Bodywork required

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: 1994 Hilux D/C 2.2 Petrol (4Y SFA)

Bodywork required

Post by Ryperd »

Sadly, Ryperd had a minor run-in with a Kia that didn't stop at a stop street :thumbdown: . The damage is not too bad - I was able to limp home again afterwards, but I think the front-right wheel was pushed back, and the steering doesn't feel right (something feels like it's not aligning properly when I turn the wheel). I don't think any of the vital organs were damaged.

Since neither of us is insured, I'm going to have to try to manage the costs of the repair myself. Can anyone recommend a place / person in Pretoria that does good work and would charge at reasonable rates rather than insurance pricing to get it fixed? I can do the legwork to get the necessary parts if that would save on costs.

Tom Cruiser: 2001 Land Cruiser 79 1HZ
Ryperd: 1994 Hilux D/C 4Y SFA - sold
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Re: Bodywork required

Post by The Legend »

Jammer om te hoor van jou skade,maar ek glo jy sal gou geholpe raak met parte.
Kon die Kia ook huis toe ry of moes hy weg gesleep word?
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Bulletjie-3
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: Hilux Raider SFA met 7M-GE engine

Post by Bulletjie-3 »

Hmmm dis nie lekker nie, sterkte Rudi
pietpetoors
Town: Langebaan
Vehicle: 2.7 Hilux 4x4 DC
Club VHF Licence: X27

Post by pietpetoors »

Het jou diff nie dalk net op die vere geskuif nie
Ek dink nie daai klein stampie sal sommer iets buig nie
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow!
1999 Hilux 2.7i 4x4 Raider DC with 3.4 Prado V6. Rear diff-lock, Bull Bar and rock sliders, 31" Cooper ST Maxx, Snorkel, Alu-Canopy, VHF Motorolla radio, West Coast Rust, Mikem Suspension, Ball Joint Spacers in front and Mikem extended shackles at the rear, 25watt LED Spots
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Rudi dit lyk nie lekker nie

Daar is n Winkel hier in Krugersdorp wat body parte verkoop ek my grill vir R330.00 daar gekoop

ABS (auto body spares)
Boltonia
Krugersdorp

as jy wil kan jy my n lys van parte stuur en ek sal more pryse vir jou kry

Martin
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Ai, ai!

Gerriehet al so joppie of 2 vir my gedoen - 078 714 7384. Ek sal nou nie 'n nuwe Porsche na hom toe vat nie maar hy sal jou SFA weer reg kan buig.
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

Not nice! :( If it happened that the wheel took most of the knock it could be that the banjo housing is slightly bent or even one of the steering arms. Have it checked. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Just some feedback on this, and thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up taking it to Hendrik from HQ Panel Beaters in Krugersdorp, who was recommended through a friend. He did a good job of knocking Ryperd right again, and charged only R6,500 (which included replacing both fenders and the front grill and bumper). I'd recommend them if anyone is looking to get some work done affordably. Hendrik's number is 0h8too 3seven5 331nege.
Mud Dog
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.

Post by Mud Dog »

Good to hear! :thumbup: What was the issue with the steering? Axle shifted? Steering arm bent? Tie-rod bent? Banjo housing bent? :think:

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
CasKru
Town: Benoni
Vehicle: '94 Hilux Raider 2.4i (22RE) DC 4x4
Club VHF Licence: B15

Post by CasKru »

Awesome... pictures or we don't believe you :)
To God be the glory
Hangover
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Deneysville
Vehicle: '76 FJ45 , '13 3.0 D4D Hilux

Post by Hangover »

If the Kia driver didnt stop at the stop street its his fault and he should pay the R6500 bucks... thats a nice new locker at the back...
Hangover(A.K.A die speelding)
1976 FJ45 4x4
1UZ-FE 4.0vvti
2" OME Suspension lift
1.5" Shackle lift
35" Geo MT's
Custom Bullbar
Lockright Locked rear
York OBA
20" LED bar
Nighthawk 100W spots

Dakar
2013 3.0D-4D 4x4 Hilux Dakar
Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Mud Dog wrote:Good to hear! :thumbup: What was the issue with the steering? Axle shifted? Steering arm bent? Tie-rod bent? Banjo housing bent? :think:
It actually turned out not to be too serious when I inspected it in the bonnet. I'm not sure the technical terms here, but the steering shaft runs next to the wheel well, and the impact had bent the bodywork so that it was slightly pressing against the U joint. As I turned the steering wheel, it would catch and then turn as the U joint rotated.

I still have some legwork to do, since the impact of the bull-bar pushed the wheel back slightly on the leaf springs so the left wheel is a bit ahead of the right. Strangely, it doesn't seem to have affected the alignment at all, and there's no wobble or vibration even at moderate speeds. If I turn too sharply to the right, the wheel does brush against the wheel well a bit. Tie rod ends needed doing in any case, and the leaf springs do need re-tensioning, so I'll get it all done at the same time.
Hangover wrote:If the Kia driver didnt stop at the stop street its his fault and he should pay the R6500 bucks...
Ja, I'm following up with her. But neither of us was insured, which makes it a bit less straightforward.
CasKru wrote:Awesome... pictures or we don't believe you :)
I'll try to take some this weekend :)
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Rudi, good to hear that there is no apparent steering damage. Those SFA's are tough, but tough or not, steel does bend or shear with enough force, or sometimes even with lesser force at a critical angle. It will take quite a bit of force to shear the locating pin for the leaf pack, as well as to tear the locating hole in the pedestal and that's what worries me a bit. With that amount of force you CAN bend the banjo housing or even the steering arms.

I don't think you have a steering arm problem if it's not pulling to one side and the alignment is not out on turns - i.e. the alignment is correct in a straight line but the wheels scrub when you turn. If that happens it's because the steering arc geometry for the two front wheels is out and it's the off-set angle of the arms that determine that geometry. A bent banjo housing will also have an effect on this.

Also remember that the LHS front wheel is normally set a little more forward (about 30mm) than the right to compensate for road camber, so that would be normal. However, you say that the RHS wheel now fouls against the wheel well on turns whereas it never did before - that means something is out of kilter. Perhaps the wheel well itself was deformed a bit with the impact, but if not it could be a number of things like the font leg of the chassis rail on that side is bent a little back, or the spring hanger itself is bent back and of course as already mentioned, the possibility of a bent axle housing (which I believe is the most likely) or the leaf pack has shifted on the axle.

I don't mean to scare you or be negative, but I would have it checked out properly. ;-)

Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

Thanks for the words of caution, Andy. How would I know what's going on there? Would it be worth taking it to Dekra to check out, or someone like Louis who knows SFAs?
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Take it past Louis first, let him have a quick sqizz and he can recommend an alignment centre that has both the up-to-date equipment and the staff that are competent enough to use it correctly. ;-)

Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

CasKru wrote:Awesome... pictures or we don't believe you :)
Here you go Cassie. Front left indicator is missing a screw, but other than that looking a whole lot better! :D:

Ryperd
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Ryperd »

While I was working on the car today, I thought I'd post some pictures of the suspension, in case anyone notices something amiss. I'm afraid I don't really know what to look for.

Right front (pushed back):

Left (normal / forward):
The Legend
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Kempton Park
Vehicle: 1994 2.2 4y 4x4 D/C Toyota Hi-Lux
Club VHF Licence: X93-

Post by The Legend »

Your bakkie need a new set front leaf spring
“A BAD DAYS FISHING IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAYS WORK”

“Do what you do so well, that the people that see you do it, will want to see you do it again,and will bring others to see you do it”
Mud Dog

Post by Mud Dog »

Lollie wrote:Your bakkie need a new set front leaf spring
Sjoe! You're riding on the bump-stops!

I cannot see anything amiss on those pics that would be responsible for alignment issues .... the axle does not look like it has shifted on the leaf-packs. Look at the gap between the tie-rod end and the rim on the RHS, then compare that gap with the one on the LHS ... if there is a visible difference then one of the steering arms is bent.

Return to “The Workshop”