1KZ-TE Guage keep on blown

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Bushcrazy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 KZ-TE
Club VHF Licence: J82

1KZ-TE Guage keep on blown

Post by Bushcrazy »

Recently the 10A gauge fuse keep on blown resulting all instrument gauges, electric windows, Air Con and electric windows not working.
I don't know where to start to get the problem resolved.
If I insert a new fuse it sometimes don't blow immediately but I can establish when it gets blown.
Anybody that experienced the same or advice what I have to do will really be much appreciated.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Re: 1KZ-TE Guage keep on blown

Post by Mud Dog »

There's obviously a short on one of the circuits fed from that fuse. Not sure what is all connected to it on the KZTE, but if you start switching things on one at a time you should see what's blowing it, then check out that particular circuit. Could be a tedious fault finding mission. :think:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4x4Grant
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Scottburgh
Vehicle: Hilux KZTE

Post by 4x4Grant »

Have you added anything lately that is electrical to you kzte?

I have this same issue and it was an earth issue on the bin. Earth wire was run from the lights to the bin. Problem was it was incorrectly done. Removed it and problem solved.

Sent from my GT-I9295 using Tapatalk
Schools don't need all them number calculatin' classes.
The only math folks need to know is
4 x 4 = Off-Road
Bushcrazy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bushcrazy »

Not sure what is the bin you are referring to?
Bushcrazy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bushcrazy »

Mud Dog - The problem isn't consistent and I can't establish when switching something on or off. I can sometimes drive for a day or two then the fuse blows but if I insert immediately then a new fuse it is blown again immediately.
If I insert a new fuse later then it is fine again.
This really got me puzzled that I why I have start seeking advice on the forum.
I don't even think taking this to an auto electrician will help as the problem isn't consistent?
klippe
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Bronkhorstspruit
Vehicle: 2.5 D4D SRX 4x2

Post by klippe »

I would start by looking where the wires go thru body panels. Sometimes the rubber grommets pull out and the wire shave thru on the body itself and then when you drive it moves around. Thus the inconsistend fuse blowing.Check the electric windows first.
Bushcrazy
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by Bushcrazy »

Good morning.
I last night saw by selecting reverse all gauge lights dim (This I haven't been able to see during daytime), the temperature gauge and rev needle immediately drops to zero. By quickly taking it out of the reverse, I found that the fuse didn't blow and the temperature and rev needle again function normally.
I didn't have time to check the reverse lights last night but saw that they don't come on after selecting reverse.
I will check today if it is the reverse switch, lights etc.
Did any one experienced something like this at a stage?
Rooikappie
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: Table View - CT
Vehicle: 4x4 3.0KZ-TE 2002

Post by Rooikappie »

I had the same problem.
Only when I towing Small trailer. Or anything else plugged into the trailer plug.

The wiring on the trailer plug was wired for reverse lights on the trailer and (Murphy) the pin used for reverse lights , was common earth on the Hilux plug.
Everytime I select reverse with trailer plugged in , blew fuse on E- window , etc.

Hope you get to the answer without stripping wiring to the tailer plug.
^
JohanW
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Strand
Vehicle: 2014 Land Cruiser 76 V8

Post by JohanW »

I had exactly the same problem when selecting reverse on my KZ. The reverse selector switch on the gearbox was tired. Got a replacement one from Barry at ultimate4x4 for cheap.

A interim solution which I used for about 6 months is to simply unplug the plastic connector leading to the switch underneath your vehicle.

Return to “The Workshop”