Floor Covering inside cab

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Harkerville WC
Vehicle: 1990 Hilux 4Y

Floor Covering inside cab

Post by dax021 »

After many years of sitting on a tatty old bench seat, I finally took the plunge and acquired a couple of bucket seats (Toyota Verso) to replace the bench. Lifted the plastic floor mat and removed front and back seats and was met with a 23 year old layer of crud, including coins, dry wors, dried out liquid spills, beer bottle caps and more. Surprisingly there was not too much rust, only under the pedals and around bolt holes and is just on the surface and not pitted. I set about cleaning up, and half way through, was seriously regretting that I had ever started. What started off as a simple task had became a mission. Ok, I blame myself for this as I am a bit of a perfectionist, and as you all know with old cars, as one fixes one thing other faults become apparent. So, I have now cleaned and sanded the complete interior, and am about to rust treat and prime the whole thing. I am now reluctant to put the old floor mat back in as it will spoil all my hard work.

My question now for the collective wisdom of the forum, is what is a good solution for covering the floor? I seem to remember reading about rubberising, or high density foam, but am unsure where to go next.

Oh yes, I am once again happy that I started this job, as the donkey work is now over and I know the end product will look great and last for another 23 years.
Oupa Stig
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Johannesbug
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE 4X2 "Stagger Lee", Hilux IFS 2.7 4x4 "Loretta"

Re: Floor Covering inside cab

Post by Oupa Stig »

I worked at a guy's house a while back who's building a 58 Chev pickup rod. He had stuff in the cab on the floor which he got from one of the bigger spares outlets - Autozone or something. It's a self adhesive sticky rubbery stretchy gooey black rubber business with an aliminium foil backing (top) which when pressed can conform to the curves etc of the cab floor. It looked quite simple if a bit labour intensive to install, and acts as insulation, and you then place your carpeting over it... I might still have his nr, if you don't find any more info from someone else here.
I feel a lot less wise at 45 than I did at 15.
Jaco Versfeld
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Western Cape
Vehicle: Moms Taxi, 2001 Prado (The Barbie Cruiser)) Sold - Mufasa: '86 Hilux DC 4Y EFI
Club VHF Licence: X69

Post by Jaco Versfeld »

I will be reluctant to rubberize. I think there might be rust issues, and it is then not easy to detect. Your engine/road noise will also be considerably higher with only rubberizing.
dax021 wrote:

My question now for the collective wisdom of the forum, is what is a good solution for covering the floor? I seem to remember reading about rubberising, or high density foam, but am unsure where to go next.

Oh yes, I am once again happy that I started this job, as the donkey work is now over and I know the end product will look great and last for another 23 years.
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks Mickey, Jaco. Yes, I've heard of that foil stuff, I believe the Jnb guys get it from a place called Sondor, I'll have to source it down here though. I'm a bit concerned that the foam might retain water and also promote unseen rust though. Jaco, I agree, rubberising might cause problems in the future. My old plastic mats are shot, so maybe I can look into having carpets made using them as a template and lay that over the foam stuff.
Gerrie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1998 Land Rover Disco 1

Post by Gerrie »

I am also planning to give my bakkie the same treatment in December... watching this thread with great interest to see what transpires...

You can talk to Hoppy about that silver things (I think he knows what it is and where to find it)
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I would also be hesitant to rubberise ..... It's practical from a "keeping it clean" point of view, but if there's any rust stating under there you won't know of it till it's progressed very far.

I would rather paint it with stone-chip and then lay automotive carpeting (that can breathe and doesn't retain moisture) over it. That should also be more effective IRO sound deadening.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Thanks Andy, I like the sound of this option. I'm going to look into prices for doing this.
Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hartenbos
Vehicle: LC 80, 4500
Club VHF Licence: X254

Post by Genissie »

what about (cost maybe an issue) a new factory set carpet
my concern with the under felt sticky stuff is when the vehicle do get wet, it is verydifficult to dry. I like the stone chip idea, and perhaps have rubber or carpet with under-layer stitched & custom fitted to follow the curves, will look neat and clean / dry easier
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Something like Rhino Lining or Tuff Guard?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Genissie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Hartenbos
Vehicle: LC 80, 4500
Club VHF Licence: X254

Post by Genissie »

versigtig met enige verf binne die cab, veral die rubberising reuk gaan jou mal maak en nie sommer verdwyn nie. ek dink nog stone chip is nie n slegte idee nie, lekker growwerig vir die matte om nie te gly nie en het n antiwerende roes middel in.
Gerrie
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 1998 Land Rover Disco 1

Post by Gerrie »

Sal dit werk om net stonechip te verf en dan los matjies in te sit? dan haal jy die lining heeltemal uit die vergelyking uit?
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Kyk net mooi na stone chip dit is geneig om te vlek ,dit moet met a 2f verk oorgeverf word om dit te verhoed ,so die binnekank kan vuil kyk na n rukkie se gebreuk

Martin
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Roodepoort
Vehicle: Jeep Commander 3.0 Limited
Club VHF Licence: B338

Post by Ali3n »

Ek wil graag my wa heeltemal ood doen binne met daai heat goed. Met die foelie op...
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
ImageImageImage Link BrokenImageImage Link Broken
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Cell: 076 122 3744 E-Mail: fpanaino@gmail.com
Bear Grylls calls it "Ultimate Survival", overlanders call it "Camping"
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Ali3n wrote:Ek wil graag my wa heeltemal ood doen binne met daai heat goed. Met die foelie op...
Bly weg van dit af sover dit karre betref, unless jy dit binne in die ventilation / wiper channel wil gebruik as dit daar by die kajuit in lek. Dit word baie sag met hitte en dan gly dit. Daai bitumen is vrek taai as dit warm word en dis 'n engelse vroulikke hond om af te kry .... jy sal 'n paar dromme parafien moet gebruik.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Mud Dog wrote:
Ali3n wrote:Ek wil graag my wa heeltemal ood doen binne met daai heat goed. Met die foelie op...
Bly weg van dit af sover dit karre betref, unless jy dit binne in die ventilation / wiper channel wil gebruik as dit daar by die kajuit in lek. Dit word baie sag met hitte en dan gly dit. Daai bitumen is vrek taai as dit warm word en dis 'n engelse vroulikke hond om af te kry .... jy sal 'n paar dromme parafien moet gebruik.
Ek sien oom Andy. :think: Die probleem wat ek het is dat dit verskriklik warm bly binne in die cab. Hoe maak ek om die te insuleer?
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
Custom built Rock Sliders, Bumpers, Belly protection.... Anything you can think of
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Daai dun foam matrassie wat die stappers gebruik? Jy plak hulle so liggies onder jou bestaande matte vas - dit demp klank en hitte baie goed!

Toerboer was so kreatief in sy ou Landie en dit het baie goed gewerk!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Ali3n wrote:
Mud Dog wrote:
Ek sien oom Andy. :think: Die probleem wat ek het is dat dit verskriklik warm bly binne in die cab. Hoe maak ek om die te insuleer?
Ek het ook die hitte probleem in Kaspaas gehad. Koop van daai cheaphondekomberse (die gryses) by Makro en sit dit onder die matte. Jy kan underfelt ook gebruik maar dis te dik. Die komberse sny maklik en werk kwaai... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Undervelt and coarse blankets should do the trick .... only thing I would worry about there is that if it ever gets wet (spillage / rain through open window / rust hole leaks / Cassie Special) that it absorbs and retains the moisture. That leads to unpleasant smells and later rusty floor pan.

There's an insulation product called "IsoTherm" - it's a synthetic fibre and doesn't hold moisture - very similar to hat you would find inside a geyser blanket . It may be a bit thick when new but compresses very easily, so it'll flatten out as soon as you lay a carpet over it. Bonus is that it's also very cheap, even though you would have to buy a 10m roll (40mm spec), you could still utilise the excess as a geyser blanket / water pipe insulation / under-soil garden bed draining mat / etc / etc .....

That 40mm flattens out to about 8mm easily with a bit of pressure (you could even flatten it in advance by placing it between two boards wit a few weights on top).

Read up on specs here.

;-)

MOFASA
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1998 JEEP XJ 4.0............ 4 inch lift.... more mods to follow............ Old vehicle was MOFASA
Club VHF Licence: X119

Post by MOFASA »

dax021 wrote:Thanks Mickey, Jaco. Yes, I've heard of that foil stuff, I believe the Jnb guys get it from a place called Sondor, I'll have to source it down here though. I'm a bit concerned that the foam might retain water and also promote unseen rust though. Jaco, I agree, rubberising might cause problems in the future. My old plastic mats are shot, so maybe I can look into having carpets made using them as a template and lay that over the foam stuff.
I will be coming down to CT on the 9th Dec. If you find out where to get the stuff in Jhb and sort out for it to be delivered to me or me collect it then I could bring it down with me..... just a thought.... :think:
Live Life in the FAST lane....
Forget the past, Embrace the FUTURE!!!!
To 4x4 or not to 4x4 thats the question....
IT'S A JEEP :yahoo: ..... You wouldn't understand....
ImageImageImage[rimg=206x128]
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mud Dog wrote:
There's an insulation product called "IsoTherm" - it's a synthetic fibre and doesn't hold moisture - very similar to hat you would find inside a geyser blanket . It may be a bit thick when new but compresses very easily, so it'll flatten out as soon as you lay a carpet over it. Bonus is that it's also very cheap, even though you would have to buy a 10m roll (40mm spec), you could still utilise the excess as a geyser blanket / water pipe insulation / under-soil garden bed draining mat / etc / etc .....

That 40mm flattens out to about 8mm easily with a bit of pressure (you could even flatten it in advance by placing it between two boards wit a few weights on top).

Read up on specs here.

;-)
Yip, Isotherm sal lekker werk!

Jy kan selfs baie dikker as 40mm gaan - kyk na die 70 of 100mm, dit druk baie plat, maar sal nie plat bly as jy die mat/drukking afhaal nie.

Dit hou ook nie water nie. Dit demp ook nie klank nie.

'n Rol behoort so rondom R300 te kos.

Ali3n
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Ali3n »

Thanks oom Andy and Thabo. Will be looking into that :thumbup:

P.s Sorry to have hijacked a bit.
PRESENTLY DISADVANTAGED
dax021
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker

Post by dax021 »

Andy, I think you're getting confused between that bitumen/foil used for flashings and the other stuff which is a high density foam/foil specially made for heat & sound insulation.

Johnno, thanks, but I am almost done. I have rust treated and primed and will paint with Stonechip today. Costs have become a bit inhibiting - they want R 2000 to make up a new carpet for me - plus I can't make my bucket seats fit without cutting that cross rail, which I don't want to do, and without cutting, my head hits the roof, so I have decided to refurbish the bench seat (R 1200) and put it back with the old mat. I like the camping mattress idea, will experiment with and old one I have lying around. When I source some lower profile bucket seats I'll get a new proper carpet made, but for now I'm gatvol of the bakkie standing and need to get mobile.

Thanks to all for the good advice, and Ali3n, no worries about the hijack, as much info as possible is what this forum is about, the way I see it.
Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Daardie goed wat die kajuit insuleer se naam is Dynamat. Dit is $#$%## duur! Daar is blykbaar 'n namaaksel daarvan wat jy kan insit wat beskikbaar is by A&S Wholesalers in Bazaar straat in Marabastad kan kry vir beter pryse.
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck

Post by Thabogrobler »

Mars wrote:Daardie goed wat die kajuit insuleer se naam is Dynamat. Dit is $#$%## duur! Daar is blykbaar 'n namaaksel daarvan wat jy kan insit wat beskikbaar is by A&S Wholesalers in Bazaar straat in Marabastad kan kry vir beter pryse.
Jy kry dit dalk goedkoper maar gaan jou kar ng daar wees as jy uitkom???

Sal maar my klong saamvat as ek gaan kyk.

Enige idee wat dit kos?

Mars
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Ek laat my bakkie met baie groter gerustheid daar buite A&S se winkel as by Woodlands Winkel sentrum. Hulle het so 'n paar groot manne wat daar buite rond sit. Dit lyk of hulle daar leeglê tot een van hierdie jong venster brekertjies daar verby sluip. Ek het een dag gesien hoe hulle een wat sommer net verbysluip goed gem03r het. Toe ek een van die winkel assistente vra wat gaan aan toe sê hy hulle duld nie enige verdagte karakters daar rond nie. As jy lyk of jy vir twak rondloop tel jy dit sommer vinnig daar op.

Return to “The Workshop”