SNORKELS ON PETROL HILUX'S

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Obelix and Dogmatix
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: ROODEPOORT
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

SNORKELS ON PETROL HILUX'S

Post by Obelix and Dogmatix »

Afternoon All

After reading a lot about snorkels and there benefits, I have the following questions (I drive the 4.0 v6)

1) Does it really help to improve the fuel consumption (ram air effect etc)?

2) The less dust factor how important is this? As I change my air filter at every service.

The reason I am looking at adding a snorkel is for the (hopefully) improvement on the consumption.

And if I do decide to put on a snorkel which make to go for?

Thanks in advance for all the quick responses :siffler:
Rules are there to make you think before you break them!!!
God made man before
woman so as to give him time
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Thunder02
Town: East Rand
Vehicle: IFS Hilux
Club VHF Licence: HC105

Re: SNORKELS ON PETROL HILUX'S

Post by Thunder02 »

Found with the snorkel it helps a lot with gravel roads to keep dust out, as far as the fuel consumption I cant help, made no difference on the 2.7.
Check 4x4 Direct for a snorkel, can't go wrong there :thumbup:
Not all those who wander are lost!

Scout motto:be prepared....
www.4x4direct.co.za
Email: boksburg@4x4direct.co.za
IFS is like a swambo, soft, sexy and expensive!
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

There should be a slight improvement in power / consumption, but it's so small you will hardly notice it. The real benefit is that it saves the air filter element ... and a dirty filter will result in power loss and higher fuel consumption. The ram-air and cold air induction effects are minimal. ;-)

4x4 Direct was running specials on snorkels, check if it's still going but they're the cheapest in any event.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Get ready to drill some big holes in your LUX :mocking:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Obelix and Dogmatix
Vehicle: HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix, donated to some clown, HILUX 4.0 V6 4x4 named Obelix II Onca front and rear Amade extreme Suspension and under water breathing apparatus

Thunder02 wrote:Get ready to drill some big holes in your LUX :mocking:
Neil

Did you do yours yourself? and if so how difficult (besides the drilling of the first hole!!! :cry: ) what precaution do you need to take wrt protecting the metal and paint?
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
COMMON SENCE IS NOT A GIFT, IT IS A PUNISHMENT!! BECAUSE YOU HAVE TO DEAL WITH EVERYONE WHO DOES NOT HAVE IT!!!
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

WQN wrote:
Neil

Did you do yours yourself? and if so how difficult (besides the drilling of the first hole!!! :cry: ) what precaution do you need to take wrt protecting the metal and paint?
A drilling template is supplied with the snorkel, can't remember what coating is used, will search for you :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Obelix and Dogmatix

Thunder02 wrote:
WQN wrote:
Neil

A drilling template is supplied with the snorkel, can't remember what coating is used, will search for you :thumbup:
Is the coating not supplied? and is the drilling with holesaws and drill bits or just drill bits? and hoe ID10T PROOF is the installation guide. do not feel like replacing my fender just yet :o: :frustrated:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Templates are accurate. Drill securing holes with appropriate sized drill bit and drill big hole with a hole saw (think it's 80mm, there will be an outer and inner panel hole). Coat all exposed metal with a rust converter like "Russist" - I also put some "Tectyl" on afterwards as well as put a rubber edging so that there are no sharp edges to chew through the snorkel wall if they touch. ;-)

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Mud Dog wrote:Templates are accurate. Drill securing holes with appropriate sized drill bit and drill big hole with a hole saw (think it's 80mm, there will be an outer and inner panel hole). Coat all exposed metal with a rust converter like "Russist" - I also put some "Tectyl" on as well. ;-)
Thanks Andy :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Obelix and Dogmatix

Mud Dog wrote:Templates are accurate. Drill securing holes with appropriate sized drill bit and drill big hole with a hole saw (think it's 80mm, there will be an outer and inner panel hole). Coat all exposed metal with a rust converter like "Russist" - I also put some "Tectyl" on afterwards as well as put a rubber edging so that there are no sharp edges to chew through the snorkel wall if they touch. ;-)
Andy

When are you in JHB next, so that I can invite you for a beer and a little bit of drilling??

Seriously thanks for the response
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Sebata
Town: Cosmo City
Vehicle: '06 Hilux 4.0l V6 auto 4x4, Iron-Man front bumper, Ali3n Rock-sliders, Old man Suspention, Snokel, 31" Pireli Scorpion Muds
Club VHF Licence: X125

Post by Sebata »

couldn't bare the sight & the thought of putting holes to my truck hence i let somebody who does that on a daily basis to do it for me, he is also on he west rand
Tau Sello
Sebata, Lion enjoys hunting with Hynas...
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Quentin, if and when I get back up that way it would be nice to hook up and share a couple of pints. :D: I know yours is not a SFA, but there may be some tips here to help you ...

viewtopic.php?f=154&t=16376&start=240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look on page nine of that thread. A pic of the silicone rubber edging that I used was posted on page 1 (I think).

Obelix and Dogmatix

Mud Dog wrote:Quentin, if and when I get back up that way it would be nice to hook up and share a couple of pints. :D: I know yours is not a SFA, but there may be some tips here to help you ...

viewtopic.php?f=154&t=16376&start=240" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Look on page nine of that thread. A pic of the silicone rubber edging that I used was posted on page 1 (I think).
Seems like you know how to make a nervous :frustrated: :mocking:

Thanks seems like I need to order one then read instructions AND THEN DECIDE IF THIS IS A DIY OR NOT.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
IISARGE
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: brackenhurst ext2
Vehicle: 2700i 4x2 hilux

Post by IISARGE »

good day quentin.i also fited my own snorkel if you get stuk in fiting your own snorkel give me a pm . :thumbup:
Piece of Cake...!
ImageImage
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

It's an unnatural thought to be drilling holes into glaringly exposed body panels ... there's also the '2nd guessing yourself' syndrome when doing something for the first time, worrying if you're gonna stuff up. The most difficult thing about the whole job is to commit - once you've drilled that first hole, there's no turning back. ;-)

Quite honestly, I was happier to do it myself than to farm it out. One never knows what kind of a mess they might make and cover it up with the snorkel, maybe not adequately protecting all newly exposed metal and the first you know about it is when you see rust appearing a year or two later. At least if I did it myself, I know what's been done and how it's been done. You tend to go the extra mile because it's your own vehicle ... not saying that all fitment centres won't, but how do you know who will and who won't. :think:

Go for it, just think each step through and then double check yourself.

Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

It's an unnatural thought to be drilling holes into glaringly exposed body panels ... there's also the '2nd guessing yourself' syndrome when doing something for the first time, worrying if you're gonna stuff up. The most difficult thing about the whole job is to commit - once you've drilled that first hole, there's no turning back. ;-)

Quite honestly, I was happier to do it myself than to farm it out. One never knows what kind of a mess they might make and cover it up with the snorkel, maybe not adequately protecting all newly exposed metal and the first you know about it is when you see rust appearing a year or two later. At least if I did it myself, I know what's been done and how it's been done. You tend to go the extra mile because it's your own vehicle ... not saying that all fitment centres won't, but how do you know who will and who won't. :think:

Easy way to commit is to call the scrapyards to get a price on a fender. If it sounds affordable......

Start the DRILL!!!
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

Borntofish wrote:

Easy way to commit is to call the scrapyards to get a price on a fender. If it sounds affordable......

Start the DRILL!!!
:laugh2:
True

www.4x4direct.co.za
Obelix and Dogmatix

Borntofish wrote:

Start the DRILL!!!
'n lielike word en grap gat!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for all the feed back. Just popped into 4x4 megaworld and the installed prices are R3500 - R4500 and up or three hours labour at R399 = R1200 if I supply my own, somehow I think the DIY option is the way to go, now to contact 4x4direct.
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Jeepers! that's steep! Firstly I think R400 an hour is at the upper end of the scale, but to charge 3 hours!! :shock:

IIRC when I did mine it took about 4 hrs in total .... that's doing it for the first time, thinking each move through, double checking myself, interupting the installation (packing tools away and then bringing them out again) and at the time I was unable to get the bakkie close to my workshop, so had to walk about 20 metres back and forth for everything that I needed. I reckon that if it were done in a workshop with everything close at hand, one experienced guy could do it in 2 hrs without pushing it and still having time to spare. :eh:

pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

I think it is BECAUSE you supply your own and not IF you supply your own.
Phone them, acting to be somebody else, and ask them what the labour time a rate will be if you fit one of their snorkels.
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
Obelix and Dogmatix

Thanks for all the responses, the blue monster (to be) is booked in for tomorrow. Sorry to all the DIY pushers but the cost factor came into it. Would not have worked out cheaper to do it myself since Neil organised such a great price for me.

Next will be the removal of the plastics (when money allows) unless there someone with one lying about the back garden :beg: :lmao: :lmao: :beg:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Obelix and Dogmatix

And here is a photo taken during Obelix's operation

God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

By my count that's too many holes :eh:

:tease:
:surrender:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Obelix and Dogmatix

Thunder02 wrote:By my count that's too many holes :eh:

:tease:
:surrender:
SOMETHING WENT INTO EACH HOLE!!!!

And that just sounds so wrong :mocking:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

And final pic :?:
:ttwwp:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Obelix and Dogmatix

Thunder02 wrote:And final pic :?:
:ttwwp:
Happy now?
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
Thunder02

Post by Thunder02 »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

www.4x4direct.co.za
Toppie4x4
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0 V6 DC 4x4

Post by Toppie4x4 »

Nie n moeilike projek nie maar dit is tydsaam.
Weimaraner1
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Randburg
Vehicle: Hilux

Post by Weimaraner1 »

[quote="WQN"]And here is a photo taken during Obelix's operation

Lyk netjies as jy my vra.
Obelix and Dogmatix

[quote="Weimaraner1"][quote="WQN"]And here is a photo taken during Obelix's operation

Lyk netjies as jy my vra.[/quote

But still a *a* feeling / siting when you walk in to the workshop and see your pride and joy full of holes!! :acute:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

WQN wrote:But still a *a* feeling / siting when you walk in to the workshop and see your pride and joy full of holes!! :acute:
You cannot make an omelet without breaking eggs... :twisted: :twisted:

a job well done, and in the bigger scheme of things a vast improvement.. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
JacoBredenkamp
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0D4D 4x4

Post by JacoBredenkamp »

Anyone on the East rand to scared to do this to their own vehicles, we will gladly fit them for you, at a lesser cost than the R1200 Megaworld qouted some good hard working individuals !!

As a matter of fact we are currently busy doing one right now !!

Will post some pics a bit later !!!
stumps
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil
Club VHF Licence: X225

Post by stumps »

JacoBredenkamp wrote:Anyone on the East rand to scared to do this to their own vehicles, we will gladly fit them for you, at a lesser cost than the R1200 Megaworld qouted some good hard working individuals !!

Whats the price on the total package? Snorkel and fitment?
2008 Hilux 4.0L 4x4 (Mufasa)
Toyota 4.0L D/C 4x4; Camil suspesion, Long Range tank, Kilber snorkel

1Co 15:10
But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain;

http://www.sandriver.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.travelconsortium.co.za" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Obelix and Dogmatix

stumps wrote:
JacoBredenkamp wrote:Anyone on the East rand to scared to do this to their own vehicles, we will gladly fit them for you, at a lesser cost than the R1200 Megaworld qouted some good hard working individuals !!

Whats the price on the total package? Snorkel and fitment?
4x4 Megaworld Bryanston charged me less than R2200.00 and they also supplied and fitted 2 extra cargo rails for me in that price.

Hope this gives you an idea.

Skerp potlood nodig hier Jaco :stir:
God made man before
to think of an answer
for her first question

Return to “The Workshop”