Drive train wind up

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Scooter
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: JHB
Vehicle: '94 Raider, '05 Vigo 4.0 v6

Drive train wind up

Post by Scooter »

Hey guys and gals

Been a long time since ive popped in here but I have an issue on the truck that has just started.

Whilst driving around town I pulled in at a garage and noticed a major "klunk" when parking. I did the usual inspections but nothing was wrong until I reversed and it happened again.

I then noticed the rear wheel slipping and realised it was wind up. Now if this was on a trail it wouldnt be so uncommon as the truck would be in 4wd. The issue is that it isn't in 4wd. Or at least not according to the selector shifter.

Any suggestions onwhat could be causing it?
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
FIRSTGEER
Town: King WilliamsTown
Vehicle: 2,5 D4D Singlr Cab 4X4 Full OME suspension. snorkel.GMA aftermarket bullbar.
Club VHF Licence: HC 109

Re: Drive train wind up

Post by FIRSTGEER »

Howzit Scott.Seems to me that you have sheard some teeth in the diff which is causing the diff to lock up.I hope I'm mistaken but I suggest you strip the diff and access the problem Good luck .
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

If the X-fer case were somehow to be engaged even though the change lever was in the H2 position, you would immediately feel it on the steering whilst on a hard surface like asphalt (difficult to turn), so I doubt that's the case and in addittion you mention the rear wheels slipping. It could be as Tony suggests but another possibility is a blocked diff breather if your Raider has a Gearmax diffloc. What happens in this case is that as the diff warms up the air inside expands but has nowhere to escape / relief with a blocked breather. The pressure build up inside the diff, although slight, is enough to warp the diffloc diaphragm and engage the locker (the same as if there were vacuum on the other side of the diaphragm like when the locker is purposely engaged).

Worth checking out. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Unfortunately I dont have a gearmax with difflock so it cant be a blocked breather.

Driving in a straight line it is fine and only hops and skips on tight turns. The inner wheel in the turn is the one that slips of course because it doesn't need to turn as much as the outer wheel. This says to me that the rear wheels are locked together as if they were in 4wd. But as stated the lever is in 2H.

I will start looking tomorrow. Any suggestions on tests to do to try figure out what it is before I start stripping diffs or removing gearboxes?

It is just very strange that it was fine on Friday and only started Saturday morning. I haven't been on any trails lately but did have a woman in a opel try to check my diff with here engine. That was a few months back but perhaps something was broken that was not noticeable.
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant."
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Scott, you say you have no locker fitted but it's just the rear wheels that are winding up. Unfortunately there can be only one area that's causing the axle to behave like it has a locker. This is a differential problem and excludes the gearbox / X-fer box. I fear you are going to find some broken spiders or carrier in that diff ..... I really hope I'm wrong. :eh:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I fear you might be right Andy. I just jacked it up at the rear and gave the wheels a turn and instead of them turning in opposite directions like they are supposed to when in 2H they turn together.

Let me rephrase actually, they turn in opposites for a turn or so then they lock together. I have disconnected the prop at the diff to eliminate the transfer case and well yes it looks to be the diff as it continues happening.
I reckon I might find a few smashed up bits inside.

So I will get stripping to see whats what. With any luck I can claim from insurance on the idea that it was caused by the accident in March.

Will let you know what I find.

Thanks for the input.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So the fears were right and the spider/planetary gears are FUBAR.

Now comes the part in trying to remove the rear axles. The things are vas jong :wth:

Any big hammer ideas on removing them?

Return to “The Workshop”