1995 Hilux raider Dbl Cab 2.4 - 22r - Project – Overhaul

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
barleigh
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD
Town: Durban
Vehicle: 1995 2.4P Toyota Hilux Raider Dbl Cab - 22R

1995 Hilux raider Dbl Cab 2.4 - 22r - Project – Overhaul

Post by barleigh »

overhaul
Verb: – to take apart (a piece of machinery or equipment) in order to examine it and repair it if necessary.
synonyms: - service, maintain, repair, mend, fix up, patch up, rebuild, renovate, revamp, recondition, remodel, refit, refurbish, modernize.

Ok where to start.
Remembering I am a newbie and this is my first 4x4 bakkie…

After finding my dream 4x4 (done 205k km and almost no rust) (I have always loved the shape, height, look and feel of this model ,since I saw my older brother’s one about ‘99/’00 {when I started high School} ) ..And driving it back 3500km from North Western Mozambique to Durban, …I realised a few things.

1. The Carb definitly needed an overhaul as well as new distributor and cables. (>20L/100km)
2. The clutch needed replacing (starting to slip badly)
3. The steering play needed to be fixed.

Other than that , it drove like a dream, … or so I thought.

My luck with vehicles ….
My long term plan is to put on an aluminium canopy and R.T.T and kit it out for the bush and overlanding trips. But first I need to get the engine and mechanics checked and tuned.. this is where my fun begins.
So I take it to our mechanic , had a compression test which came back fine, and got the carb overhauled and a heavy duty clutch put in, got the brakes and wheel bearings checked and the propshaft checked and replaced the universals, replaced the belts and hoses and checked the diff, transfer box and gearbox.

When under they noticed a small leak from a water jacket at the back of the engine. So removed it to replace the gasket. This is where it goes from a dream to a nightmare.

Upon opening it you could immediately see the corrosion near the bottom around where the gasket needs to sit, (apparently due to sitting for prolonged time and lack of anti-freeze?) and this now needed to go for aluminium welding to be able to fit the gasket properly. No problem, so the head comes off to go to get welded and bam …unbeknown to me the head was in fact blown.. and cracked and there was signs of previous welding having been done inside, and the cam shaft badly worn in places. Funny as it ran well – just a gas guzzler :? .

So here we are now looking for a new head and camshaft and and and … instead of my minor fixes im going to need to do some major ones. But before I go on I thought I would get some advice from all you seasoned Hilux professionals as to what to do next.

As it is open now I decided I might as well do a complete overhaul and try get it back to as close as new as possible, and as I am a newbie I want to make sure I get everything done and not leave anything out.

I want to put a list together of what would need to be checked, replaced and changed, in not only the engine but throughout the cab as it is almost 20 years old and not having much history on any previous services or work done, I want to do it right as I plan on keeping this guy for the next 20 years if I get that far :beg:

I will write down what I have been told/understand so far but will greatly appreciate any additional information that I may have omitted or gotten wrong. And rough prices will help if you have.
Thanks.

Engine: 1995 22R 2.4 petrol (not sure of what has to be done to engine from inside out?)

Heart:
Replace head?
cam shaft?
big ends ?
conrods?
timing chain?
seals
gaskets
valves, stem , guides & seals?
reamed& rebored
oversize pistons?
oversize rings ?
…..?

Brains: ?

General Organs:
Overhaul carb (done)
replace distributor cap and cables (done)
new spark plugs (done)
replace thermostat
check radiator, clean and flush
replace water hoses
replace water pump
replace Fuel pump & filter
replace oil pump & filter
replace fan belts and bearings
replace air filter
check alternator / recondition
check starter motor / recondition
check airconditioner & filters

Spine & Joints:
heavy duty clutch and seals (done)
replace prop shaft centre bearing & universal joints & check balance (done)
check gearbox, check mounting & replace seals
Check diff & transfer box & seals
Check Engine mountings
Check Cv joints and seals
check exhaust system / manifold & gasket
Grease all lubricate all nipples ,points etc

Feet:
Replace brakes and check
Check Wheel hubs, replace bearings & seals
New tyres & Spare

Skin:
paint with stone chip where necessary
respray

Finished Testing:
Compression test?
dyno test?

Well this is off the top of my head so please if I have missed anything your help will be greatly appreciated, especially in regard to the actual engine and components. Thanks in advance all.
dd6
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: 1995 SFA

Re: 1995 Hilux raider Dbl Cab 2.4 - 22r - Project – Overhaul

Post by dd6 »

Start collecting spares for a fuel injection conversion. Something that vehicle should have been sold with from the start! It will even be better than the overhauled carb.
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Why don't you look at fitting a different engine WL2.5 Mazda diesel or 7mge or 2jz supra

Cost maybe be the same as overhaul on yours plus fitting Fuel injection

I have a 2.4 with EFI and would fit a complete engine( jap import) instead of doing complete overhaul,if my engine blows

Martin
niclemaitre
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Stellenbosch
Vehicle: 99 IFS DC 4x4

Post by niclemaitre »

The play in the steering is usually as a result of of worn out springs in the drag link and/or worn ball joints in the tie rod ends. Get them replaced
Happy trails
Nic

SFA '97 DC - affirmatively shopped
SFA '87 DC "Rooies" - sold
IFS '99 DC "Benny"
barleigh
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by barleigh »

Thanks Jaco & Martin,
I have seen a lot of information and advice on the forum about doing the fuel injection conversion & on fitting different engines
but for now I am wanting to keep the 22R as is, and get it running as good as new, and I dont mind it being a little more thirsty.
This is going to be a long term project for me, in getting the van totally redone but for now i want to get the mechanics and engine up to 110% ;-)

Thanks Nic,
Good to know , will definitely add it to the list. Good to know what possible problems can be on a 20 year old vehicle.

If anyone has any more info on what I will need to replace & renew engine wise for the 22R to "overhaul" it please do :thumbup:
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

Look in the workshop manual at the top of our site, in the steering section ,they describe how to tighten the play in steering box ,also a cause of loose steering
Gemini Parts up here sell new complete draglink for R450.00 if yours is very damaged

Martin
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

niclemaitre wrote:The play in the steering is usually as a result of of worn out springs in the drag link and/or worn ball joints in the tie rod ends. Get them replaced
Got mine replaced at 4xLux last week for R1600.
This includes a completely new drag link arm and a new ball conversion that fits into the drag link arm
on the wheels side (sorry don't know what that bent arm is called). :blushing:
I can definitely feel a difference with no play on the steering wheel. :thumbup:
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

4x4BEES wrote:
niclemaitre wrote:The play in the steering is usually as a result of of worn out springs in the drag link and/or worn ball joints in the tie rod ends. Get them replaced
Got mine replaced at 4xLux last week for R1600.
This includes a completely new drag link arm and a new ball conversion that fits into the drag link arm
on the wheels side (sorry don't know what that bent arm is called). :blushing:
I can definitely feel a difference with no play on the steering wheel. :thumbup:
Called a steering arm. Because of it's unusual shape on the SFA, SFA owners sometimes call it a "J" arm.
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
4x4BEES
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Brackenfell
Vehicle: Hilux 4.0V6

Post by 4x4BEES »

Thanks uncle Eric :thumbup: :thumbup:

EDIT :slap: :slap:
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Skuus oom Andy :blushing: :slap:
Last edited by 4x4BEES on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

4x4BEES wrote:Thanks uncle Eric :thumbup: :thumbup:
Oom Eric's the guy who just had a finger stuck up you know where ... not me, no, no .... :lol:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Family_Dog
Town: Klerksdorp
Vehicle: Hilux DC SFA, Hilux 2.7 DC, Hilux 2.7 SC, Prado 95 VX
Club VHF Licence: HC101

Post by Family_Dog »

Andy... at your advanced years it would have to be nearly a daily test for you. Just remember to first switch your cell-phone off... :lol:

-F_D

White Fang: 1999 2.7i DC Raider 4x4
Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2.2 DC 4x4
Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4
Hound Dog: 2000 2.7i SC 4x4

One Staffie, One Jack Russell, One Ring Neck Screecher, 17 Fish of questionable heritage

barleigh
High Range 2WD
High Range 2WD

Post by barleigh »

Thanks Martin, Kevin & Andy,

I have been studiously going through the workshop manual, Thanks for reminding me about it :blushing: .

Always good though to get the advice from fellow users that have "been there and done that"
and its the advice thats not written in the manuals that makes all the difference. :thumbup:

Will keep you posted on the progress hopefully with some pics along the way.

Have a good week.

:subscribed:

Return to “The Workshop”