jy uitdraai en net die nipples in die plek daarvan indraai. Die sondebok was die boonste joints - ek glo dit sal jou probleem ook oplos.
2.7Fan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 2.7Fan »

Dankie Pieter, ek sal verseker daarna kyk.
Nuwe balljoints is net onder ingesit, so ek sal na boonstes se ghries kyk
Jackal
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: CTN
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4 2002

Post by Jackal »

I also have this on mine and have just learned to live with it. I have also inspected everything I can and can't see anything obvious. Mine isn't very loud but I can feel a slight 'knock' under my feet when going over a small bump. I recently replaced my suspension front and back with full OME shocks, leafs and torsions and the 'knock' is still there. (I didn't replace the suspension because of the knock!) I don't suspect its anything too serious but I would like to make it stop. I'll be following this thread.
Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4 2002
KTM 300 XC-W 2008
Bos Vark
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: george
Vehicle: 2.7 DC 4X4. Longrange tank. powerfow exhaust.

Post by Bos Vark »

het al die

shocks
pitman arm
idler arm
lower ball joints
swaybar bushes
controll arm bushes laat check.
sorry ek wou nog se alles wat hier is het ek vervang, nie net gecheck nie.
2.7Fan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 2.7Fan »

Ok, some feedback to everyone:

Firstly thanks to all for the advise.

I have referred to the workshop manual as I remember a small illustration on how to test the balljoints. I replaced the lower balljoints in December last year, so I was not to worried about them being faulty. I did the simple test by jacking the front wheel off the ground ( jack NOT directly on swing-arm) and wedge wheel up and down. Both Top balljoints are worn out and this will be replaced on the weekend.
I hope it will resolve the issue.

Will keep you all posted.
Jackal
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: CTN
Vehicle: Hilux 2700i D/C 4x4 2002

Post by Jackal »

Thanks, please keep us posted and post some pics if you can.
Toyota Hilux 2700i DC 4x4 2002
KTM 300 XC-W 2008
Dewald Posthumus
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Hilux 3.0D4d 4x4

Post by Dewald Posthumus »

Guys,

I recall a friend of mine telling about the problem he had, I think it was along the same lines as what you are talking about. It was a welding problem on the chassis or something to that effect. He took his vehicle to Toyota and they checked the chassis number and confirmed it, Toyota SA also fixed the problem free of charge...

Ok, found the post: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/sho ... hp?t=10580" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Have a look at post number 10.
2.7Fan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 2.7Fan »

Hi all,

Problem resolved. I replaced both the worn out TOP ball joints and all is quiet now.
Still a similar noise in the back, but will get to that problem in time.
Last edited by 2.7Fan on Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liaan
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 99 2.7 DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: AC1

Post by Liaan »

If you are replacing the balljoints yourself - buy genuine parts.
It is a hell of a job doing them all without a proper workshop and you don't want to do it over again.

Mine also had 1 upper balljoint that was noisy.
Replaced it with a R50 midas one, a week later, same thing!

Bought the genuine items and replaced all the balljoints(upper and lower)
Was very $$$$ but worth it!
Almal kry die voorreg om onnosel te wees, net jammer party maak misbruik daarvan

99 2.7 Raider 4x4 D/c
OME and some more...

Gebore in die BLOU BUL hoofstad
2.7Fan
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by 2.7Fan »

Oops,

I also bought pirate. Hope they last...there is no way I'm getting ripped off by Toyota and pay R750 per ball joint !
Giovann
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2007 4l V6 Hilux Raider D/C A/T

Re: 2.7 Suspension problem ? Front noise when going over bumps

Post by Giovann »

HI, i know this post is old but I'm about to bash my head into wall.... :frustrated:

I've got the same problem, when I go over a bump it makes a dull (not metal on metal)thudding noise coming from the front right... Very springy like something is osculating... It horrible when i go over corrugated gravel roads,its continuous and sounds like something going to snap or pop out.

I've had it by toyota, they say they don't know what it is and blamed it on a ruptured CV boot :shock2: car has been by other guys as well and spent the last 3 days at super quick checking all my ball joints, sway bars, shocks etc the guys there really tried ended up not charging me cause they couldn't find the issue.

Could it be some unseen damage to the frame possibly? And if so who can you take it to inspect it? This is 07 DC V6 I really need to get to the bottom of this, doing the namib dessert trip soon can't go dune bashing with this sound buggin me :beg:

Return to “The Workshop”