Hilux Key Issue

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Lakeside
Vehicle: 2013 Toyota Hilux Dakar 3.0D4D D/C 4x4

Hilux Key Issue

Post by ash007 »

Some advice required. I have a 2006 2.7 VVTI Toyota Hilux D/C

The buttons on my key started giving problems as they started to crack. So I called up Barloworld Toyota in Bellville and explain my situation. I told them I don’t need the whole key as my transmitter is still fine, I only need the housing set to place the transmitter in. In their lack of knowledge no one tells me that there is a second chip built in to the key that needs to be recoded. So after sending all relevant doc’s and making arrangements for someone else to collect keys and everything, after numerous follow up calls, two weeks later after I called them they reply by stating yes keys are finally ready for collection. So the person I arranged with went with two old keys and collected two new keys. Toyota then tells the collectee that he/she must go to Master Key (Durban road Bellville) themselves to have key cut. So the person went and all was done.

I arrived home Fri evening open bakkie with remote all well jump in turn key, starter runs but no joy engine doesn’t take. So I realise one of old keys is missing as well (turns out was left at Master key). Sat morning go to master key to collect old key. I tell the man my story he says no wait he’s got the program dongle will reprogram key for me and explains about the built in chip in key. He connects the dongle under the dash. So he tries to reprogram the thing and says sorry doesn’t work for my model must go to Toyota. Once driving away I notice my security light now flashes whilst I drive instead of going off as per normal.

So this morning I go to Toyota Barloworld very angry and frustrated that they never programmed keys in first place. Service Manager explains parts guys made mistake some models don’t have built in chip don’t worry they will reprogram free of charge. 20 Min later sorry tumblers are to worn (system can’t pick up the key) will have to replace ignition cylinder, new keys and reprogramming required, quote R 1850.00. So I take papers and leave thinking about this problem whilst driving to Saldanha. Thinking this will result my doors and ignition having different keys as well.

I went to Vredenburg Toyota, explained whole story again. Guy explains changing ignition is not going to solve a electronic problem (which was what I was thinking on the drive). Guy connects computer says he has no idée what’s happening it’s not even picking up my old key and he has no idée why the security light keeps flashing.

To fix the new key issues we derived the following plan remove build in chip from new key (milling it out or nail polish remover to break down glue) and break chip out of old key and place it in new key and it will work fine. So took keys across road to key cutting place (as they have new pirate blanks that could be used if our plan does not work). Managed to swap chips and bakkie starts and works perfectly with new keys (old keys totally destroyed but that’s fine as I have two brand new keys now).

As for the flashing security light Toyota says it still drives so why be bothered, but it bothers me. Toyota said it’s going to take some deep diagnostics to fix that problem (which I believe Master Lock, Bellville guy caused with that dongle, and might be why key was not being recognised in first place) and might cost around R4000.00.

Any advice at this point would be welcome. Sorry for the long story, but had to explain it all.
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Re: Hilux Key Issue

Post by Hangover »

A few years back they stole my 2007 2.7vvti and after i had it repaired and what what it did the same... I had the same response from toyota and they said it should be diagnosed for R4k. I did not really want to spend 4k on that and decided ill give jean a call (the guy that did my aftermarket engine management). He told me that he had the same problem numerous times and he solved most of them by just removing the battery terminals for half an hour. When you reconnect them keep the key away from the car and leave the battery connected for a few seconds. Then put the key in the ignition to the on position then off and then start. It worked for my problem so why not try it yourself.
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

Thanks Hangover

Will go try it just now. Will let you know if it worked or not.
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

I tried Hangover's suggestion

Only disconnected negative terminal though, essentially same thing right.

Still no joy. Still flashing at me.
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

What would happen if i try to reprogram answer back and auto door lock for example; might opening and closing the system that way maybe do anything?
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

Does anyone know a good auto electrician in Bellville or Cape Town area that would be able to help me sort out the problem.
For less than R4000.00 that was quoted by Toyota.
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Speak to Hoppy at AEW Auto - he should be able to offer advice. Or PM him directly from the forum.

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Centurion Gauteng
Vehicle: Mazda Rustler 16v

Post by MCHILUX »

The flashing on the security light does it flash twice then a second pause and twice again?
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

MCHILUX

"The flashing on the security light does it flash twice then a second pause and twice again?"

Yes it does exactly like that.
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

Just sit inside with the doors closed insert the key and switch it 5 times on and off quickly and remove the key. Should be sorted the immobilizer ecu is in programming mode.
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

MCHILUX

Thanks just done it working perfectly again thanks.
You just saved me R4000.00 and a lot of trouble.

Thank you so much!
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

MCHILUX

Thanks just done it working perfectly again thanks.
You just saved me R4000.00 and a lot of trouble.

Thank you so much!
grobbepj
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Hilux legend 35 4x4 3.0kzte D/C

Post by grobbepj »

This is why I love this forum. You always get good help and advise... For nothing!!! Just need to ask. Awesome bunch...
MCHILUX
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by MCHILUX »

Pleasure man
Hangover
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

ash007 wrote:I tried Hangover's suggestion

Only disconnected negative terminal though, essentially same thing right.

Still no joy. Still flashing at me.
Ahhh thats bad news... Im sorry it didnt work! but it was worth a try!
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
ash007
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by ash007 »

Hangover

No problem man MCHILUX sorted it out working perfectly again.

Shot. Thanks!

Return to “The Workshop”