Speakers in IFS

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Gary91
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: 2004 Toyota Hilux 3.0 Kz-te

Speakers in IFS

Post by Gary91 »

Hi everyone

Let me just say thanx to those who were so helpful when I replaced my front disc brakes on my IFS.
Still running well as expected with (140000 km) on the clock (barely run in :cooldude:

I am wanting to improve the sound quality as the current standard panasonic speakers that came with it arent quite doing the job any longer.
Considering the size of the rear speakers I was only going to do the front door speakers.

Currently have A Sony Xplode head unit in with 4*45 watt rating. just wanting to know from anyone who has done the same, what they fitted? Big Improvement? size speakers? any hassles along the way?

Thank you Guys

G. Müller
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: Speakers in IFS

Post by Mud Dog »

You should be able to get a couple of 6x9's into the front doors and 6's in the rear. The size and depth of the magnet is something to look out for when choosing speakers since they have to be able to be positioned without fouling the window when it's wound down or the mechanisms of the window winder and central locking units. One can fit spacer rings to the speakers so that the depth into the door is reduced, but then they will stand more proud of the inner door panel and may interfere with the seats if they are too far back in the door. If set low forward they will tend to get kicked.

Best is to remove a front and a rear panel, examine possible positions and take measurements (with the windows wound down) before buying the speakers. ;-)

On my old SFA I fitted 300W 6x9's in front and 200W 6's in the rear but had to use spacers in the rear. ;-)
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Gary91
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Gary91 »

Thanx so much, I had heard that the magnet size was a problem with my model especially, so its something that I will definitely need to check out when doing, Hoping to find anyone else that has hopefully done it already.

Thank you
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

a bad speaker will sound better in a good install than a good speaker will sound in a bad install. so even with your old speakers if you just insulate the doors (there is double gain with this as it blocks road noise and reduces rattles as well) and mount the speaker properly (not just against the door cards) then you will have already have a better sounding system. I personally don't like 6x9's. you can do a direct comparison with them to a 6" round speaker and the round speaker will ALWAYS sound better.
my 2CW
Gary91
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Gary91 »

Yeah I was contemplating insulating the doors with dynamat.
rigardt
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Alberton
Vehicle: 2012 DC Hilux D4D
Club VHF Licence: HC348

Post by rigardt »

Gary91 wrote:Yeah I was contemplating insulating the doors with dynamat.
cant go wrong with that
Thabogrobler
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: '02 'Lux KZ
Club VHF Licence: x223

Post by Thabogrobler »

Dynamat is brilliant, just unbelievebly expensive!

Got a quote last week for R400 a sheet. Is that the going rate?
'02 KZ 'Lux. Cooled. Chipped. Onca'd. Cherished!

If you are a diesel fan, raise your hand.
If you aren't raising your hand, raise your standards!

A 4x4 is merely a machine that enables you to get stuck further away from civilization.
Gary91
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Gary91 »

I'm yet to find out myself. what size is the sheet? anyone else come up with good alternatives?
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

Fit splits in all four doors and a slimline sub behind the seat, no cutting neccesary
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Gary91 wrote:I'm yet to find out myself. what size is the sheet? anyone else come up with good alternatives?
You get a No-name brand of dynamat which is much cheaper and does the same job. Just ask your local installer. I got it at A&S Wholesalers in the Asiatic Bazaar near the fresh produce market in Pretoria West. Maraba stad.
ismail
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Vehicle: Hilux '03 2700i SC 4x4

Post by ismail »

Hi Gareth

Juts from personal experiance first try and install a good quality head unit preferably an Alpine one but not the R1000 ones more like the mid to high end units, R2500 plus, dynamat the doors you'll get an instant difference, got that setup in my own bakkie, if you still want more a set of rockford splits and a slimline sub behind the seat, let me know if you want model no's etc of the units I can advise.
'93 DC 2.2 4x4 33" BF KM2's 60mm lift, Fakawi Canvas Canopy. SOLD
'03 SC 2700i 4x4 32" BFG KM2, SAC stage 1, OME springs, Rancho 9000XL shocks, ARB, Escape Gear seatcovers - goes like a bomb!!!!!!!!!

I surf more than I work
ThysdJ
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: 2010 Hilux D4D 3.0 D/C 4x4
Club VHF Licence: HC102

Post by ThysdJ »

Switch off the radio and listen to the stones hitting the underside of your Hilux on the dirt road... that is music enough.. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Thys de Jager
CEO and Refreshments Manager at Team Offroad.

2010 Hilux 3.0 D4D D/C 4x4 with GOMAD "Brood" Canopy. Tripod.
1997 Jeep Wrangler TJ 4.0 Sport. The original SFA. AGA... Gooi kole
email: thys@teamoffroad.co.za

Like Team Offroad on Facebook...
Wikkels
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Kathu
Vehicle: 1997 Toyota Hilux 2.4 D/C SFA - 2013 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 4x2 D/C

Post by Wikkels »

You can’t go wrong with 6" split systems. Regarding the slim line sub. I have installed an 8" XTC 2000 Watt sub and amp combo underneath the passenger seat in my Triton and the results and quality are pretty good. I didn’t expect that much from such small sub and enclosure, but I’m impressed.
The man who smile when things go wrong thought of someone to blame it on!

Return to “The Workshop”