Steering wheel shake….?

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Andrew Schmidt
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Meadowbrook
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3 D4D 4X4 D/C

Steering wheel shake….?

Post by Andrew Schmidt »

Hi All,

I am having a bit of a problem with my lux. I did the rotation, alignment and balancing again now at 50000 (last week) and the steering wheel shakes between 107km/h and 119km/h. I took it back this morning for re-balancing and the problem still exists. She tracks straight and doesn't pull to either side. Is this just a balancing problem or should I be looking for something else?

Ps… I rotate, balance etc… ever 10000 and the only problem that solved it was to replace the tyres at 15000, no problems since then.

Thanks
Andrew Schmidt
KZ-TE 2x4 D/C WLH 914 GP - Fatally injured by a Cement Truck
2005 Nissan Hardbody 3L TD 4X4 Double cab - SWJ 947 GP The Silver Bullet!!!!- Sold
Toyota Hilux 3 D4D D/C 4X4 CK 43 SB GP Needless to say anymore...
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Re: Steering wheel shake….?

Post by Hoppy »

Except for wheel balancing, the CV joints/sideshafts is the only other part that can cause that, but they must be worn out realy bad before they cause a vibration

My guess will still be tyres or a bent rim
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Masekind
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Lichtenburg
Vehicle: 2005 Hilux 4x4 v6, LR tank, ARB Bumper. (iJzer)

Post by Masekind »

Hoppy wrote:Except for wheel balancing, the CV joints/sideshafts is the only other part that can cause that, but they must be worn out realy bad before they cause a vibration

My guess will still be tyres or a bent rim
+1
If you don’t build your dreams someone else will hire you to build there’s
Andrew Schmidt
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Andrew Schmidt »

Thanks guys,

Been back to supa quick, they printed a report that stated that the shocks needed replacement after re-balancing the wheels and making sure that the rims are not bent. Took the lux to Toyota for warranty shock replacement, only to be told that I need to take it to bridge stone to have the wheels checked to see if they are out of round. Needless to say the lux is in the naughty corner and I am getting rather fed up with this. :punch:
Andrew Schmidt
2005 Nissan Hardbody 3L TD 4X4 Double cab - SWJ 947 GP The Silver Bullet!!!!- Sold
mcw
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: krugersdorp
Vehicle: Prado 90 V6 3.4 Auto
Club VHF Licence: X100

Post by mcw »

IMHO opnion shocks can only be properly tested if they are removed from vehicle ,if you are In Joburg take car to Mikem and ask them to test shocks

Martin
Mikem1
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: JHB
Vehicle: Isuzu 3.0 D-tec

Post by Mikem1 »

Hi Andrew.
We can check the shocks etc no problems if we change rims and tyres.
Put a different tyre and rim for a test drive and see if it still persists!

Regards
Darrell
Mikem suspensions
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

Bridgestone will never admit that the tyres are out of round. That is easily established when they are balancing the tyres. I started getting a very faint steering wheel shake when my shocks were going.
subok
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Jhb - Somerset West
Vehicle: Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4 D/C - Kitted for overlanding
Club VHF Licence: HC152

Post by subok »

Flat spots on tyres will also cause a shake.
Andrew Schmidt
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD

Post by Andrew Schmidt »

Shot for all the information! At this stage everybody is pointing fingers so I have to follow the process to get it sorted out. FYI, I had to replace the tyres at 25000 Km because of an out of round problem and this was done free of charge. My suspicion still lies with the shocks as the problem worsens on uneven surfaces, but this could also just be my mind exaggerating the issue because of my foul demeanour at this stage.

Darrell I really appreciate the offer and I will probably take you up on it. I will give you a call next week to set something up.
Kobus, the tyres are wearing badly and I suspect that there are flat spots on them, and I have been meticulous with regards to rotation and balancing etc… IMHO the tyres should not be wearing this badly after 26000 km.

I will follow their process of elimination and I will take Darrell up on his offer as to do my own investigation and keep this thread up to date.
I have a sneaky feeling that this lux was a Friday afternoon car… as this is not the first time I have had nonsense with her. Nevertheless, this is why we have warranties.

Have a good weekend everybody…
Andrew Schmidt
Mars
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

If you drove 25000 ks with out of round tyres the shocks will have taken a hammering probably wearing in the few millimeters of travel around the normal compressed position. Uneven wear on tyres causing flat spots is due to worn shocks.

Return to “The Workshop”