Stealers or Pirate???

Having problems with your vehicle? Or need advice on repairing or servicing your Hilux? This is the place to ask for help
Xtreme 4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD
Town: edenvale
Vehicle: Hilux

Stealers or Pirate???

Post by Xtreme 4x4 »

Hi Guys,
1st question? the timing chain on my SFA (92, 4y, 110 000 kms) has started to make a noise. The noise is heard when the vehicle is driven for a long while and on high revs only, replaced the tensioner but didn't help, does the chain need to be replaced?
2nd question?
The stealers want R2500 for the kit, the Pirates (midas, Auto zone, etc) ask R750 for the set and say that many bakkies and taxis are using them with no issues. what do you guys say? should I buy from the stealers or pirates?
Warrior
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Brackenfell Cape Town
Vehicle: 08 Vigo 4x4 d/c 4.0L auto
Club VHF Licence: X138

Re: Stealers or Pirate???

Post by Warrior »

Dont forget to phone Goldwagen for prices.
They sell quality parts with one year guarantee.
Some of the parts is also original Toyota like the thermostat I just replaced on my Vigo - has the Toyota badge and nr on.
Xtreme 4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Xtreme 4x4 »

Thanks Eben,
Seems like the Goldwagen guys only have parts for the newer Luxes... am sure they'll stock them in the near future (once they realise how many taxis run on the 4y motors..)
Borntofish
LR 4WD Full Lockers
LR 4WD Full Lockers
Town: Johannesburg
Vehicle: Hilux 86

Post by Borntofish »

Have you tried Gemini Auto parts? Zero one one 334 1417
Mud Dog
Town: East London
Vehicle: '90 SFA Hilux DC 4X4, Full OME, 110mm lift. Brospeed branch, 50mm ss freeflow exhaust. 30 x 9.5 Discoverer S/T's on Viper mags. L/R tank. (AWOL) '98 LTD 2.4 SFA, dual battery system. Dobinson suspension, LR tanks, 31" BF mud's.
Club VHF Licence: HC103

Post by Mud Dog »

I wouldn't skimp on a timing chain ..... the cheapies might stretch way before the OEM and you're back to square one - worst case scenario the chain snaps and you've got buggered pistons, bent valves and maybe even a damaged head. :eh:
When your road comes to an end ...... you need a HILUX!.

Life is like a jar of Jalapeño peppers ... what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow.
Don't take life too seriously ..... no-one gets out alive.
It's not about waiting for storms to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
And be yourself ..... everyone else is taken!
Tyrone D4D
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: cape town
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D4D

Post by Tyrone D4D »

I would recommend don't use a pirate part(have had a lot of headaches with midas in the past year).I bought a part for my Vigo 2 weeks ago and spoke nice to the salesman and received 20% off on my parts.
Jacques T
High Range 4WD
High Range 4WD
Town: Centurion
Vehicle: SFA Hilux

Post by Jacques T »

Xtreme 4x4 wrote:Thanks Eben,
Seems like the Goldwagen guys only have parts for the newer Luxes... am sure they'll stock them in the near future (once they realise how many taxis run on the 4y motors..)

Seems Goldwagen doesn't know much. I tried to buy a service kit for my E90 320d BMW 2 months ago. They told me that the E90 never never came out in 320d. (Wierdapark branch)
antlo69
LR 4WD Rear Locker
LR 4WD Rear Locker
Town: Pretoria North
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux 3.0 D-4D, leveling kit, 17" with A/T BFg's, sadly stil some Tupperware, wish list growing by the day

Post by antlo69 »

Don't go the pirate route. My very clueless indie this month had to replace my clutch master 3 x times. I only later found out he used the cheap pirate ones instead of the original one. Replaced it myself with original one and gone is my problems. We love our Hiluxes, treat them with quality goodies.
"Must be a Toyota, must be a diesel and must run on BFG's"
Xtreme 4x4
Low Range 4WD
Low Range 4WD

Post by Xtreme 4x4 »

Thanks guys, makes a lot of sense Andy and Antonie... Think ill go OEM this time round...
Mars
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
LR4WD, Lockers, Crawler Gears
Town: Pretoria
Vehicle: Toyota Hilux Dakar 2.8 GD-6 DC 4X4

Post by Mars »

I agree. On critical components that can destroy your engine in an instant I would go oem.
Hoppy
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Hilux SFA & IFS

Post by Hoppy »

I have used aftermarket timing chain kits on 4y's, no problems, it is an over designed double chain, unlike the 22R where you can only use genuine.
aev@iburst.co.za
The trouble with trouble is...it always starts as fun.
The most precious jewels you will ever wear around your neck is the arms of your children...
" I WOULD RATHER SIT ON THE TAILGATE OF MY HILUX WITH A BEER AND A CHOP, WATCHING A FIRE, THAN DINE IN THE BEST RESTAURANT IN TOWN "
Mr_B
Monster Truck
Monster Truck
Town: Cape Town
Vehicle: Honda Jazz

Post by Mr_B »

Masterparts here is Cape Town sell good quality timing chains for the 4Y, used one in my SFA, no problems.

Return to “The Workshop”